back to article Systems engineer community laments demise of much-loved LISA conference

USENIX, the not-for-profit advanced computing association, has decided to put an end to its beloved LISA sysadmin conferences, at least as a standalone event. In an online announcement, the LISA steering committee said that after 35 years of producing the "best systems engineering content" the event "will no longer be …

1. cornetman Silver badge
    Unhappy

I read the announcement but there seems to be no actual reason mentioned therein, despite them going on to say how popular and friendly LISA was.

Perhaps it was too popular or too friendly? Not enough drama perhaps?

2. Bitsminer Silver badge

LISA RIP

I went to a few of these way back in the day.

It was always heartening to hear people had similar problems. And we learned a lot, mostly about attitude, customer service, approaches to problem solving, and soft-skills, not so much the technologies as everyone had different tech but common issues.

At one talk, a handful of guys supporting several thousand Unix workstations at one company described how they managed to keep it all together. Made our jobs look very small by comparison.

The venues were always great -- I think my favourite was Monterey, 1995. Or was it 1993?

3. itsborken

I liked the San Diego trips

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon