back to article Watchdog 'disappointed' it took NHS England over a year to release details of access to Palantir COVID-19 data store

The health and social care data watchdog for England chastised the UK government for failing to publish details of information released from the Palantir-based COVID-19 data store within a year of the project's start. In her Annual Report for 2020-2021, National Data Guardian (NDG) for health and social care Dr Nicola Byrne …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Facepalm

and in conclusion...

The article missed the report's final conclusion: "...and if you haven't disclosed the register of data releases by next year then I will have no choice but to write another strongly worded report."

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: and in conclusion...

If things don't change, they might even have to write some of it in bold text.

2. AndrueC Silver badge
      Joke

Re: and in conclusion...

I think that's not good enough. They should threaten to stamp their foot as well.

2. Pascal Monett Silver badge
    FAIL

Watchdog 'disappointed'

Government watchdogs : all bark, no bite.

Said watchdog should have blocked the deal as soon as it was apparent that a foreign company was going to be managing the data. It makes no difference that the company was based in the US, nor is it really important that the company was Palantir (although really, the smell alone should have been warning enough).

Government data should be managed in-country by local government, or local companies that have zero ties with foreign interests.

1. AMBxx Silver badge

Re: Watchdog 'disappointed'

Local government - you sure? All those USB sticks.

1. Piro Silver badge

At least the data is somewhat hard to come by, they'd have to find the stick on the tube, or in a car park somewhere, as opposed to having it all directly uploaded to them.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

The vast majority of Local Government organisations now encrypt all hard disks on end user devices and prevent the use on encrypted USB sticks. Together with hugely improved remote access the ability to access data 'wherever you are' has removed the need for exchangeable media.

Even small district councils are now using encryption as its effectively free with the O/S.

The problem of elected members using gmail/ hotmail etc. accounts has not gone away however.

2. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

In order for the title of "Guardian" to be meaningful there needs to be a statutory power of veto and for the guardian to be in a position to exercise it before the proposed event.

3. gandalfcn Silver badge

" a foreign company". The Tories don't consider the USA to be foreign, they consider it to be more of a Master/Servant relationship.

1. codejunky Silver badge

@gandalfcn

"The Tories don't consider the USA to be foreign, they consider it to be more of a Master/Servant relationship."

While some others have the same 'desire' of the EU

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

It's only the brexit morons who think that.

@AC

I would think its those for brexit who dont want the EU above the UK.

1. Anonymous Coward
              Trollface

Brexit advocates: Perpetual victims and finger pointers. Even 5 years after their victory and 7 months after achieving their master plan. With all this winning one would think they could would be content and have a much happier disposition. But no. Just as much rage and sadness as before. Almost as if Brexit was all just an elaborate (but obvious) long-con. Chin up!

@AC

"Brexit advocates: Perpetual victims and finger pointers."

Erm, I think you will find we won. Did you sleep through the last few years?

"With all this winning one would think they could would be content and have a much happier disposition."

Your the idiot crying at my posts.

"Just as much rage and sadness as before"

You replied to me.

"Almost as if Brexit was all just an elaborate (but obvious) long-con."

And yet just in time with benefits demonstrated within months of leaving instead of the predicted years. Assuming your in the UK you are probably vaccinated with a recovering economy and only the UK covid bill to pay. Your welcome. If your in the EU I understand your upset but leaving the EU is the answer. If your elsewhere your choice source of information is lacking.

1. Anonymous Coward
                  Anonymous Coward

You're welcome. You're the idiot.

Amazing how Dr.N promises to stop trolling me only to be replaced by AC who sounds like an idiot or a child. As your so much of a coward to have your comments tied to your account I can only guess your account or that he started a cowardly following.

1. Anonymous Coward
                      Headmaster

Do you mean, "As you're so much of a coward..." ?

@AC

Oh jeez dont you read what you are posting as- Anonymous Coward. Guessing your the same idiot who called me idiot?

1. Anonymous Coward
                          Anonymous Coward

No one was calling you an idiot. It looks like they were correcting your use of your/you're.

And if English is not your first language then there are apps to help with spelling/grammar. I use them all the time for communicating in other languages. You're welcome.

Thumb Up

@AC

"No one was calling you an idiot. It looks like they were correcting your use of your/you're."

Ahhh, didnt look like a correction the way they typed it. I am dyslexic but use the browser corrections/check spellings with google. For the rest I let the grammar nazi's twitch with discomfort.

2. Trollslayer
                          Thumb Down

OK, register as a new user with your real name.

1. Anonymous Coward
                            Anonymous Coward

Yes, It's the less 'cowardly' thing that all (alt.)right-thinkers are proposing to other people these days.

No need for a new account even. Just change 'Forum user name' in account settings to one's real name.

2. codejunky Silver badge

@Trollslayer

"OK, register as a new user with your real name."

Why? So far I have AC's commenting unwilling to put their comments to their post history and making it difficult to see if I am replying to the same commenter or someone else. Sometimes I understand it can be for legitimate reasons but it seems I am getting a few who dont want their stupidity associated with their accounts.

1. Anonymous Coward
                              Anonymous Coward

Keep insisting on non-AC posting? Is someone up for a bit of doxing ... ?

@AC

"Keep insisting on non-AC posting? Is someone up for a bit of doxing ... ?"

You have a high opinion of yourself. Its nice to see who I am replying to and which AC is saying what so I can reply to the conversation not just the single message. If you think I would waste my time on you then you would be disappointed.

2. RegGuy1 Silver badge
                      Facepalm

Have you got your[1] HGV licence yet? Brexit means we now need all Brits to have a valid HGV licence to ensure we get our turkey for Christmas.

[1] Spelt correctly, BTW.

@RegGuy1

"Have you got your[1] HGV licence yet? Brexit means we now need all Brits to have a valid HGV licence to ensure we get our turkey for Christmas."

Your right! Its awful the US left the EU. As they have a shortage too. Or maybe Brexit is infectious?

Unfortunately when you shut an economy down for 2 years the economy loses that 2 years. Lack of training centres, drivers having to find other jobs during the pandemic who might not come back, etc.

1. Anonymous Coward
                          Anonymous Coward

How come GB is the only country affected in Europe?

@AC

"How come GB is the only country affected in Europe?"

So I take it as you accept the shutting down of economies has affected availability of drivers for the US. Which makes clear the reason for the UK as we shut down our economy too.

https://www.truckinginfo.com/10145403/the-driver-shortage-were-not-alone

Now lets look at some differences. The UK and US had successful vaccination programs which allowed for opening up sooner leading to increased demand. Europe is a patchwork of trying to open up again and locking back down again. When Europe stumbles back to its feet it too will need more drivers-

https://www.bifa.org/news/articles/2018/dec/truck-driver-shortage-crisis-now-spreading-across-the-whole-of-europe

2. Anonymous Coward
                  Anonymous Coward

You are the one who brought the EU into these posts.

Now repeat after me, "The vaccination programme had nothing to do with our EU membership, in fact, we were still in the EU when we decided not to join their programme. No country had to join their scheme. It was voluntary."

You seem to believe the lies about sovereignty .

Oh and by the way, as bad as the EU vaccine rollout was, they have now far surpassed the UK in all metrics.

Go on, learn something, google the facts, not just the Tory / Farage bull.

And as for the UK recovery... WTF? We've lost billions, and are continuing to do so. Again, check the facts.

I presume you'll next blame the food shortages on "pingdemic" ?

Are you a daily mail reader or a troll?

@AC

"You are the one who brought the EU into these posts."

A direct response to someone mentioning the US as was comparable. You are going on about it then claiming its me, idiot (assuming your the same coward).

"The vaccination programme had nothing to do with our EU membership"

Oh please do tell the lie. Come tell me how in the EU we would have vaccinated the country instead of joining the EU procurement. Please tell me your beliefs of UK supremacy that unlike every lesser country that is a member of the EU we, the shining light called the UK would still go our own way. Bollocks.

"You seem to believe the lies about sovereignty ."

Demonstrably true. Germany and Poland currently awaiting a reaming for daring to test in court EU diktat against the countries constitutions. EU stating clearly the principle of the primacy of EU law-

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/jun/09/eu-launches-legal-case-against-germany-over-alleged-breach-of-eu-law-primacy-principle

"Oh and by the way, as bad as the EU vaccine rollout was, they have now far surpassed the UK in all metrics."

Not sure what your smoking but 'in all metrics'? I would have laughed had you said some metrics.

"Go on, learn something, google the facts, not just the Tory / Farage bull."

Seems it aint me believing the propaganda

"And as for the UK recovery... WTF? We've lost billions, and are continuing to do so. Again, check the facts."

And reopening the economy. Yes we lost billions, it was providing support during economic lockdown. If your against the full scale lockdown that complaint makes sense and we may even have something we agree on but if you dont see a recovery then you must be sleeping (or smoking something).

"I presume you'll next blame the food shortages on "pingdemic" ?"

You do realise we closed down the economy. That is part of what the economy is. If people aint working how do we get the things they would have produced?

"Are you a daily mail reader or a troll?"

Neither but it seems you need to widen your sources

3. Anonymous Coward
                  1. Anonymous Coward
                    Anonymous Coward

To be fair all countries have now hit the anti-vaxx brick wall. It's not going to go any higher without some major push.

Maybe Palantir can feed into some big social media blitz to help target/influence the vaccine hesitant. As opposed to the 1-5% (guesstimate) who are lost-cause/hard-core 5G/MicroChip/Batshit-crazy/QAnon-Lite Anti-Vaxxers.

@AC

That is good news. From what I have heard talking to friends there the EU seems to be behind by about the 3 months they lost at the start. The good news is once vaccinated there becomes a strong production which can work its way through the other countries.

4. captain veg Silver badge

You "won". We all lost.

It's a real shame that you can't write English properly, or I might think that this "victory" was not just for Putin.

-A.

1. Anonymous Coward
                    Anonymous Coward

I know many brexiters left school at 14[1], which explains much. That they can probably spell EU but not know what one is is a curse on us all.

[1] My father certainly did. He did his duty and voted, then the bugger went and died.

@captain veg

"You "won". We all lost."

I am sorry for you, I guess you are still in the EU and suffering the problems of being there.

"It's a real shame that you can't write English properly, or I might think that this "victory" was not just for Putin."

Where does Putin come into this? The UK isnt wanting the Nord Stream 2 project. Nor Were we in the EU when Putin pantsed the EU publicly while expelling diplomats all the while the EU speaker allowed it because they were begging for vaccine.

1. captain veg Silver badge

I am indeed still in the EU, no thanks to you. I now have to jump through hoops just to retain what was a right. Thanks brexiters. And I've completely lost the right to move to another EU country and enjoy those same rights. Thanks Brexiters.

Strangely enough, apart from the above there is no suffering whatsoever. No problems at all other than the ones that you and your kind decided to inflict. Conversely, even the likes of the Daily Express are reporting serious issues resulting directly from Brexit.

I assume that your comments about Putin are intended as some kind of bizarre satire. Even given that, I'm afraid that I don't get the meaning of "pantsed". Is this some kind of joke that only junkies get?

-A.

@captain veg

"I am indeed still in the EU, no thanks to you. I now have to jump through hoops just to retain what was a right."

If its a right then surely the EU doesnt try to take it from you? And your happy as your in the EU. Even with them making you jump through hoops it must be worth it to you so your happy.

"And I've completely lost the right to move to another EU country and enjoy those same rights. Thanks Brexiters."

The UK doesnt make those rules. We cant tell the EU how to treat you.

"Strangely enough, apart from the above there is no suffering whatsoever."

Fantastic. So nothing to complain about then.

"No problems at all other than the ones that you and your kind decided to inflict."

Little England? How do we inflict problems on the great utopia EU?

"I assume that your comments about Putin are intended as some kind of bizarre satire."

Not at all. The EU is more in Putins corner than the UK. Something that bothered Trump as the US pays for Europes military security.

"I'm afraid that I don't get the meaning of "pantsed""

The literal meaning is when someone has their trousers pulled down forcefully by someone else to embarrass/shame them. Metaphorically used as seriously embarrassing/shaming someone publicly.

5. Anonymous Coward
                  Anonymous Coward

And yet just in time with benefits demonstrated within months of leaving instead of the predicted years.

What benefits? I'm not aware of the sunny uplands you lot said would happen. I am aware of lots of SMEs complaining that they can't now trade with the EU, or where they can their costs have gone through the roof because businesses are adding large margins to cover the unknown risks, making them so uncompetitive they are likely to go under, or pull in their wings and only trade domestically.

I am aware that Northern Ireland is trading more with Ireland because of issues with the NI/GB* sea border, but that they are doing well -- to the chagrin of the DUP there. (Who'd have thunk it?)

I am aware that as more transition deadlines approach (1st October is the next) the position for GB* is going to get worse, as more red tape (wasn't Brexit to get rid of that?) will be introduced by the simple fact that we want svrnty.

I am aware that the European Commission (you understand what that is, don't you?) has moved on and doesn't care about us any more. And that every EU member state agreed to let the EC do all the negotiating, thus preventing us from implementing our usual disastrous foreign policy practice of divide and rule.

I am aware that the EU hasn't imploded, and after seeing the dogs breakfast that Boris has made of it, that their public support for their union has increased, around the order of 10% I believe. So unlike the predictions of the Daily Mail or the Express (I struggle to call them newspapers) the solidity of the EU has actually increased, and will not fall apart. (Well done Brexit.)

That's what I am aware of. But I'm not aware of any sunny uplands. I must have missed those.

* You do know the difference between GB and UK, don't you?

1. WhereAmI?

Yeah - more trade is going over the border but at the same time, Boris's Bork has meant that very many supermarket shelves are empty. It's damned obvious when you walk into any of the big ones (Sainsbury, Tesco's, Aldi, ASDA and Lidl) that the cabinets and shelving have been moved around to partially disguise the reduction in choice available to us. My wife is an avid gardener - it's her retreat from the daily grind of the hospital wards - but trying to get mail order plants for the last two years has been an impossible nightmare. The local plant nurseries (and there are a lot of them) have been bare almost to the point of invisibility, but we have tried to buy anyway to help keep them afloat.

Brexit: "it's what you voted for but it wasn't what you were promised". If you voted for it, shut up and suck it up.

@WhereAmI?

"but trying to get mail order plants for the last two years has been an impossible nightmare"

Its almost as though shutting down the economy for 2 years buggers things up!

@AC

"What benefits? I'm not aware"

I think you could stop there. I am guessing your not in the UK. Regulation being cut down, not being part of the EU vaccination fiasco nor the covid bailout. Negotiating good trade deals to reduce costs on the population.

"I am aware of lots of SMEs complaining that they can't now trade with the EU"

Some and of course some were gonna have problems after being locked into a protectionist market.

"or where they can their costs have gone through the roof because businesses are adding large margins to cover the unknown risks"

I am sure some possibly are maybe.

"I am aware that Northern Ireland is trading more with Ireland because of issues with the NI/GB* sea border, but that they are doing well"

Glad you note they are doing well. Also helped that they UK unilaterally didnt impose idiotic checks demanded by the EU (hoping to starve out NI). I also noticed the EU had a problem with people from ROI trying to book vaccinations in NI and could only watch.

"I am aware that as more transition deadlines approach (1st October is the next) the position for GB* is going to get worse, as more red tape (wasn't Brexit to get rid of that?) will be introduced by the simple fact that we want svrnty."

Who's red tape? And if its so bad why would we want to impose it? And as the EU's red tape that would raise the question of why we would want to be in the EU and impose that on the rest of the world. The good news is giving up on passporting for the financial sector and instead ripping up red tape.

"by the simple fact that we want svrnty."

Amazing how this is considered a bad thing. Throughout all of history people fighting for freedom and the right to live only for idiots to consider it a bad thing. Damn right sovereignty, as Poland and Germany are finding out.

"I am aware that the European Commission (you understand what that is, don't you?) has moved on and doesn't care about us any more."

I would say about time but since they were still yabbering about brexit when comparing with the vaccine fiasco I doubt they have forgotten. Embarased and not wanting to draw attention maybe.

"I am aware that the EU hasn't imploded"

Your kidding? Please tell me your kidding. The EU is broke. They have just mutualised debt with the member countries in hope of not going under. Just as they were near bankrupt bailing out Greece. The glorious unity of purchasing as a group and not free-for-all fell apart quick for buying vaccinations. Poland and Hungary are slapping the EU for fun. Putin had a good laugh at the weakness of the EU. But somehow a chair vs sofa was more important to the President.

"That's what I am aware of. But I'm not aware of any sunny uplands. I must have missed those."

Looks like it. Guess it depends on your perspective. You can look in the sunlight or in the shade, such is the choice.

1. Anonymous Coward
                      Anonymous Coward

Is this "your" or "you're" Gish-Gallop? Yehaw!!!

2. Anonymous Coward
                      Anonymous Coward

It's pretty sad that ALL of your "brexit advantages" are obvious false, and easily proved as such:

1) No trade deal made is better than what the EU had.

The best we can do are the odd deals that are "as good as" the deals the EU has.

2) vaccine rollout: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/aug/06/six-eu-states-overtake-uk-covid-vaccination-britain-rollout-slows

3) vaccine rollout myth: https://www.channel4.com/news/factcheck/factcheck-brexit-did-not-speed-up-uk-vaccine-authorisation

@AC

"1) No trade deal made is better than what the EU had."

I see you missed the chunk of removing red tape and regulation etc which is better than in the EU (the EU were concerned about us having such competitive advantage). Since we have only been out for 8 months and have deals equal or better the UK is also looking at joining a trading block. Not a political union but a trade block.

"2) vaccine rollout: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/aug/06/six-eu-states-overtake-uk-covid-vaccination-britain-rollout-slows"

The UK is vaccinated thats why its slowed. All that is left are the hold outs and the debate of how young its worth vaccinating. It is good news the EU is catching up, they really needed to.

"3) vaccine rollout myth: https://www.channel4.com/news/factcheck/factcheck-brexit-did-not-speed-up-uk-vaccine-authorisation"

I dont think that article is making the case you think it is. Basically the UK being out of the EU is why the UK was vaccinating before the EU. Also why the EU part of Ireland could only watch as the UK side got vaccinated. The whole thing in the EU falling apart anyway when members gave up on the organisation and ordered vaccine themselves because the EU failed hard.

1. Anonymous Coward
                          Anonymous Coward

I didn't mention the red tape, because I thought you were joking.

Businesses area all complaining about all the extra red tape. https://www.ft.com/content/e2a57b06-d255-48f7-95ae-b1aee4b51ac7

The UK was vaccinated before the EU because they decided to go it alone, and the EU messed up. That is true. But the UK going it alone had nothing to do with brexit. We were STILL under the EU when these decisions were made!

Of course, lockdown affects the availability of drivers. But the fact 25,000 EU drivers have returned home since due to brexit is why Europe isn't having issues. https://www.specialityfoodmagazine.com/news/food-labour-shortage-brexit-covid

Come on, give me a "benefit" that can be really debated. Not something that can be proved wrong by anyone who ventures outside the sun/express/mail - don't you have any?

@AC

"Businesses area all complaining about all the extra red tape"

Its awful isnt it. Makes you wonder why we would want to have so much. And an amount of inherited rules from the EU which are to be phased out since we dont need to protect the other member countries interests but just our own. Something which can only be done in leaving the EU and actively being worked on by the government.

"But the UK going it alone had nothing to do with brexit. We were STILL under the EU when these decisions were made!"

In the transition period yes which to some remainers means we were out but I agree we were somewhat still stuck in. Yet to believe the UK would go alone is to believe in the supremacy of the UK and the stunning brilliance of our government vs all of the other governments in the EU (I dont believe that!). To think the UK would dare deviate from the EU when not one other member did must be to believe in some supreme ability of the UK over all the other members not just the EU gov.

"Of course, lockdown affects the availability of drivers."

And that is a full stop feel free to end there. You say Europe isnt having a shortage except I pointed out to you they do and its set to get worse when they actually catch up to the economic situation of the UK and US. The EU shortage isnt as bad yet because they dont have the economy to demand the drivers yet. Its not brexit its the EU being behind again.

"Come on, give me a "benefit" that can be really debated. Not something that can be proved wrong by anyone who ventures outside the sun/express/mail - don't you have any?"

You cant even get the basic facts right about our current discussion without trying to add more to it.

1. captain veg Silver badge

Supermarkets over here are operating entirely normally. Entirely. No mitigation required. No special circumstances invoked. No nothing.

Yet strangely the crises in UK retail are, according to Brexiters, somehow nothing to do with Brexit. Though retailers say that they are. Along with trucking companies. And farmers.

Odd, that.

-A.

@captain veg

"Supermarkets over here are operating entirely normally. Entirely. No mitigation required. No special circumstances invoked. No nothing."

Good for you. Each member country handling it differently. Some still vaccinating the old and vulnerable. Over here Boris got flack for opening up even though we were far along with vaccinations, yet in a few EU countries they opened without much vaccination progress.

"Yet strangely the crises in UK retail are"

I hear crises. I am sure at some point I might even notice it. Unless you mean McDonalds milkshake?

"Along with trucking companies"

Except the US didnt leave the EU. Hard to blame their trucking problems on brexit, and Europe is increasingly short as it climbs back to normal.

"And farmers"

Actually yes this is to do with brexit, and one of the reasons to brexit. Great news for everyone that food prices go down from leaving the protectionist block.

3. captain veg Silver badge

Good grief, you really are living in your own imagination.

> Regulation being cut down, not being part of the EU vaccination fiasco nor the covid bailout. Negotiating good trade deals to reduce costs on the population.

Not a single regulation has been "cut down". On the contrary, the UK has found itself obliged to construct a whole separate regulatory structure which does nothing more than reproduce that of the EU. It could hardly be otherwise. Most of the world, especially the parts that UK businesses export to, require compliance with EU regulation. It's just that now they don't recognise the UK's, even though it's the same.

I suspect that you are the last person on earth trumpeting vaccination as some kind of Brexit win. It's just bollocks, and you know it.

> they [sic] UK unilaterally didnt [sic] impose idiotic checks demanded by the EU

Demanded by WTC, nothing to do with EU.

> Who's [sic] red tape? And if its [sic] so bad why would we want to impose it?

That's what "taking back control" means. Didn't you read the programme? Probably not, since English is clearly a foreign language to you.

> Your [sic] kidding? Please tell me your [sic] kidding. The EU is broke.

Sure. You people have been claiming this for at least 30 years. It isn't. You're wrong. Accept it.

-A.

@captain veg

"Not a single regulation has been "cut down"."

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2021/04/29/brexit-freedoms-let-bank-england-cut-red-tape-small-lenders/

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-57656812

https://www.politeia.co.uk/cutting-eu-red-tape-which-damaged-british-business-must-now-be-a-priority-for-the-government/

Not a fast process but we only left at the start of the year.

"I suspect that you are the last person on earth trumpeting vaccination as some kind of Brexit win. It's just bollocks, and you know it."

Amazing to hear its bollocks. Not yet once been shown how I am wrong. Been shown right plenty of times but not wrong. Even the EU fanatical nutters were attacking the EU handling of the situation publicly. But you seem to think different (didnt you claim I was imagining things?)

"Demanded by WTC, nothing to do with EU."

It was the EU crying.

"That's what "taking back control" means. Didn't you read the programme? Probably not, since English is clearly a foreign language to you."

Aww you numpty. No real argument so you try to insult my language. I think you should reread the line you quoted, you dont seem to understand it. Maybe get an English speaker to help you if you struggle.

"Sure. You people have been claiming this for at least 30 years. It isn't. You're wrong. Accept it."

For that I would have to be shown wrong not right. And regularly I am shown right. If the EU survives it wont be as it is.

1. Anonymous Coward
                          Anonymous Coward

Oh look, it's The (Gish) Galloping Gourmet under starter's orders with another feast of falsehoods and factual fails. All presented in a gravy of terrible English. (Perhaps a questionable source(sic) ?)

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Good thing they created it as well, wouldn’t want to have to deal with a public sector system that was full of inconsistencies, and errors. Sorry what’s that? Err, well umm no, I can’t explain why it is full of inconsistencies and errors. Maybe you are querying it wrong.

4. Mike 137 Silver badge

"The release was designed "to promote transparency in how information is used and shared"

The trouble with "transparency" after the fact is that there's no control or redress possible.

It's morally insufficient merely to declare "we abuse your data like this..."

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Giving Palantir control of health data is like giving the Taleban control of women's rights

1. Anonymous Coward
      Facepalm

Palantir

In other news, contracts like this did enable Palantir to buy $50 million in gold bars in August. Got to have a golden parachute if it all goes wobbly.

1. FILE_ID.DIZ
        Big Brother

Re: Palantir

Peter Thiel was the first outside investor in Thefacebook back in 2004 and look at the size of that data swallowing machine today.

2. gandalfcn Silver badge

Giving Palantir control of health data is like giving Trump's GOP control of voting rights and racial and sexual discrimination laws.

1. WhereAmI?

I thought they'd got that anyway c.f. the change in laws in many 'Red' states to tighten control to prevent the huge amount of 'voter fraud' that must have taken place for them to lose to the Blue guys.

6. John Jennings

Its government health data

Its likely so corrupt as to be useless to man or daemon

Waht cud possbly ga wrng?

7. Falmari Silver badge
    Mushroom

Trust is earned not demonstrated

From the article,

“"The NDG's advice was sought at a meeting with her panel, particularly on how to demonstrate trustworthiness to the public of arrangements with commercial partners,"”

Seriously, trustworthiness is not something you demonstrate it is how you act and go about your duties. The very fact that NHS England etc believe they need to demonstrate trustworthiness suggests they have not been acting in a trustworthy way.

Evidence that they can’t be trusted is the fact that they “committed to publish a full register of releases of data from the privately run database” and then didn’t. They cannot be trusted to do what they promised to do.

8. John G Imrie

Not concerned

No one seams to have any concern over the fact that there appears to be nothing about how the data will be destroyed once it's finished with.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Not concerned

Destroyed?

2. scrubber
      Coat

Re: Not concerned

I thought the only way to destroy data was to throw it into a black hole?

9. AndrueC Silver badge
    Unhappy

Am I the only one who thinks that 'NDG' stands for 'No Damn Good'?

1. Piro Silver badge

Maybe it stands for what they give the offending party when they breach the rules;

'Nother Disapproving Glare

10. FlamingDeath Silver badge

“I Like Money” - Frito

1. sabroni Silver badge

"I like Money!" - Mr Krabs

FTFY.

1. DwarfPants
        Coat

Non-IT Showbiz update

The Kurgan, voices Mr Krabs his spare time.

There can be only one.

(get the CD, LP in the foyer on the way out)

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like