back to article British teachers' pensions set to be released from Capita's grasp after nearly 30 years

The UK's Department for Education is to retender the outsourcing contract for teachers' pensions in a deal worth £185m to replace a relationship with Capita that has lasted 25 years. According to a tender notice published late last week, Whitehall is on the hunt for a new contractor to run the Teachers' Pension Scheme (TPS). …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Facepalm

British teachers' pensions set to be released from Capita's grasp after nearly 30 years

Really? Why do you think the new contract won't go to Capita again, since that's what happened last time?

1. wolfetone Silver badge

Re: British teachers' pensions set to be released from Capita's grasp after nearly 30 years

Never underestimate the ability of a competitor being even more useless than you are.

2. xyz123 Silver badge

Re: British teachers' pensions set to be released from Capita's grasp after nearly 30 years

Because Capita is being audited for "financial irregularities" with regards to the entire pension fund.

Taking bets on what % of it they've stolen and hidden away......and how many low-level employees they'll try to scapegoat.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. PS1212

Wait, are they really?

I tried searching on Google and couldn't find any info about it.

2. JohnMurray

I wonder which American company will get the contract.....

1. elwe

Probably unlikely. It takes many years to build up knowledge of the 'intricacies' of the UK system.

I used to work in pensions admin software and when I left the unique key on the pensioners database table had grown to (full_name, DOB, NI_number, place_of_birth). NI numbers are supposed to be unique, but there are thousands of duplicates. You do get people with the same (full_name, DOB, place_of_birth), (full_name, NI_number, place_of_birth) etc. We had to add fields to the unique key over time as we discovered more mistakes in the NI number issuing system.

1. Pascal Monett Silver badge

That sounds like the hallmark of a very badly thought-out procedure for creating NI numbers, and a rich revenue stream for Capita.

2. Alan_Peery

Thus making paperwork forever fun for someone who had pension contributions while on a temporary NI number that had been created with her maiden rather than married name...

3. Julz

NINOs have never been unique. No one should ever think they are or were. At one point there were three offices issuing NINOs, guess what happened. Even now, a new NINO is not always unique and they are being issued from one source. Go figure.

If you want unique, how about having a pension scheme number?

2. John Robson Silver badge

Not american, it will be the newly formed company of a Thieving MP's significant other.

1. Uncle Slacky Silver badge

...or pub landlord.

2. Commswonk

Not american, it will be the newly formed company of a Thieving MP's significant other.

FFS not Dido Harding again

Anyone but her, perlease...

3. elwe

"It is currently run by Capita's Employee Benefits business in Darlington, which forms part of the company's People Solutions division."

A People Solutions division sounds like something from Germany in the late 30s and early 40s...

1. Kane
      Alien

"A People Solutions division sounds like something from Germany in the late 30s and early 40s..."

"Come out of the shadows, Voter."

"What's the beef? Did she steal your lunch box?"

"M -- mm -- many apologies, Voter Colonel."

"You know me?"

"Of course, Voter Colonel."

"Who am I?"

"You are Colonel Sebastian Doyle, Section Chief of CGI, Head of the Ministry of Alteration."

"Remind me a little: what do we do at the Ministry of Alteration?"

"You -- change people, Sir."

"In what way?"

"You change them from being alive people, to being dead people. To purify Democracy."

"Purify?"

"No one has done more to purge the ballot boxes than the Voter Colonel."

1. Fr. Ted Crilly Silver badge

You forgot the space mumps...

2. KittenHuffer Silver badge

The small rouge one strikes. "Back to Life" IIRC.

I don't want to be Dwayne Dibley!!!!

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Fully Digital?

So, my 84 year old mother, who can't use the internet, will be stuffed.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Meh

Re: Fully Digital?

Half of people aged 75 and over don't regularly use the Internet.

Not that they'll get many complaints. That form will be online too.

1. Alan_Peery

And the ones that used to successfully use the internet and registered for online statements will cause great confusion to their executors when passwords are given only for the main email account. :-(

2. CountCadaver Silver badge

My 86 year old grandad wanted to pay his tax bill online, try to login to govt gateway, turns out whoever created the login didn;t write down the password, try to reset - needs an authentication app, ok download it....except it wants you to login first....

Try to create new account - asks for valid passport, NI driving licence and one other piece of data he did have, passport out of date and doesn't live in NI so no NI driving licence, try gov.uk verify again can't locate enough data (no valid passport, no mobile contract etc etc)

Solution....write a cheque....

HMRC helpline can't get you into the online system despite them verifying your ID on the phone...even my bank can remote reset my password over the phone...absolutely useless....

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

'low cost, high quality'

No such thing.....

6. adam payne

The UK's Department for Education is to retender the outsourcing contract for teachers' pensions in a deal worth £185m to replace a relationship with Capita that has lasted 25 years.

Are the bookies issuing odds on Crapita getting the contract again?

1. WanderingHaggis

What I'm trying to get my head around is the concept that they have done a good job. For once has out sourcing worked? I need to go lie down in a dark room.

7. jfollows

Many reports of poor administration

The Guardian (no surprise there) has reported recently how badly the scheme appears to be administered, and points to Trustpilot which is especially bad in its reviews.

8. Gilbert Wham

Ooh! Ooh!

Can we sack them from Primary Care Support England next? Pleeeeeaaaase! That would make my job orders of magnitude better.

9. AndrueC Silver badge
    Joke

I'll do it. I even know how to create and edit spreadsheets.

1. Strahd Ivarius Silver badge

So you plan to manage only about 64000 people?

1. AndrueC Silver badge
  10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Writing on the wall

Capita's contracts are falling like dominoes, everyone's had enough of their crap(ita) and I wouldn't bet the farm on them regaining the contract. Anon because we're ditching Capita right now

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It is about time pension contributors or pensioners had a proper say in how their funds are managed. The old company pension schemes are now run by profitmaking insurance or investment companies for their own benefit and the government schemes are no better.

The only thing people can do now is withdraw or transfer funds and pay huge hidden charges for the "service".

12. codejunky Silver badge

Or

They could have private pensions like the rest of us. The infrastructure is already there, the companies have web interfaces and degrees of flexibility based on what people desire. Do the same with those civil servants too.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Or

Oh yes, let's do that , can you back date the pay rises I didn't get 'because you get a public sector pension'.? After all, not really fair that all those lawyers, accounts, double glazing and timeshare salesmen should miss out on a lucrative opportunity to rip off hospital porters and school teachers....

1. codejunky Silver badge

Re: Or

@AC

You actually sum up the problem. We are all equal but some more equal than others

13. Binraider Silver badge

How on earth does rolling out a standardised pension toolbox, that is probably used for tens if not hundreds of other customers come to £185M?

There are off the shelf solutions available for all manner of financial services, and in our experience, they practically will give them to you for nothing because they make far more off taking cuts of investment fund management. Especially when it's a large fund with lots of participants. Being charged on both the operation AND the investment fund is atrocious!

In hindsight, signing 25 year tie-ins for just about any service provision is probably a bad idea in most forms of procurement.

Like a lot of things, I'd prefer the option to choose myself where it goes; but many employee schemes don't really allow for that for the duration of your employment. Nor is making informed financial choices yourself particularly a widespread skill!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like