back to article Security breaches where working from home is involved are costlier, claims IBM report

Firms looking to save money by shifting to more flexible ways of working will need to think carefully about IT security and the additional cost of breaches linked to staff working from home. That's according to the latest annual "Cost of a Data Breach Report" conducted by Ponemon Institute along with IBM Security, which found …

1. Nate Amsden

assuming they don't differentiate

Between working from home full time, and working from home occasionally. Key point being even if you are working from home occasionally(as in you may be based in the office 5 days a week but sometimes login to VPN when your not in the office to do something) the infrastructure needs to exist to provide remote access, so things are more vulnerable since those remote access devices have security issues of their own on occasion.

While several organizations are moving workers back to offices I don't think (m)any will be removing remote access entirely across their employee base.

2. McCovican
    Stop

I mean, this kinda feels a bit like a non-story that every C-level waste of oxygen is going to jump on to with all the vigour of an ADHD kid after pilfering the sweet shop, ignoring that the crux of the matter wasn't actually working from home itself - it was the sudden shift to working from home without preparation and resources.

3. devin3782

Is this another one of those "bugs are 100x more expensive to fix in production" baseless type reports IBM puts out which no one checks for decades?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

or part of the "everyone must work from a central location" directive aimed at older IBM-ers who'd successfully adapted to two decades of remote working?

4. This post has been deleted by its author

5. trevorde Silver badge

At least when you're working from home, you can't leave your laptop (or USB stick) on the train

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Don't tell me what I can't do!

You have no idea what I am capable of.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like