back to article Punchy Italian kartist gets 15-year ban for trackside rampage... and other stories

Welcome back for another compendium of tomfoolery from this week for those who enjoy a bit of light-hearted piffle. And let's face it, who doesn't? Scrappy Italian kartist loses rag, loses licence A petulant Italian kart racer has had a 15-year ban from all professional motorsport upheld by the FIA's International Court of …

1. lglethal Silver badge
    Go

One awesome comment I read from one of the Russian newspapers was "How sad is that in 30 years, we have learnt how to steal everything, but not how to spend it?"

Seems highly appropriate, somehow. :)

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Yes, it forgot to spend some to keep Putin happy, in that case it could have kept laughing while sitting on its gold seat.

1. DJO Silver badge

I did a rough calculation taking Putin's alleged personal wealth and the number of years he's been in power.

The man is a genius insofar he has elevated corruption to an art form - every hour, night and day for 25 years, his personal wealth increased by more than the amount of money an average Russian worker could expect to earn in his or her lifetime. Not bad for a government salary.

2. Robert Carnegie Silver badge

Presumed innocent...

A man should not be judged by the colour of his bidet.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

NASCAR* had a famous trackside dust up many years ago. One of the drivers/ combatants later described he exchange along the lines of "we were just having a friendly discussion about the race when he started beating on my fist with his nose"

* American motor sport, like F1, except only left turns (ok, a few tracks are "road" courses) and they drive stock cars. "Stock" meaning the highly-advanced massively engineered machines have a body that looks vaguely like a sedan and have a sticker that says something like "Dodge Charger" so you can pretend your daily driver shares the heritage of your favorite race team.

1. disgruntled yank

Indeed

I came here to say that fistfights in pit row used to be not unheard of in NASCAR.

3. skeptical i
    Thumb Up

go-karts + thunderdome

First two go-kart'ers across the finish line go into the octagon and duke it out, whoever survives takes on the third across the line, and so on until one is left standing and the rest are too tired/ unconscious to start any ruckus.

1. W.S.Gosset

Re: go-karts + thunderdome

Mad Mario Max

1. Eclectic Man Silver badge

Re: go-karts + thunderdome

There is a sport where the participants alternately play a move at chess and then a round of boxing. But the violence there is umpired.

4. FuzzyTheBear
    Pint

Kart ? Corberi dethroning Trump as top sore looser ?

do my eyes deceive me ? .. i mean .. can there really be a more sore looser than Trump ? .. Corberi ?

i mean < rubs eyes > .. naaaah .. got to be the booze .. and yet .. ill have 4 5 more .. maybe my vision will correct itself :D

1. Evil Auditor Silver badge

Re: Kart ? Corberi dethroning Trump as top sore looser ?

Rank sore loosers if you must. But it's a bit like ranking crap according to to its taste. Sure, you can do it but it all tastes like shit.

5. chivo243 Silver badge
    Facepalm

The Original Model?

For Road Rage? Good thing these guys don't carry guns... Death Race 2000? Mad Max? Max are you available for a race next weekend?

1. W.S.Gosset
      Pirate

Re: The Original Model?

"Only a fool brings a kart to a Honda Accord fight."

6. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

Kartist?

WTF is a "kartist"? Does it involve piss?

Back in my day, they were Go-Karters!

As for the muscle car conversion, "because they can". Like climbing a mountain. Because. Or maybe because it's hard.

And finally, was the Russian Traffic Cop Chief called Trumpski by any chance?

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge
      Happy

Re: Kartist?

Oh dear, it seems one can't even maker a joke about Trumps love of gold bathrooms without triggering the Trumpers :-)

7. Anonymous Coward
    Facepalm

He's no Murray Walker

I haven't watched it all through - I just couldn't listen to any more of that awful, dreary commentary.

At 1.48 he says "Accidents are always a matter of IF not WHEN in motorsport..."

1. Mark 85

Re: He's no Murray Walker

At 1.48 he says "Accidents are always a matter of IF not WHEN in motorsport..."

I think it's the other way around.... a matter of "when" not "ifi". Even in drag racing (straight line, separate lanes) they require lots of safety gear because "when".

Back when I was younger, I did a lot of drag racing and had a lot of days/nights that I'd rather not have again that were hard on the equipment and my body.

1. Lord Elpuss Silver badge

Re: He's no Murray Walker

"I think it's the other way around.... a matter of "when" not "ifi"."

That's the point; the commentator clearly has neither interest nor competence. Pure mass produced clickbaity vid which under normal circumstances I'd never ever watch, except I quite wanted to see how this actually happened and whether the reality really was as insane as the Reg article implied. Short answer: it was.

8. Potemkine! Silver badge

There's a video of the 'mansion' from the Moskow Times you can watch here.

His decoration choices are by themselves a good reason to cuff that guy.

Also, an interesting news from this site: "Russia ‘Successfully Disconnected’ From World Wide Web in Tests – RBC"

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Also, an interesting news from this site: "Russia ‘Successfully Disconnected’ From World Wide Web in Tests – RBC"

Only one question: can we make it work from the other side?

9. PerlyKing
    Joke

I'm shocked! Shocked, I tell you!

The behaviour by the "kartist" was bad enough, but to have the punch-up recorded in squint-inducing Portrait-O-Vision was dreadful!

10. mechgru2
    Flame

Mustang Silly

Given the high price of petrol (gasoline) relative to earnings in India it's not surprising that the engine has not been changed. Also the traffic in places like Delhi and Bangalore make it almost impossible to go at more than 40 km/h, why have a gas guzzler? For info, last time I was in India (pre-covid) fuel was about £1.00/ litre, but a typical IT graduate salary was about £6-7k p.a.

1. Zimmer
      Unhappy

Re: Mustang Silly

Your comment has disturbed the 'force' around here...

Also the traffic in places like Delhi and Bangalore make it almost impossible to go at more than 40 km/h, why have a gas guzzler? For info, last time I was in India (pre-covid) fuel was about £1.00/ litre, but a typical IT graduate salary was about £6-7k p.a.

For Delhi read 'London', for Bangalore read 'Birmingham' and for IT Graduate read 'Old Age Pensioner'..

The coup de grace ? Read £1.40/ litre..

(Yes, I have a bus pass but would you ride on one these days without PPE 3 mask (or whatever they're actually called, you know, the ones that are supposed to keep the germs out).

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like