back to article In the Navy, we want to share data with some ease. In the Navy, can someone help us with this please?

The Royal Navy is on the hunt, not for enemy submarines in this instance, but for a technology supplier to provide a data integration platform in return for a bounty of £50m. The British naval warfare force said it needed the new platform to help it share data with "military, maritime and industry partners," according to a …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

National Security Concerns!

Where is all the frothing apoplectic rage against allowing the foreigns to bid for this type of thing?

1. Snake Silver badge

Re: frothing apoplectic rage

They're too busy frothing at every other "apoplectic" thing within their view. Like dogs and cats co-mingling, gay horses and universal bathroom breaks, things like that.

2. scrubber

Re: National Security Concerns!

We're all foreign now.

As governments around the world act more and more like China we may as well just be China.

2. Mike 137 Silver badge

The RN Marketing Dept. wrote this one

'"partner to provide digital upskilling and a data integration platform that will operationalise and enhance existing RN digital capability on a secure, accredited, multi-classification, interoperable platform that enables the sharing of data among military, maritime and industry partners using open standards so that users can use analytics and visualisations to improve decision making capability."'

As far as I can grasp, as a requirements statement this just means:

"we want an accredited data repository that's secure, classified, and capable of serving data among our various partners conveniently using open standards"

What armed force wouldn't?

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

Re: The RN Marketing Dept. wrote this one

It should be a hint to the NAO to start their investigation now to save time later on.

3. entfe001
    Coffee/keyboard

I hate you and your heading writing skills

Icon VERY relevant →

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

Agreed. That one has to be at least in the top 10 for this year!

4. keithpeter Silver badge
    Childcatcher

Market Gardens...

Can't help thinking that this and the NHS records thing and other similar applications would be best met by a UK quasi governmental corporation developing stuff for UK (with an eye to roll out elsewhere) from existing open-source tools.

You know, developing some skills within the UK that might generate jobs.

Sort of JISC for data (kind of).

Am I being unrealistic?

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Peter Thiel..........Please (please) have nothing to do with him!!!

Link: https://www.bloombergquint.com/businessweek/palantir-knows-everything-about-you

1. Gene Cash Silver badge

Re: Peter Thiel..........Please (please) have nothing to do with him!!!

I only like Peter Thiel for the fact he bankrolled Hulk Hogan's suit against Gawker.

I still like Elon Musk for SpaceX, despite the fact he started Paypal.

6. Kev99 Silver badge

Shoot. If the Limeys want to share data, just store it "in the cloud". Everyone and his sister will have access within a day or two.

7. Michael Hoffmann Silver badge
    Unhappy

Argh!

And not ONE comment about now not being able to get that bloody song out of your head?!

We want you. We want you. We want you, for a new contract.... or something.

Make it stop!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like