back to article Gartner Gartner on the wall, which is the hypest cycle of them all?

It always comes around sooner than you think. With a large slice of fantasy, cultural mythology, and suspension of disbelief, it's time to get out the tinsel and celebrate the arrival of this year's Gartner hype cycle. Officially the "Hype Cycle for Emerging Technologies, 2021", the research documents trends the tech industry …

1. My-Handle

Gartner's Hype Cycle report is useful...

How else would we fill out our management buzzword bingo cards for the next few months?

1. teknopaul

Re: Gartner's Hype Cycle report is useful...

Remove @oracle.com from your spam filter?

2. Plest Silver badge
    Facepalm

The title says it all!

It's called the "Hype Cycle", that says all I need to know!

Right, back in the real world and get back to working on these old Windows2008R2/SQL Server 2012 boxes that the company won't let go of in case the ancient in-house app that keeps the company afloat stops working!

1. elsergiovolador Silver badge

Re: The title says it all!

It was called "Hype Train", but they wanted to appear eco-friendly so they changed it to "Hype Cycle".

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Yeah, but the "Hype Cycle" sounds like a tribute to the biks in TRON to me.

Did Disney buy them out? :)

2. Anonymous Coward
      Facepalm

It's 'Gartner' in the title that says it all. They make 'hype' redundant. All their big press releases are hype.

3. trevorde Silver badge

Missing phase

Tomb of Despair

just after the 'Trough of Disillusionment', it is a pit into which hyped technologies disappear, only to reemerge a few years later in 'Technology Trigger'. Some technologies are doomed to this cycle forever eg VR, AR, quantum computing

1. Pascal Monett Silver badge
      Thumb Down

Re: Missing phase

You posted that exact same comment in the Gartner Debunked article.

You could have gone through the effort of at least sprucing it up a bit.

1. DJV Silver badge
        Happy

He did - he put a different posting date on it!

2. Potemkine! Silver badge

Reusability is a pillar of IT (claim vendors for the last 50 years)

3. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: You posted that exact same comment

It's just statistics.

The likelihood of commentard repeating themselves, that is.

Thank goodness that you and I are not so fallible. ;-)

4. Greybearded old scrote Silver badge

Even a stopped clock

Has anyone kept track of Gartner's predictions?

I remember when they were frequently predicting that Linux would never amount to anything, 'coz Windows Rulez! Now only desktops and iThings have a significant presence of anything else.

1. Charlie Clark Silver badge

Re: Even a stopped clock

Most of the predictions are total wank. But the curve itself has proved useful, not least for fending questions from clueless MBAs.

And Linux is still only a server OS. But we didn't need Gartner to know that.

1. eswan

"And Linux is still only a server OS. But we didn't need Gartner to know that."

And telephones. And televisions, And embedded systems, switches, routers. And my desktop.

1. katrinab Silver badge
          Linux

And possibly your phone? Mine isn't, but a substantial proportion of phones out there are.

2. Charlie Clark Silver badge
          Stop

Android uses the Linux kernel but is mainly not Linux. Remember, the Stallman thinks it's only Linux if it uses all the GNU userland. And then Google might even (but probably won't) replace that kernel at some point.

1. katrinab Silver badge
            Paris Hilton

No, he insists on calling it GNU/ Linux. Google’s offering would be Android/Linux using the same naming convention.

2. Inkey

Ahh why exactly....

is linux a server only os?

As far as im concerned it's an anthing os ...

Win doh s is just an office360 os

Try flying an aircraft on another planet with mSoft

1. katrinab Silver badge

Linux is dominant everywhere, except the desktop, though it can be used for that; and possibly firewall / vpn type stuff where FreeBSD seems to be a lot more popular. And maybe gaming consoles. XBox I think is based on Windows, PlayStation OS is based on FreeBSD.

2. DS999 Silver badge

I still remember how they were predicting Windows Phone would quickly overtake iPhone and even challenge Android for worldwide market share. Oops.

5. Potemkine! Silver badge

Sci-Fi

Gartner is fun, but I nonetheless prefer Phllip K. Dick. His anticipations look more realistic than Gartner's ones.

1. Arthur the cat Silver badge

Re: Sci-Fi

Hmm. Zuckerberg as Palmer Eldritch. Shudder.

6. steamnut

Wonderment in words...

Now I know what the expression "word salad" really means.

They probably have a simple program with a random number generator and a list of the latest buzzwords and just press "run". The joke is that people pay them massive sums of money to read it!

1. Geoff May (no relation)

Re: Wonderment in words...

... and I bet they nicked the code from the BOFH Excuse Generator.

2. Richard 12 Silver badge

Who is paying them, anyway?

The spam I get promising "market infomations" is generally more accurate, and that gets (manually) tossed into the dumpster until the spam filter learns the patterns of the latest hype cycle.

3. sebacoustic
      Linux

M-x dissociated-press

is the command you're referring to?

7. Anonymous Coward
    Devil

Aahh, Yes!

"Technology innovation is a key enabler of competitive differentiation and is the catalyst for transforming many industries [ ...]"

That clarifies everything. Thank You, Gartner.

1. Howard Sway Silver badge

Re: Aahh, Yes!

Were they around in the Victorian age?

"We predict further innovation in the design and speed of canal boat transport, due to the continued failure of 'Puffing Jessy' to run on steel rails in Q2 1821".

8. Chris G

"Technology innovation is a key enabler of competitive differentiation and is the catalyst for transforming many industries,"

Thank you Gartner! Thank you so much!

For stating the bleeding obvious.

I'll make a prediction; 'This prediction will be more likely to bear fruit than the next prediction from Gartner.'

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Then there is the "eternal" hype cycle - commercial fusion reactors, new ultra long life batteries, Brexit as a profitable decision for the UK, etc.

1. ravenviz Silver badge

You forgot flying cars.

1. Chris G

Shirley the biggest current member of the hyper hype club is AI?

1. Dpoxon

Foundation models, actually - and stop calling me "Shirley."

10. imanidiot Silver badge
    Facepalm

Why oh why

Is anyone paying Gartner for this useless drivel?

11. Cuddles

composable networks

Hopefully I'm not the only one who read that as "compostable networks". Could be a useful way to make IT greener.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like