back to article Ever wondered how much data web giants generate? Singaporean super-app Grab says 40TB a day

Singapore-based mega-app Grab has revealed that it generates 40TB of data a day. All that data is clearly valuable: Grab has also announced record profits. The Southeast Asian company, which bought out Uber in Singapore and since expanded into e-commerce, payments, and financial services, did not disclose what it does with the …

1. Potemkine! Silver badge
    Big Brother

Big Brother is watching us

The best part is we pay for it!

2. sreynolds

More like...

Its more like suck that grab, of data that is, IMHO.

3. Mike 137 Silver badge

Well named

"Grab" - a perfect description. However we don't know how that 1.7 MB compares with the well known mega-slurpers' achievements. That would be a very interesting study.

1. Sgt_Oddball

Re: Well named

Now amended to 40TB a day which makes a big difference to the headline.

Though doesn't feel that big to me... Considering the small distie I used to work for could push around 100GB a day when price lists changed and the API got hammered about 10 years ago so 40TB for 1000x + customers/users seems quite reasonable.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Big Brother

Well that seems an excellent reason never to use them!

5. Petalium

When there is a SPAC involved, there is something fishy going on....

6. Anonymous Coward
    Big Brother

40TB?

I have no idea if 40TB is high, low, or average for this sort of company. But it's a drop in the bucket compared to the estimated 1 Exabyte of data stored in the cloud.

I am far more concerned (or would be were I a customer) with what data they are collecting and who they are sharing it with.

But I doubt we'll ever know.

7. Jimmy2Cows Silver badge

Bubble bobble

The online food delivery segment seems to be the one to watch, as it experienced 96 per cent year-on-year growth from Q1 2020 to Q1 2021.

Couldn't be anything to do with a certain pandemic spanning that growth period, could? There's a good chance that will pretty much plateau now, with spikes and dips corresponding to local lockdown/unlocking. Watch that growth mostly evaporate when things eventually return to normal (yes, "when", not "if").

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon