back to article 38 million records exposed by misconfigured Microsoft Power Apps. Redmond's advice? RTFM

Forty-seven government entities and privacy companies, including Microsoft, exposed 38 million sensitive data records online by misconfiguring the Windows giant's Power Apps, a low-code service that promises an easy way to build professional applications. Security biz UpGuard said that in May one of its analysts found that the …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

You said what?

"... Tracy Barnes, chief information officer for the State of Indiana, ..."

Can someone start a public web site of "doesn't get security" CxOs? Just copy the pertinent bits of news and court reports. Or even just URLs to those.

Even with a disclaimer of " apparently doesn't get security", it would serve as a wall of shame.

2. Soft

а чем помочь??

1. Roland6 Silver badge

Sending your CV to Indiana Department of Health (IDOH) might be a good first step...

I assume your contact address is: 24 Kuznetsky Most, Moscow.

3. IGotOut Silver badge

Low Code =

No Clue.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Facepalm

RTFM, Everybody, Now

And, as the Emperor Penguin said, "don't do it again."

Low code is still code and there's a limit to how much you can protect people from there own stupidity

1. Lil Endian Silver badge

4GLs

They tried it in the 80s, 90s... you can make coding easier, but you can't take the Muppet out of the show.

1. Gene Cash Silver badge

Re: 4GLs

"The reason programming is hard is because you must clearly and unambiguously state what you want to have happen. Irreducible complexity is irreducible."

2. ICL1900-G3

The Last One

Anyone else remember Scotty Bamford and The Last One? It was going to end the need for programmers. Apparently it didn't.

5. C. P. Cosgrove

Ms. Barnes is just continuing a long standing tradition -

Shoot the messenger !

Chris Cosgrove

6. katrinab Silver badge
    Paris Hilton

I’ve been doing data scraping on some of these portals, and a few of them have SQL queries passed from the browser.

That seems to be just asking for trouble.

1. Gene Cash Silver badge

ObXKCD

https://xkcd.com/327/

7. Pascal Monett Silver badge

"Low-code platform comes with high expectations"

And that's where it falls flat on its face.

Low code is a misnomer, a lie. Joe Public is going to believe that it will allow him to easily make the program he needs, but the provider is going to have 1000 pages of EULA to ensure that any cock-up is Joe Public's fault.

Just like a Tesla, actually. Except that, with low code, at least you won't kill yourself letting it drive itself.

1. Lil Endian Silver badge

Re: "Low-code platform comes with high expectations"

Yep.

Marketing tries to make all things consumer.

Cars do not drive themselves (yet). IT does not know what you mean (yet).

Drivers drive. Programmers program. Engineers engineer.

DdPpEe <-- Copyleft

1. ThatOne Silver badge
        FAIL

Re: "Low-code platform comes with high expectations"

> Marketing tries to make all things consumer

Indeed, and that's precisely the problem here: On the one hand everything is dumbed down, on the other hand it still requires the same situation awareness and analytical mind.

That's never going to work, people either pay attention or they don't. You can't dumb down the GUI and leave the underlying principles as complex as those of a full-fat system. That is valid for a huge range of things, from self-driving cars to all kinds of computer programs, websites, and all the other stuff apparently needing dumbing down to appeal to the idiots among the prospective clients.

8. Mike 137 Silver badge

""To secure a list, you must configure Table Permissions for the table ..."

Why not secured by default, requiring reconfiguration to make the list public? This principle is so basic.

1. ThatOne Silver badge

Re: ""To secure a list, you must configure Table Permissions for the table ..."

I guess because then their support would get flooded by calls of "Why can't I access my data???"...

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Everytime I create a DB I create immediataley some roles also with the required permissions only, and developers get user with such roles assigned. Occasionally while creating a new table I may forgot to grant permissions to a role, and of course that breaks something until I fix it.

Developers immediately complain "why can't we have the database owner user, so permission are not an issue?" Guess why not...

2. EarthDog

That's one of the reasons I like PostgreSQL. It comes out of the box paranoid

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Mr Tracy Barnes?

Que?

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

Re: Mr Tracy Barnes?

Apparent that is a real mans name in the USA :-)

10. Filippo Silver badge

"promises an easy way to build professional applications"

Looks like it's either not so easy, or the resulting applications are not so professional.

11. Vader

Any can code.

This is BS. You need to know what you're doing.

12. David Woodhead

Where are they now #237

Anyone else remember 'The Last One - the only software you'll ever need to buy'?

13. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

"Power Apps provides a way for those who are not professional coders to build custom business applications that interact with data from Microsoft Dataverse"

Considering some of the Big Names in the list of clients, where are their "professional coders"?

14. JamesTGrant
    Meh

A wonderful set of words, selling the dream!

‘Low code’ is a term that sounds like it was invented by Marketing and picked up by ‘fake it til you make it’ folk who have become responsible for ‘making stuff happen’ in an organisation dispute a good enough track record in the relevant areas.

A decent set of market requirements, a decent set of engineering requirements will guide the design and hence the most suitable tooling. But it seems the implementation paradigm is chosen very early. Also, seems that the engineering testing phase and documentation simply is crud in these projects - like ‘is data accessible from outside the system, test all the API endpoints as a non-authenticated user/getter.’

My guess is that a lot of these low code implementations lack proper development processes or governance and are put into service when they ‘work’ and IT supports it and that’s the end of the project. The users don’t know if it’s a mess of licenced blobs thrown together, and IT aren’t responsible for auditing the design or implementation of systems they are ‘given’ to support. And so the company bumbles along never checking how much technical debt or risk they are accruing until the wheels fall off completely in a totally inevitable way.

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"Power Apps provides a way for those who are not professional coders to build custom business applications"

Sounded perfectly reasonable... until someone added the word 'business'

16. Mike 137 Silver badge

"High" code as well...

"a lot of these low code implementations lack proper development processes or governance and are put into service when they ‘work"

That sounds extremely familiar to me across the entire range of organisations I've consulted with. I've never encountered either an internal dev team that followed formally documented (or even rule of thumb standardised) development processes, or any organisation that exercised governance over the either the development team or its results.

In my experience, everyone just wings it.

17. Zippy´s Sausage Factory
    Devil

"Power Apps provides a way for those who are not professional coders to build custom business applications"

Ah, I think I see the problem...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like