back to article T-Mobile US probes claims of 100m stolen customer records up for sale on dark web

T-Mobile US is investigating claims that highly sensitive personal data of 100 million customers has been stolen and peddled via the dark web. On offer is everything an identity thief needs: information like names, addresses, social security numbers, driving license info, and IMEI numbers. 30 million of these records have been …

1. Snowy Silver badge
    Facepalm

The stable door is now bolted

The horse on the other hand could be anywhere

2. Nunyabiznes

I wonder

If T-Mobile will actually follow through and inform customers that their data was appropriated.

I doubt it, and I doubt they will take ownership of the issues caused for their customers by their incompetence (and of course by the black hats actions).

Since I'm a customer (dumbest move I've made in awhile, btw) I guess I'll find out, or not.

Off to change passwords and my shopping cc#.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: I wonder

Pretty sad when we get more details about a hack from the hacker than from the company.

3. jonnycando
    WTF?

I wonder

I was a T-Mobile subscriber years ago….lately Sprint….which means I am sort of back in Tmobile’s grasp….what I wonder is if the data that was hoovered up was old data that might have my old and obsolete data…..or if T-Mobile has or has not imported Sprint accounts into their systems….

4. skeptical i
    Thumb Down

more employee surveillance

"Amazon will monitor the keyboard and mouse movements of its support desk workers to catch miscreants misusing or pilfering customer data"

Yeah, that's the ticket, it's about our staff possibly misusing customer data, this has nothing to do with time-on-task surveillance, what could ever have given you that idea.

5. Lil Endian Silver badge

T Mobile Statements

The statements TMob have made sound almost human. Not canned "We treat our customer data with the highest..." or "Security is very important..."

Either they're (relatively) honest, or their Eliza has some pretty sharp heuristics. Being cynical, Weizenbaum would be proud.

6. WolfFan Silver badge

Allegedly

The majority of those whose info was liberated were:

A) former Sprint customers, because Sprint had… problems…

B) those NOT on ‘contract’

C) both

This is totally unofficial, and may change as there is an investigation still under way.

Also unofficial is that some of my information is on the list… just nothing that will help our hackers, as it dates from when I had a phone from Sprint, a decade ago. That was a company phone, so a lot of the data related to the company… and has changed. My information on T-mob’s own systems apparently hasn’t been hacked. They think. They’ll get back to me. That dates back a decade and a half…

We’ll see how this plays out.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like