back to article Dang vaccines dented our bottom line in the connected home sector, says Netgear

Netgear has blamed a noticeable slump in one market sector on a surprising cause: the COVID-19 vaccination programme in the UK and US. In results published late yesterday, the computer networking outfit boasted of double-digit revenue growth and a 58 per cent boost in products aimed at small and medium-sized businesses year-on …

1. Gordon 10

I call bullshit. With the Vaccination programs not even in full swing until April at the earliest its a feeble excuse at best.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I don't know... I've been spreading the word about Netgear's shitty EOLs and lack of security (and updates) - and for a change, people have been "yeah I already know... I'm not buying that crap"

1. Jean Le PHARMACIEN

Reliability reputation impacts Getgear..

From my experience of last few years (home networks) I've had two ProSafe switches die at 18mo and spare ones (boxed new) DOA on opening to use. I've now dumped rest of kit as unreliable/unsage (security) and told everyone I know, why.

Not that any listens to me re IT amongst my friends (glazed expressions)

Oh, and by the way, "impacts" is in the title as a protest :

1. improper use when "affects" is better description

2. if everything is IMPACTED the word loses significance and er..impact

3. journos in supposedly upmarket newspapers and TV stations who should know better, have taken to throwing about

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Maybe because more people are working from home and more IT departments are actively involved in home networks and security it only goes to reason that eventually they would require their users to secure their networks properly and get rid of/change their fisher price my first router.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Angel

Fisher Price

That's a slur. Having raised two children, Fisher Price toys are well made, inexpensive, and they work.

None of that applies to Netgear. Although I suppose you could call them toys.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Fisher Price

I had the garage and the record player so yes I agree. I also got my kids the garage, original plus I bought decals to do it up from ebay. Quality stuff unlike Netgear.

4. fidodogbreath

Consumer routers are crap. However, they can be set up via a friendly-looking wizard by (almost) anyone. Until real routers become similarly user-friendly, we'll be stuck with the likes of Notgear and Stinksys forever.

1. QuiteEvilGraham
      Happy

You say that, yet I've had Linksys and Netgear "consumer" products for 20-odd years now that have been running 24/7/365 without missing a beat. 18 years of that working more or less exclusively from home. Both upgraded this year 'cos gigabit internet, so we'll see.

5. Howard Sway Silver badge

precious silicon having been "consumed" to make glass vaccine vials

Nothing like getting your priorities right, is there Dell? You sound like undertakers whining that Q2 earnings are down on last year.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like