back to article Watchdog slaps down Three's claims to be building the UK's 'fastest 5G network' – again

The Advertising Standards Authority (ASA) has warned mobile network Three not to repeat claims that it is "building the UK's fastest 5G network" and that its network represents "real 5G" – after pulling the company up on the same claims a year ago. A complaint was brought by rival network Vodafone UK against Hutchison 3G UK, …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

claims that it is "building the UK's fastest 5G network"

and the game of whack-a-mole with ASA continues. The only difference here is that both parties know EXACTLY it's a game, and that they both benefit from it.

btw, whose turn is it now to run adverts that 'must not be shown again', Vodafone? BT? There must be a rota on this, agreed between ASA and all players.

2. IGotOut Silver badge

Dear Goverment.

Please allow ASA to fine companies 10% of global turnover for misleading adverts. Failure to pay fine results in 1 year in prison for Marketing Directors, for both the company asking for the advert AND, if a 3rd party is involved, the director of the advertising company.

That should very quickly stop 90% of current adverts dead.

1. elsergiovolador Silver badge

Re: Dear Goverment.

What if company installs a patsy as a director? Year holiday at HM resort and a nice bonus on leaving, would be just another cost of doing business.

I think we should start fining shareholders.

1. eldakka

As long as I'm paid as a director, with the same golden parachutes, then I could make myself available for such a gig.

2. Fazal Majid

You mean the same ASA that allows BT OpenReach and its sock puppet resellers to advertise its shitty VDSL as “fibre” and in fact shielded them from a legal challenge by a real fibre operator? They are fully captured, all right.

1. tip pc Silver badge

Yes the same ASA that lets Virgin advertise its copper broadband as fibre.

3. elsergiovolador Silver badge

The form

I wonder if their form, where you can report lack of reception actually submits data anywhere...

1. CountCadaver Silver badge

Re: The form

I had Three, brilliant reception next town over, fantastic data rates, home address full 4G signal but sub 1mbps speeds, ended up cancelling the contract as they refused to admit there was an issue with the local mast, then blamed congestion and said it had been resolved, data rate dropped further, so used cooling off period and went elsewhere...

4. anthonyhegedus Silver badge

Cloud Core bollocks

What's a 'cloud core'? Is this a core network that's in a datacentre connected to the internet? What utter nonsense these companies spout. I wouldn't touch three with a 10-foot bargepole.

1. Graham Cobb Silver badge

Re: Cloud Core bollocks

Actually, it is a real technical term with a real meaning in the 5G network architecture.

However, it makes no practical difference to ordinary users (it may be more relevant for some of the network's industrial users and partners looking to use features designed for stadiums, factories, or edge computing).

5. Jason Hindle

If Three's 4G network is anything to go by....

They've no chance. They've relegated themselves to the bargain basement, all you can slurp crowd and just don't have the capacity as it is (either cellular or backbone).

1. CountCadaver Silver badge

Re: If Three's 4G network is anything to go by....

Their masts seem to hit and miss, some in heavily populated areas have brilliant data rates and others are running at near ISDN 64kbps speeds despite full 4G signal...shame as the price was spot on.

Went to Vodafone on a 60GB for £12 deal via a reseller and its been flawless for the price, no less than 10mbps even in busy times and a high of 65mbps download in quiet times.

1. smartroad

Re: If Three's 4G network is anything to go by....

My local town center has terrible coverage by 3 and it is a large town (by population) as well. The 3 store has zero signal which is just hilarious.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Having had complaints refused by ASA

When I pointed how wrong the science the adverts were depicting, I can safely say the ASA don't give a funk about scientific accuracy.

7. I am David Jones
    Stop

Misleading claims aren’t the half of it

How about banning text in television adverts that cannot be read by an average viewer watching an average-sized TV in the available time?

8. smartroad

Considering I rarely ever see decent 4G download speeds on 3 and really poor coverage in a major town (both at home AND in the town center!) 3 are just terrible liars at this point, at least as far as I am concerned.

I doubt 5G will have any better coverage and will be throttled to hell and back by them.

9. This post has been deleted by its author

10. Bob McBobface

shocked i tell you

that advertising is amoral propaganda

who knew?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like