back to article Former ad exec sticks Steve Jobs' 1973 job application in a scanner for physical-versus-digital NFT auction

A former ad exec is trying to make some cash history by pitting two copies of a job application penned by Apple co-founder Steve Jobs in 1973 against each other at auction – one the original physical copy, and the other a cryptocurrency-backed non-fungible token (NFT). "The Steve Jobs hand-written 1973 job application auction …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Can't people do new / interesting / helpful things rather than just trying to make a quick buck with silly pointless things?

People are still dying in floods and people are selling hashes to one another representing that they own some physical object.

Strange

1. EarthDog

the perception of doing something is of higher value that that of actually doing something. This comment is a perfect example.

1. TheProf
        Devil

I was going to upvote you but I don't want to appear complicit.

2. elsergiovolador Silver badge

He changed the world

The world was one way, and then Steve Jobs came and it was another!

Type in YouTube "Bill Burr destroyed Steve Jobs"

:-)

1. The commentard formerly known as Mister_C Silver badge
      Pint

Re: He changed the world

" Type in YouTube "Bill Burr destroyed Steve Jobs" "

If that's a RickRoll then you get one of these ---->

3. DrXym

Well that's silly

Assuming somebody were to buy the physical copy they could just roll out as many copies as they liked or give it away. So good luck bidding on that digital copy.

Not that I think a job application by Steve Jobs is worth much except maybe to a computing museum or something of that nature.

4. TheProf
    Devil

Bid

I think I'll put a bid in for the digital version.

When I win I intend to sell each off each pixel as an NFT.

Bwah haw haw.

5. sreynolds

So much for farken privacy

Why would anyone even care? Anyhow, I thought that these documents were private and confidential. Or do I need to send out an NDA before I apply for a job?

6. Gene Cash Silver badge

Don't judge your CV by the grammatical errors

Really? Your CV is supposed to be "your best foot forward" - if that's your best, and it's full of errors, that's not very promising.

1. sreynolds

Re: Don't judge your CV by the grammatical errors

And the interview is all about how you look in a black turtle neck.

You can see all the i thinks starring there. The sleek layout of the CV, and the lower case j in Yobs are all exactly what he brought to apple.

1. Martin an gof Silver badge

"sleek"?

That's not a CV, it's a flyer, and not a very good one at that. If that dropped on to my desk I'd take one look at it and assume it was someone who had a quota to fill and wasn't very confident at typing, or handwriting for that matter. It tells you absolutely nothing other than the applicant thinks he can do "electronics design, tech", and as we all know, it wasn't Jobs who did the (clever) electronics, it was Wozniak.

I suppose you could look at it one of two ways. Either the applicant isn't serious, or companies were so desperate for staff back in the US in 1973 that all you had to do was stick your hand up and say "uuh, yeah, I cun do dat" and you'd be hired.

How things have changed.

M.

1. VTAMguy

... companies were so desperate for staff back in the US in 1973 that all you had to do was stick your hand up and say "uuh, yeah, I cun do dat"...

Not quite, but pretty close. There were just not that many people who knew how to program, and especially in areas like systems programming (which was a very small community) so it was laissez le bon temps rouler if you had the skills. Headhunters in the NYC/NJ area would call multiple times per day (my personal record was 5 calls in a single day) offering mainframe systems jobs with minimal interviewing, generally with only the person who would be your boss (no HR droids involved because HR had no say in the process). Applications programming jobs for trainees were also fairly easy to come by. Now there's a zillion people in the world claiming to know something about software, but as we can plainly see from the state of the Internet, they don't.

7. Mr Dogshit
    Headmaster

"to pen" is not a verb.

1. deadlockvictim

The Americans use the word 'architect' as a verb, for $DEITY's sake, so I think that penning something can be understood in that context. I must try that with other professions/trades: I was plumbering with the database yesterday and in the end I had to quantity surveyor it for 4 hours.

To quote Bill Watterson, 'Verbing weirds language'.

2. GlenP Silver badge

To pen is a verb, at least in British English, albeit possibly somewhat archaic.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like