back to article Chinese espionage group targets Israel while suggesting the source could be Iran

Security vendor FireEye says it has spotted a Chinese espionage group that successfully compromised targets within Israel, and that trying to make its efforts look like the work of Iranian actors is part of the group's modus operandi. A FireEye blog post states the Chinese activity has been ongoing since 2019, when a group it …

1. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

A Not So Crowded Virgin Field of Almighty Operations and Endeavours ..... Heavenly Tasked

What a time to be alive.

Quite so. Amen to that. And such a shame that so many do not realise the fact and be enabled to enliven and live their Immaculate Dreams.

2. roger 8

This reminds me of the novel by Tom Clancy called Threat Vector

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Threat_Vector

released in 2012

1. Robert 22

There was also the WW2 incident where German suspicions about the security of Enigma encryption were allayed by weakly coded messages to supposed agents thanking them for their valuable information and promising financial rewards.

3. elsergiovolador Silver badge

Clue?

Aren't fjords in Norway? What if these were the Vikings?

4. Disgusted Of Tunbridge Wells Silver badge
    Facepalm

> "Some file paths include directories named /Iran."

Others include "/Not_China" and "/Maybe_It_was_Hamas"

5. _LC_
    Paris Hilton

"Chinese espionage group targets Israel while suggesting the source could be Iran"

Prosecutor: The 16-year-old cheerleader raped the 300-pound quarterback, your judge.

Judge: What's her name?

Prosecutor: Maygit Silly.

Judge: And his?

Prosecutor: Stew, Stew Pit.

Judge: This is coming from the usual sources?

Prosecutor: Ya betcha!

1. gandalfcn Silver badge

Re: "Chinese espionage group targets Israel while suggesting the source could be Iran"

All the outrage from the biggest perps around. Israel and the USA

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: "Chinese espionage group targets Israel while suggesting the source could be Iran"

You forgot Russia and China !

Indeed, but as the article is about Israel, which is a rather major player, i thought a reality check was needed. Aso, the PRC has nowhere near the ability or network the USA has. Even Russia lags a long way behind. And then the UK, we have always been up near the front.

6. Version 1.0 Silver badge

This is normal

It's just a "feature" of the Internet in the modern world - don't think that the Chinese are the only ones doing this, all espionage groups treat this as standard practice - their espionage groups and ours too. Just because malware or spyware "appears" to be from somewhere don't mean that the country was the source.

1. W.S.Gosset

Re: This is normal

You shock me, sir.

Seems it seriously upset some.

2. gandalfcn Silver badge

Don't you just love it when people downvote facts. They probably believe Trump as well.

7. W.S.Gosset

FOCUSFJORD

Now, if they'd called it FOCUSFNORD, no one would ever have noticed it.

1. Paul Crawford Silver badge

Re: FOCUSFJORD

Or called if FOCUSFORD and driven away happy?

8. Anonymous Coward
    Alert

SOP

I would think that this is Standard Operating Procedure for cyber attack, disinformation, and false flag operations. Governments and their military and intelligence assets were doing this well before the internet.

I'm always dubious when a country labels one of their enemies as the source of an attack (as I'm sure Israel would have labeled Iran had this not been disclosed).

It's a muddled and muddy world out there and cyber ops (and politics) don't help.

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Re: SOP

What we should do is just make up a dummy test country to blame for all this.

Ideally one that has no economic impact, no exports and that nobody ever visits.

1. Denarius
        Joke

you mean North Korea or Oz in lockdown ?

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Australia isn't real

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like