back to article China pushes back against Exchange attack sponsorship claims

China has very firmly pushed back against the accusation it paid contractors to attack Microsoft's Exchange Server. The USA, UK, NATO and other nations on Monday named China as the source of the attack. On Tuesday, spokesperson for the Chinese Foreign Ministry, Zhao Lijian, responded to accusations that China's Ministry of …

1. sitta_europea Silver badge

In other news ... Teapot Calls Kettle Black!

2. lglethal Silver badge
    Go

And have you, China, provided the addresses and details of these "American" miscreants to the relevant American authorities? I'm sure some of them are NSA or the like, but how many are just regular miscreants who have chosen not to p&ss in their own backyard (in order to avoid the local plod, like the Russian crews). I have no doubt the US would also like to collar those miscreants. It would be a nice little bit of publicity to say "See we're stopping our own miscreants! Now its time for Russian and China to do the same!". The Yanks are not going to avoid an opportunity like that, if you give them the details! So why havent you protected your citizens and handed over the details?

And having been provided with the details by the US, UK and EU of your Chinese miscreants have you acted against them?

Hmmm... Methinks he doth protest too much...

1. teknopaul

Have you forgotten Snowden already? They didn't stop when Snowden revealed the scale of what they do, and that they do it as a service for other nations.

3. Potemkine! Silver badge

The opposite would have been so surprising

"Yeah, we did it, and fuck the USA! "

The US has not a shred of credibility left on the issue of cyber security

Nor does China.

4. Eclectic Man Silver badge

What did everyone expect?

Let me get this straight - everyone with the technical ability spies on everyone else, if they think they can get away with it?

Sounds about right. Plus

Everyone who is spied upon complains that this is aggressive and not fair.

Sounds about right too.

The USA, NATO etc complain about Russia, North Korea and the PRC using technology to enhance their 'intelligence gathering capabilities', while doing the exact same thing themselves. (If 'our lot' didn't they would have some serious questions to answer to the relevant government ministers and parliamentary select committees.)

There are spy agencies and criminals in all countries, some more effective than others, and some are probably difficult to tell apart. Forgive me but I am not entirely surprised.

1. teknopaul

Re: What did everyone expect?

Thats about right, except Finland: who have the technical ability but don't do it.

Everybody else is doing it, has never been a good excuse for behaving badly.

1. elsergiovolador Silver badge

Re: What did everyone expect?

Aren't Finnish companies actually Chinese proxies these days?

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Can't the UK disclose how we know it's China?

They said it's state-sponsored. I'm sure they have a way to figure this out, but it's a pity if they can't tell us what it is. China is saying "you can't just trust governments to tell you these things" and it has a point. What we need is a more concrete public statement of exactly why we think the state was behind it.

(Anonymous because I don't want to be killed by a random Chinese vigilante if I upset them)

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Can't the UK disclose how we know it's China?

Given the amount of state sponsored hacking done by the "good guys" they are fairly sure the same amount of hacking is done by the bad guys. Based on who/what is targeted it's also not too hard to figure out if it is a supposed "ally", indiscriminate cyber crime gang or supposed "enemy state".

2. druck Silver badge

Re: Can't the UK disclose how we know it's China?

They could tell you exactly how they came to the conclusion on who was responsible, but then that would also give all bad guys the information needed to pretend to be a different set bad guys.

6. TimMaher Silver badge
    Facepalm

Non governmental.

CNCERT? In China? Non governmental? Nearly shat myself.

7. OssianScotland

Mandy Rice Davis

Well, they WOULD say that, wouldn't they.....

8. TeeCee Gold badge
    Meh

Hmm.

53% of how many.....?

He may well be comparing half a dozen apples with a bulk freighter of pears here.

1. Claptrap314 Silver badge
      Trollface

Re: Hmm.

He's saying 53%, so it's probably at least 15 apples...

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

They’re all at it

The only difference is when a government oppresses their own people with it.

China is a clear winner in that department.

10. Unbelievable!

Tired of U.S and 7 eyes nations doing what they want

Dear US, you are NOT the worlds police.

Concentrate your money on solving issues at home. You do NOT have to be involved in everything everywhere.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like