back to article Never Knowingly Underborked: Double trouble at Southampton's John Lewis

Double the advertising space can sometimes equal double the potential for borkage, as this freshest example of the breed demonstrates. Spied by an eagle-eyed Register reader last weekend in Southampton's West Quay shopping centre, the dual screens designed to lure punters into the John Lewis department store are instead …

1. Pascal Monett Silver badge

All the borkage

This is a clear sign that companies bring in outside competence to set up the displays and ensure the content, and then let it rot because nobody on-site has a clue how it works.

When working in a retail store that has an electronics department, that is particularly credibility-destroying.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: All the borkage

I've worked at a I.T. company that sold, amongst other things, "Backup Solutions" that lost its own finance data in a server crash.

anon obvs

1. The Oncoming Scorn Silver badge
        Pint

Re: All the borkage

The Insurance company, that used to be based in Norwich, suffering a water tank leak on the top floor & flooded computers & printers at least two floors down.

2. Lil Endian Silver badge

A few decades ago my local Sainsbury's store had all of its ATMs ripped out to replace them with newer models. When installed the new ATMs were shown to be running Windows 95, as they were in BSOD for months. I was so tempted to try to find the route to their IPs.

That was only surpassed in horror when I saw video from the cockpit of a Hercules during the Iraq War (IIRC). The footage showed a crew member demonstrating the chaff system, which was running on Win95. Screw that! "Incoming! Deploy chaff!" - "Erm, I can't boss, BSOD..." where the 'D' would not be limited to the OS.

1. Prst. V.Jeltz Silver badge

" chaff system, which was running on Win95."

you have to be shitting me?

If it had to be Microsoft I'd rather run it on Dos 6 , loads quicker and a hell of a lot less to go wrong : )

1. Lil Endian Silver badge

I'm trawling YouTube to try to find the footage or something similar.

It was an RAF Herc, on the ground and I think it was a BBC report. The system was not integrated into the flight deck's usual array of instrumentation - it seemed almost standalone with a LCD screen, so perhaps it was a "live trial" or ancillary system, although that's not how the crew member was chatting about it IIRC.

I'll continue to search, but I've not seen anything remotely similar so far.

I'd like to think I was dreaming it, but I distinctly remember my jaw dropping so far it dislocated! (Slight hyperbole there lol.)

3. Unicornpiss
    Mushroom

Had a semi-apocalyptic day..

Weary and trying to get back from a week-long business trip. The last leg of my return flight was cancelled. Working with the airline, managed to get onto a flight to Detroit Metro, about 6 hours later than originally planned. Upon landing near midnight, the fire alarms were going off while an automated voice gently urged people to proceed to the nearest exits, calmly. Which was being completely ignored by everyone in the airport. Using the moving tramway, I saw an information screen with a Core Dump, which looked like a hard drive failure. I couldn't identify at a glance which flavor of Linux was having as good a day as the rest of us, but was somewhat impressed that they were using it for airport displays instead of Windows. Of course no OS is immune from a hardware failure.

1. cyberdemon Silver badge
      Devil

Re: Had a semi-apocalyptic day..

I wonder what poor linux box was on fire in some abandoned server room...

Maybe someone casually ignored the

lp0 on fire
      message, when the printer actually was on fire.

4. TimMaher Silver badge
    Facepalm

Outsourced

Didn’t the new CEO outsource their IT department in this past year?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Outsourced

John Lewis started talking to their IT staff about outsourcing in 2018.

The outsourcing can’t be blamed on the new CEO it was well advanced & inevitable before she was even announced. .

5. Troy Tempest

Not a good sign

Using American Megatrends BIOS is a sure sign someone is cutting corners (& costs).

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like