back to article Q: Post-lockdown, where would I like to go? A: As far away from my own head as possible

More good news for Team GB's Tokyo Games medal winners: you're going to the Moon. This is true because I read it. It was in a press release sent to me this week. "Olympic Medalists Get Free Ticket to the Moon," it says. That is going to be one expensive flight, with more than 50 medals awarded to Brits so far, and the …

1. b0llchit Silver badge
    Thumb Up

Sending DNA

Sending DNA to the moon can easily be done NFT style by digitizing the strands and sending the resulting binary data via radio to the moon. This is a real winner. A winner not only from a monetary point of view for the transmitter, of course, but you will also reach the TFH(*) people because the radio waves will reflect off of the moon and come back to the earth again.

So, there you have it. You can make marionettes using DNA and a radio transmitter aimed at the moon. The beamed DNA will cause us all to perform better at the next Olympics and we all will get metal medals. I'm sure some three letter agencies already are using this method of control for distribution of other human properties. Otherwise, how do you explain inaudible audio?

(*) TFH: Tin Foil Hat; only top of the head is protected. Everybody knows, real intelligence is in the body, not the head.

1. Blofeld's Cat
      Coat

Re: Sending DNA

Sounds good - I mean what could possibly go wrong...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Species_(film)

1. b0llchit Silver badge
        Alien

Surely, nothing will go wrong... it is Evolution, of course. All very normal and natural. Just be sure to have the right shampoo handy for a clean result.

2. Dr_N

"Sending DNA to the moon"

Is that a boast? Fnar.

2. Blofeld's Cat
    Pint

Cordon Bennet ...

That book is still in print - I have the Kindle version of it.

I can recommend the "Easy apple cake" recipe as even my so called culinary skills, can't turn it into a flywheel on a regular basis.

1. Warm Braw

Re: Cordon Bennet ...

The current edition is apparently (and appropriately) a mixture of two previous books retaining the title of one.

The great thing about longevity is you get to recycle your material for another generation. I look forward to reading this column again in 30 years time...

1. Alistair Dabbs

No need to wait that long. I copy and paste the same jokes from week to week.

2. chivo243 Silver badge
        Windows

in 30 years? Might be cutting that a bit close! Unless, of course, I can read the NFT versions in the afterlife?

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

My wife has a certificate in baking and pastry arts from a culinary school. I keep photos of her cakes on my phone to show off to folks. Edible figurines and flowers, piped beadlike icing borders, molded sugar to mimic ice or glass, etc. One turns into a checkerboard pattern on the inside when cut, dark squares are chocolate cake and light ones are yellow cake.

Baking a cake, properly, and decorating it well is NOT easy.

1. DJV Silver badge

Yes, but the final results of eating an exquisitely decorated figurine cake are probably indistinguishable from the final results of eating a fairy cake with a badly plonked on bit of butter icing - I shit you not!

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Eh, yes and no. I can definitely taste the difference between a box mix and a made-from-scratch cake. Not to mention cheap shop-bought icing (made with at least half shortening) versus proper buttercream (butter, no shortening).

2. Loyal Commenter Silver badge

Baking an edible cake, with the correct texture, flavour, and cooked properly is not the same thing as being able to make art with that as a starting material.

Pretty much anyone can do the former, if they can follow simple instructions and work a set of scales, very few people can produce something with artistic merit.

As an analogy, anyone can mix paints, but not many can paint the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel.

Admittedly, the television programme to which this article refers, is largely about the latter, and not the former, which is why I find the "celebrity" version more interesting, where you have people who have never baked anything before demonstrating that, when you're under pressure, you can fuck pretty much anything up.

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge
          Coat

"but not many can paint the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel."

Easy peasy. Would you like white or magnolia?

The white one with paint splashes ------------------>

1. jake Silver badge

It's a ceiling. Paint it white.

Cue some idiot accusing me of racism ...

3. Anonymous Coward
        Joke

> One turns into a checkerboard pattern on the inside when cut, dark squares are chocolate cake and light ones are yellow cake.

Dear NSA,

He meant vanilla, not the Uranium concentrate.

Love and hugs,

1. The Oncoming Scorn Silver badge
          Pint

I fancy a slice of Battenberg now.

1. Phil O'Sophical Silver badge
            Coat

Sorry, he died a couple of months back.

1. jake Silver badge

Well hung, then?

1. Joe W Silver badge

... apparently...

4. jake Silver badge

The baking part is actually easy. It's just applied chemistry.

Decorating, on the other hand ... The way I see it, just smear it in sweet goo and call it post-modern if anyone asks. But they wont. In fact, 99.99% of the intended audience will applaud you ... even if some of them are applauding because they didn't have to make a mess of their own kitchen.

Never explain, never apologise." —Julia Child

1. Trygve Henriksen

I once had the chance to try a cake covered in slices of boiled ham.

Weird. I only think I had two large pieces...

3. Chris Evans

Mad!

Reminds that my late Mum used to say "The whole world seems mad apart from thee and me and I'm not too sure about thee" Which I've just found is a paraphrase of Robert Owen "All the world is queer save thee and me, and even thou art a little queer."

1. My-Handle

Re: Mad!

Hell, I'm pretty sure I'm mad. I just seem to be hiding it reasonably well. So far.

4. Dr_N
    Black Helicopters

Lockdown Wellbeing

Careful Mr Dabbs, that way lies red-pilling and QAnon.

Is there, in fact, a secret message in your headline?!

Q: Post-lockdown, where would I like to go?

A: As far away from my own head as possible

1. jake Silver badge

Re: Lockdown Wellbeing

I'm OK in my own head ... The place I'd most like to go at this point in the pandemic saga is as far away as possible from the anti-vax dumbshits.

1. Dr_N

Which is easier said than done in many western countries.

And pretty much the rest of the world! Anti-vaxxer nut-jobbiness is not limited to the "Western world"

1. jake Silver badge

I called them dumbshits, and I meant dumbshits. Please do not dilute the concept, either here or in your every day life. Thank you.

The folks who have actual mental issues need help, I'm not denigrating them! Nor am I talking about the folks who actually have medical issues with vaccines. I'm talking about the vast majority of the anti-vax crowd. Fucking dumbshits, the lot of them.

5. BenDwire Silver badge
    Coffee/keyboard

Monsieur Hulot performing Riverdance after mainlining Dulcolax

Fantasic piece of observation! I'll just go and put my keyboard out in the sun to dry off ...

6. Dan 55 Silver badge
    Alert

Babylon Zoo

Never have so many singles (remember them?) been sold off the back of the first 30 seconds appearing in an advert.

1. Alistair Dabbs

Re: Babylon Zoo

I seem to remember at the end of the 70s there being a clamour for the single of a new wave song "Don't Be A Dummy" off the back of a Wrangler (?) jeans advert. The problem was that Gary Numan had never recorded a full version, nor had he written it in the first place - he'd just been hired to sing a few refrains by the ad agency and that was it.

1. Andy 68

Ditto the Ultravox really-really-short soundtrack to the 80s Levis "rivet" ad....

Very much a shame - I'd love a full length version of that....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXSvIrPfqV0

1. The Oncoming Scorn Silver badge
          Holmes

From memory, it was Midge & Chris as they partnered up for ad music, Max Headroom 20 minutes into the future* & the bloody awful **The Bloodied Sword*.

*I'd kill for a decent version of the elevator duel/closing theme, someone did cover it, but I didn't make a favorite of the link (Beer again).

**Played it twice, once while drunk on a Saturday afternoon (It was pissing down), didn't improve on my ear when I was sober.

1. Andy 68

> Midge & Chris

Yes, yes, yes... alright. But it was on the tape accompanying the tour programme booklet on the Lament tour in 84, so that counts as Ultravox in my book :-)

> The Bloodied Sword.

We'll have to agree to disagree on that one.

I had it on tape decades ago, which obviously got lost, then bought the vinyl 2nd hand last January and had it converted to MP3 a couple of months ago.

I absolutely love it.

Not heard of the Max Headroom stuff - thanks - will go searching.

2. ibmalone

In a similar vein, Michael Mann's Lucky Star advert.

2. Franco

Funnily enough I was one of the few who hated the advert music but liked the the actual song when I heard it. The pretend techno part of the song that made the advert seemed like a joke tacked on to the end.

There were plenty of other hits generated by Levis in those days though, one hit wonders like Stiltskin or Freakpower, or classics like 20th Century Boy and Should I Stay or Should I Go? getting a re-release.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

> Never have so many singles (remember them?) been sold off the back of the first 30 seconds appearing in an advert.

Stiltskin - another classic Levi's ad

4. swm

The condition of your stomach

See title.

7. Howard Sway Silver badge

LifeShip hopes to cram a million astronauts into a capsule this way

Ugh, this all sounds a bit too much like some creepy science fiction movie from the 1970s.

The sort of thing where you'd see fresh faced smiling couples queueing up outside "LifeShip HQ" waiting to get their DNA extracted, then they'd be led to a room with shiny silver cylindrical pods with automatic doors, and after they'd got in and the door had closed there'd be a muffled scream and a shot of some green gloop flowing down a perspex pipe.....

1. chivo243 Silver badge

Re: LifeShip hopes to cram a million astronauts into a capsule this way

Moonraker? Didn't that happen? Didn't Jaws get paired with a cute girl?

1. A.P. Veening Silver badge

Pretty cute, but well outside of the norm set by the other girls.

1. chivo243 Silver badge

I have a plastic woman for you;-} No, just kidding! I've had relationships with both models, and women you might call a coyote date, happiness is a chemistry, I hope Jaws found happiness

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

New "Thing" at work

We have a new "Thing" they are doing at work. Surveys.

Specifically, they to make sure we are all happy putting in the hours at home working for the company and to make sure that management are doing a good job.

Each Survey is split into 5 to 10 sections and each section has 3 to 5 questions and then another box to clarify our response. The questions are rated from "1 = Totally disagree" up to "10 = Totally agree".

The last 3 I've had were all filled with #1 and every comment was "Too many questions, too many surveys and if you have to ask me if you are doing a good job then you are doing very badly".

Another Survey popped up in the Email this morning ... This time, I took a different tact and reported the Email as spam.

1. My-Handle

Re: New "Thing" at work

Spend an afternoon automating the return of surveys with a randomised response. Optional extra: fill in the comment boxes with random snippets of text (extracts of War & Piece, the Communist Manifesto, The Necronomicon, whatever takes your fancy)

1. Fruit and Nutcase Silver badge

(extracts of War & Piece, the Communist Manifesto, The Necronomicon, whatever takes your fancy)

**cough** "Something for" **cough** "the Weekend, Sir?" **cough**

2. jake Silver badge

I use Lorem ipsum ... Strangely, in the arund 35 years that I've been doing it, nobody has ever called me on it, thus neatly proving that nobody ever reads the silly-assed things. They are just make-work for the department in question..

3. Trygve Henriksen

No, text from the Necronomnomnom.

2. Terry 6 Silver badge

As an aside, it's funny how Customer Service Surveys never ask how good their Customer Service Survey was.

1. Anonymous Custard
        Trollface

Yes, but then it would be surveys all the way down (to oblivion, madness or at least a mailserver crash).

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I think these two strips sum up these surveys perfectly:

Dilbert

And Dilbert again

4. The Oncoming Scorn Silver badge
      Big Brother

We had a survey at one place, last century & were assured of total anonymity.

Me being me asked the question "How can you assure us of that when there's only three or four of us in Quality Inspection & Test (We all hated our mangler, who thought he was Mr Big & micromanaged the heck out of us).

1. ThatOne Silver badge
        Devil

> "How can you assure us of that"

Easily: There is no correlation between procedure and end result. Technically you can conduct a totally anonymized survey of a single person...

The fallacy is to believe (or in this case, make believe) that there might be one.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

When there's only four of you (as per OP's example), and say if two have a track record of certain comments in normal work time, any 'anonymous' survey among the four becomes somewhat less anonymous if people are honest when they complete it.

Well, so long as a human is reading the results rather than AI.

I remember telling my manager several times he was micromanaging too much (resulting in pointless meetings to discuss how he wasn't micromanaging at all (the irony)), so it was obvious in any survey that if the word 'micromanagement' (or similar) came up, it was probably me.

1. ThatOne Silver badge
            Happy

On the other hand I guess your manager didn't need a trick survey to know you didn't approve of his management style...

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

That would be true, but the company I worked for liked to do things like this, and pushed them out from the top and into the departments.

It was a Blue Chip company at the time, with close to 100,000 employees around the world.

When you were forced to complete one of the surveys, it was hardly objective or useful because you either told the truth (and became known) or lied to protect your career and skewed the results. Many did lie (i.e. 'everything is great' when it clearly wasn't).

Furthermore, they were usually internal email surveys in the latter days, which further removed any assurances of anonymity.

1. ThatOne Silver badge

> it was hardly objective or useful

Maybe you misunderstood the point of those surveys? Management couldn't care less about what you think, those surveys are only there to validate the top management's internal strategy, so obviously nest poopers aren't too popular: You're telling your bosses they are a failure, and unsurprisingly they are bound to not like it.

Telling the truth to them is pointless, if they wanted they could had improved things without your input, it's just they don't really want to.

9. Kubla Cant
    WTF?

Inaudible Mode

playback at the lowest level of volume to diffuse the bio active sonic vibrations without hearing the music

This seems to be a thing with German cars, of which I have two. If you switch off the car audio, it will come back on next time you start the car. But it does so at an almost inaudible volume, so you spend the next hour driving around while searching for the source of the annoying whispering sound, and maybe concluding that you're hearing voices in your head.

It's almost as bad if you turn the car off while the audio is playing. When you restart it comes on at about half the volume you left it at, so you spend the first five minutes fiddling with the controls to get it back the way you like it. I remember old-fashioned, pre-digital audio where you could set the volume once and it would be right for the life of the car.

And why is Bluetooth streamed audio always at a small fraction of the volume of other audio sources, including BT phone calls? It's just a digital transmission, so it has no intrinsic volume. Somebody just decided to play BT music in inaudible mode.

1. tfewster

Re: Inaudible Mode

Maybe they use the same supplier as Kia.

Possibly because the music is turned down when the phone integration or traffic alerts want your attention. And that becomes the default, with no override possible.

On the other hand, my previous car (a Peugeot) could do that, remember my preferred settings, match output volume on any source AND turn the music up when the engine/road noise increased.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

toenail clippings?

If Mr. Dabbs agreed to send a DNA sample to the moon, I suspect it would be provided via a different media.

11. Fruit and Nutcase Silver badge
    Thumb Down

The Moon - the next rubbish tip

Wolverhampton couple's wedding photo in Moon launch

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-birmingham-58102566

Mr Saunders said he had secured some room on a commercial space flight, run by private firm Astrobotic, set to launch next year.

As well as scientific instruments and technologies, the company said it would be taking a "Moonbox" on the unmanned flight containing mementos from people around the world.

The personal items will be left on the lunar surface in the box as a time capsule, the company says.

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

Re: The Moon - the next rubbish tip

How does he verify that it happened? Cynical, moi?

1. Claverhouse Silver badge

Re: The Moon - the next rubbish tip

He has the sworn word of the Marketing Department.

12. JassMan
    Holmes

Any company called lifeship should...

be doing their utmost to preserve DNA. Sending it into the harshest environment outside of a reactor containment vessel is surely the height of irresponsibility. Especially when you add the environmental impact of rocket travel. Any DNA worth preserving, should be stored in one of the several ice-cave species banks which already exist around the world.

Don't get me started on the even more stupid idea of sending ash to the surface of a celestial body which is already effectively 100% covered in flyash.

Laws against fraud should automatically quadruple the sentencing where it can be shown that a reasonable person can see unjustified environmental harm has or will occur as part of the original scam. Now is the time to get serious on willful polution.

1. Stoneshop
      FAIL

Re: Any company called lifeship should...

Any DNA worth preserving, should be stored in one of the several ice-cave species banks

So this stuff, all from self-selected people with more money than sense, clearly isn't worth preserving. Even to a company called LifeShip.

13. Persona

Havana syndrome

Why do they call it the Havana Syndrome as it's just a repeat of the Moscow "sickest embassy in the world" syndrome from 60 years before.

https://www.emfacts.com/2012/06/john-goldsmith-on-scientific-misconduct-and-the-lilienfeld-study-an-oldie-but-still-relevant-today/

In fact the Moscow US embassy would have been irradiated with RF from 1945

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Thing_%28listening_device%29

so 76 years.

14. John Brown (no body) Silver badge
    Mushroom

NFT cakes?

If only I could my wife to limit herself to NFT cakes, there'd be a lot less whining about diets :-)

(no, she doesn't read El Reg, I'm safe!)

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: NFT cakes?

The (NFT) cake is a lie...

15. ShadowSystems

I know where I want to go...

Castle Anthrax to experience some peril. I need more peril, lots & lots of peril. Death by peril would be fine, I promise. =-D

Re: I know where I want to go...

Maybe you need some Joo Janta 200 Super-Chromatic Peril Sensitive Sunglasses

16. disgruntled yank

Mary Berry

Is the name somehow familiar in the UK? In the USA a Mary Berry served as president of the University of Colorado at one point, and also I think as Secretary of Education in the Clinton cabinet. It seems unlikely that she would have achieved fame in the UK.

17. Blackjack Silver badge

You could visit the Valley of the Moon in Argentina... When traveling is possible of course.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like