back to article GitHub picks Friday 13th to kill off password-based Git authentication

If your Git operations start failing on Friday, August 13 with GitHub, it may well be because you're still using password authentication – and you need to change that. In December, the source-code-hosting giant warned it will end password-based authentication for Git pushes and the like. From 1600 UTC (1700 BST, 0900 PST) on …

1. jake Silver badge

Rolling out a major change on a Friday?

It'll all end in tears ... I hope Redmond's authorized lots of overtime.

2. Grunchy Silver badge

I dislike GitHub anyway

If they’re going to make it even more difficult I’ll just go away.

It’s like trying to access 3D cad models from Tompkins but you have to phone in to set up an account, and the first thing they want is to mail me a credit application. Uh yeah, sure thing, hell no.

You can access all kinds of 3D cad for nothing at McMaster, they don’t even ask who the H you are, or Anything!

In conclusion, I’ve had it with git. I never friigen figgered out their stupid scheme, anyway.

1. karlkarl Silver badge

Re: I dislike GitHub anyway

Nothing wrong with git. This has everything to do with Microsoft trying to pull users into using their annoying authentication system treadmill.

Many Office 365 site installations no longer support standards (imaps, smtps). Instead it is Microsoft's "Modern" auth which means that proper email clients can't be used.

They want the same for GitHub basically.

3. sitta_europea Silver badge

People still use Exchange Server?

4. Zippy´s Sausage Factory
    Devil

I can only see this as a huge win... for gitlab.

Seriously, is this another "embrace, extend, extinguish" from Microsoft here? It certainly feels like it to me...

5. sharpwolverine

Can someone explain how

A token is not a password?

They look exactly the same. They require the same kind of management.

1. Julian Bradfield

Re: Can someone explain how

Sure. A token is a password that is so long and complex that you can't remember it, so you have to keep it somewhere where you can cut'n'paste it.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like