back to article Workday shares slide following claims Amazon ditched company-wide HR system

Amazon has halted plans to roll out a company-wide HR system based on SaaS from Workday, highlighting the challenges of migrating to the in-vogue application model. A deal between the megacorp and Workday, an enterprise application interloper, was signed in 2017 with Amazon HR veep Beth Galetti at the time declaring: "Workday …

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Valeyard

Human Capital Management

Wow! they've really lowered the bar there, making "Human Resources" almost cuddly by comparison, we're so close to just calling employees "interchangeable analogue components" or something

1. Anonymous Coward
      Joke

Yes, it looks the system insisted people human resources drones couldn't work 24x7 and also there was something about strange features like "holidays".

It was a clear no-no in the Amazon system. So Amazon studied the system and understood how to remove those defects. It will soon release its Drone Management System, while lobbying the Congress to abolish the 13th amendment.

2. Eclectic Man Silver badge

Human Capital Management

Is that an accounting way of changing staff costs from operating expenditure to capital expenditure?

I was going to empty the "Joke Alert" icon, but strangely I suspect I may be closer tot he mark than originally intended.

1. Cederic Silver badge

Re: Human Capital Management

Well, you do invest in your staff, seeking a return on that investment. Sounds like capital to me.

Sorry, who are we kidding. Invest in staff?

1. Eclectic Man Silver badge
          Unhappy

Re: Human Capital Management

Cederic: "Invest in staff?"

There is a Queen's Award for Industry which celebrates those companies which invest in their staff. One of my employers decided to go for it. Then the management discovered that, unaccountably, one of the criteria was that they actually had to 'invest in their staff'. Like real money and training and everything. So they decided against.

3. Amentheist
      Thumb Up

Human Cattle Management

1. Eclectic Man Silver badge

Re: Alfred Hitchcock

It was the master of suspense himself who said

"I never said all actors are cattle; what I said was all actors should be treated like cattle."

For example when filming 'The 39 Steps'

'Before filming the scene where Hannay (Robert Donat) and Pamela (Madeleine Carroll) run through the countryside, Alfred Hitchcock handcuffed them together and pretended for several hours to have lost the key in order to put them in the right frame of mind for such a situation.'

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0026029/trivia/

3. tip pc Silver badge

Nowt wrong with old stuff

“ accusing the vendor of showing "no accountability" for its part in a flawed project which could leave the state government continuing to rely on its 30-year-old mainframe-based system.”

I bet the maintenance fees are silly numbers though.

What will people do if workday goes bust or if Microsoft buys them and decides to shut it down 5 mins later as tech titans tend to do with once popular stuff like Nokia phones.

4. Doogie Howser MD

I wonder if the Bezos Boys will roll their own service now they've seen the competition's innards. It will be announced at Re:Invent with some quirky name and a completely unintelligible license model. Much like most of their products.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

It isn't so much about the competition as it is about Workday. The legacy PeopleSoft system is working fine.

5. Cederic Silver badge

I loathe Workday

A period of job hunting has given me brutal experience of multiple recruitment and HR systems and uniformly they're all terrible.

Workday is however the one I've found the most obnoxious. It actively conspires to destroy your application, mangles your carefully crafted CV and invites you to enter the same information multiple times because of its own incompetence.

Most recruitment systems, SaaS or otherwise, do one of those but Workday appear to have refined it to an actual art, excelling in all of those areas, deterring you from actually working for any company that thinks it's a good advert for working there.

Of course, the recruitment module may not represent the core HCM functionality but with so many viable alternatives available, I wouldn't even bring them in for RFI to find out.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: I loathe Workday

I work in the space and Workday is generally considered, by everyone but their HR fans, to have a completely garbage recruiting system.

2. viscount

Re: I loathe Workday

Could be worse: could be SAP.

6. JohnSheeran

Amazon HR SaaS Solution

Not to worry Workday. AWS took it's time to analyze and reproduce your product with an AWS service offering that should be publicly available soon.

It's also funny that they are still using PeopleSoft given their obvious, public disclosure of how much they hate Oracle.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Amazon HR SaaS Solution

I thought so too. After they knocked down Amazon.com on Cyber Monday by trying to migrate off the Oracle database to an AWS DB that couldn't handle the scale.... They have yet another problem where a database couldn't handle what their Oracle database under PeopleSoft had no problem handling.

7. low_resolution_foxxes

Uhh, am I reading that right? Maine has ~1m population, so every citizen has a $50 bill to pay for a cloud saas HR system???

I know governments are a bit wasteful but Sheesh, go back to paper.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

That is true across the board with Workday. It is insanely expensive even by enterprise software standards. Oracle, not known as a low cost provider, is routinely half their price.

1. czechitout

Oracle is "cheap" because they offer massive discounts to avoid losing market share to Workday. Workday is the better solution on every level.

Source: I've implemented both and been involved in numerous RFPs with both vendors.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"Oracle is "cheap" because they offer massive discounts to avoid losing market share to Workday. Workday is the better solution on every level."

You pick the ISV if you don't like Oracle. SAP SuccessFactors is also half the price of Workday.... It is not that Oracle is just giving stuff away, Oracle doesn't do that. It is that Workday is just out of step with the market.

"Workday is the better solution on every level." I disagree. Workday is better in areas. Oracle is better in areas, e.g. comp and payroll. Workday certainly has nothing over Oracle that would justify millions of dollars a year in additional costs.

8. yetanotheraoc Silver badge

Mutually agreed

`Workday said it and Amazon had both "mutually agreed to discontinue ..."`

Translation of _mutually_: Amazon agreed to discontinue, and when the checks stopped arriving, Workday also agreed to discontinue.

9. DS999 Silver badge

Starting to think Workday is a scam

More and more reports like this, or the state of Maine, who have abandoned attempts to implement the system, or given up making it work well. They must be bribing people to sign contracts with them by this point, because who would willingly do so otherwise given how many disasters they are leaving in their wake?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Starting to think Workday is a scam

I know of three major banks who have officially failed Workday projects. I know of another two major banks who have failed Workday projects but haven't decided to acknowledge it yet.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Sadly I work in in of the latter. I had thought PeopleSoft which we had previously was bad, but Workday is terrible, can't even tell you how much leave you've got left for the year.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

It isn't about cloud. Workday's product is just weak. They can't handle simple stuff like equity based comp. It really is a mid market HCM that just somehow got into the upmarket space but always has issues. Even the "successful" implementations have a bunch of workarounds and third party systems because Workday couldn't handle the function, payroll is a disaster.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I wrote a 2 page perl CGI application in my first job in my first three months that had better usability than what workday have provided to my employer nowadays. But I guess it's a bit like salesfarce, implement/integrate it wrong (and oh god I've had that with SF) and it just won't work no matter how bad or good the product is.

4. czechitout

It works both ways. I know companies who implemented Oracle Cloud, then binned it off in favour of Workday and are very happy with it.

A lot has to do with a company's expectations, the quality of their processes, requirements, user stories etc. the quality of their implementation partner(s) and so on.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

" I know companies who implemented Oracle Cloud, then binned it off in favour of Workday and are very happy with it."

True, they exist... but the difference is that Workday claims they have the holy grail of HR software and uses that claim to justify absolutely outrageous prices... Workday is 2x the cost of Oracle. If you are selling a Bentley and charging Bentley prices, the car should start.

It seems like Workday is making the same mistakes PeopleSoft made back in the day. Not content to just be the leader in HR, PSFT started trying to compete with Oracle and SAP across the board. They over extended themselves and floundered. Workday had a lead over Oracle in HCM a few years ago. Then they shifted their focus away from HR to try to reinvent the wheel with their financials and analytics.... Workday is winning on their past momentum and HR peoples' emotions at this point. No reasonable person would claim that Workday justifies their price. Oracle is passing them in many areas, comp, recruiting, always superior at payroll.

10. czechitout

Just for those who aren't People technology history buffs, PeopleSoft sold out to Oracle in 2005. Shortly afterwards, one of PeopleSoft's the founders and the chief strategist left Oracle and founded Workday, who are now Oracle's largest competitor in People systems.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

AWS Update

You could have paraphrased that update from AWS as "please don't cancel our contract Workday!!"

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like