back to article Black Hat security conference returns to Las Vegas – complete with hacks to quiet the hotel guest from hell

After a year off due to a certain virus, the Black Hat and DEF CON security conferences returned to Las Vegas last week, just in time for the US government's attempts to foster more collaboration across the infosec industry. The newly appointed Security Director of the Cybersecurity and Infrastructure Agency Jen Easterly took …

1. lglethal Silver badge
    Trollface

"He then went to the hotel's management team, who were surprisingly nice about it, and fixed the issue."

Which issue? "Bob" the noisy neighbour? Or just the Router?

2. steviebuk Silver badge

Worth a watch

Always worth a watch. The best one was the talk the guy did about his kit being stolen from his flat. Then he went on to trace who'd now had it as he had dyndns setup and they never wiped it. Really good talk that one.

Will they be on YouTube? Technically you're no longer allowed to put hacking videos on YouTube (a shit rule) my RDS session hijack example is still up. More reason to move to lbry I think.

1. lglethal Silver badge
      Go

Re: Worth a watch

Having not heard of Lbry before your comment, I've had a quick look and it seems... interesting.

I would be very intersted to hear what you think of it. Is it any good?

The whole monetisation thing seems like trying to create money from air (so par for the course for digital currencies), and the lack of central controls seems like it would quickly become inundated with conspiracy theories and other bollocks pretty quickly once it gets popular, but for now it seems it could be good.

What are your experiences?

1. steviebuk Silver badge

Re: Worth a watch

Its good. You can sync your YouTube account to it so it will automatically upload all your YouTube content to it. The lbry currency you can ignore. And yes, it has the conspiracy nut jobs but you can just ignore them. Client is a bit slow though. Dave Jones from eevblog is on it and likes it a lot. He explains it better than I can in his videos.

2. Pascal Monett Silver badge

Re: lbry

The website says it's a "Blockchain-based file-sharing and payment network ".

Thanks but no thanks. I have no intention of dedicating gigabytes of my disk space to hold the entire content database of a website.

I'll stick with Youtube until a better alternative is given.

1. Paul Kinsler

I had a play with it a few months ago, but didn't find much interesting content.

Having just checked, the local info it stored seems to total about 200M, so on that datapoint it seems unlikely that it stores "the entire content database of a website" locally.

The application itself, when packaged, came to about 200M as well.

2. steviebuk Silver badge

You don't have to. Watch a video that yes, gets downloaded as you watch and then shared but you can, as I do, delete them all.

3. elsergiovolador Silver badge

Same old

We are not far off going back to:

A hotel. A room for four with four strangers. Three of them soon open a bottle of vodka and proceed to get acquainted, then drunk, then noisy, singing, and telling political jokes. The fourth man desperately tries to get some sleep; finally, in frustration he surreptitiously leaves the room, goes downstairs, and asks the lady concierge to bring tea to Room 67 in ten minutes. Then he returns and joins the party. Five minutes later, he bends to a power outlet: "Comrade Major, some tea to Room 67, please." In a few minutes, there's a knock at the door, and in comes the lady concierge with a tea tray. The room falls silent; the party dies a sudden death, and the prankster finally gets to sleep. The next morning he wakes up alone in the room. Surprised, he runs downstairs and asks the concierge what happened to his companions. "You don't need to know!" she answers. "B-but...but what about me?" asks the terrified fellow. 'Oh, you...well...Comrade Major liked your tea gag a lot."

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like