back to article Anyone fancy a Snowmobile full of Bags O'Crap? It'll be on the list somewhere

Recently, a Reg reader* contacted us at Vulture (virtual) Towers with something odd they'd found online – a page tucked away in the little-visited “Legal Policies” section of Amazon's website containing a "non-exhaustive" list of all the trademarks held by the company. The list is massive: 821 trademarks, sorted alphabetically …

1. Mike 137 Silver badge

Fortunately for the rest of the world...

Bozos' attempt to take over the entire retail world (and, it seems, maybe the language) is thwarted because trademarks are context-dependent. They relate in each case to a single category of trade of service. So we can continue telling folks it's "6 pm" (if it is) as long as that's not in relation to shoes.

1. Chris G

Re: Fortunately for the rest of the world...

But 6PM is Shoe Time!

As for the Bag o' Crap I was wondering if perhaps Jeff had cornered the market in some way on the dog walkers on the country trails in these parts, they bag it up and hang it on a tree branch instead of taking with them to a receptacle, not sure how such a thing would be monetised but then I am not a billionaire entrepreneur.

1. elsergiovolador Silver badge

They'll be bagging the contents of the toilet on the space rocket.

1. Richard 12 Silver badge

I dare say they ask you to go before you get in his massive rocket.

2. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

"They relate in each case to a single category of trade of service. "

...and only in those jurisdictions where they have been registered.

3. gandalfcn Silver badge

Zuck seems to be challenging him in taking over the world.

2. elsergiovolador Silver badge

Don't need

What is the % of products that Amazon sells and people who buy it don't actually need, but they are addicted to shopping?

What is the environmental impact of that?

Do we actually import disguised trash, so countries that manufacture it and put on Amazon don't have to use up domestic landfills?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Don't need

80% landfill. Leave it in your basket for a week if you still need it then buy it (from elsewhere if possible).

2. Plest Silver badge
      Happy

I was once up on the shoreline near Felixstowe just watching the huge containers ships go past into the docks. A local guy wanders up and his first words to me, in that gorgeous rich Suffolk accent, "That's another boatload of plastic shite from China that's going off to an Amazon warehouse somewhere!".

1. veti Silver badge

Sounds like a Suffolk chat-up line...

1. gandalfcn Silver badge

ROFL.

3. John Brown (no body) Silver badge
      Thumb Up

"Do we actually import disguised trash, so countries that manufacture it and put on Amazon don't have to use up domestic landfills?"

Reggie Perrin made his fortune with that business model back in the 80's

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"mainly operates a strange one-product-per-day model."

Day 1: length of rubber hose

Day 2: ski mask

Day 3: bear trap

Day 4: tourist map of the pentagon

Day 5: lube

1. Brad Ackerman

Day 6: bobcat

4. The commentard formerly known as Mister_C Silver badge
    Coat

I'll never get to open the Olympic Games for this post...

Bag o' crap - Amazon owned trade mark

Sack o' cacky - Japanese motorcycle

Mine's the one with copies of 1970s ragmags and Motorcycle News in the pockets

5. Anonymous Coward
    Devil

Bottle o' Pee

An Amazon Handmade product, lovingly crafted by our employees.

1. heyrick Silver badge

Re: Bottle o' Pee

Well, if one has an upcoming company drug test that they know they're going to fail...a next day delivery of a discreet bottle of replacement pee "guaranteed drug free" "guaranteed next day delivery" might have it's benefits...

1. zuckzuckgo Silver badge

But when they get back the results for Joe in accounting and it turns out he's pregnant - there will be a few questions.

1. FozzyBear

Just lay the ground work and say you identify as a pregnant woman.

6. Richard Crossley

Snowmobile

"Truck of bits", would be better and more appropriate.

Maybe it was taken already.

7. Graham Dawson Silver badge

Perhaps, along with the Bag O'Crap, they'll start selling a Bag O'Glass. In fact I'm sure there's a lot of potential in a Bag O' line of bulk-bagged goods. Bag O'Nails, Bag O'Bugs, Bag O'Vipers... that sort of thing.

1. Clunking Fist

I can easily outsmart them, with my new "Sack of Crap". I also have "Sack of Chisels".

8. wjake

Not Woot, Bit Meh

Woot no longer does an item of the day, they have all kinds of items on a regular basis. It rotates, so it's different junk throughout the week.

Meh is now the one-item-per-day site. And most of their stuff is pretty... meh.

9. gandalfcn Silver badge

I must confess that my first reaction to the headline was "Bag O' Dicks", which Bezos is, was the well known USA Amazon style seller https://bagofdicks.com

10. big_D Silver badge
    Paris Hilton

Deal with UK.gov for takeover?

I notice that they also trademarked the UK international dialing prefix (+44)... Does that mean that I can't call the UK anymore, without having to pay Amazon a fee?

1. gandalfcn Silver badge

Re: Deal with UK.gov for takeover?

BoJo is probably getting a cut!

2. gandalfcn Silver badge

Re: Deal with UK.gov for takeover?

BoJo is probably getting a cut.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like