back to article IBM's 3% sales growth may not seem like much but it's the biggest it's had in three years

IBM on Monday reported better than anticipated revenue for Q2 2021, sending its shares up in after-hours trading. Big Blue, evidently unfazed by a multi-week email disruption that's still not entirely resolved, delivered sales totaling $18.7bn for the quarter, an increase of three per cent year over year. It's the strongest …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Hybrid Vigor

Kyndryl: A merger of Amazon's Kindle and the dating app Tinder, now adopted by IBM.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Probably because all those emails cancelling deals haven't been received?

Or maybe conveniently 'lost' and blamed on the EMAIL debacle?

I may joke, but a part of me wouldn't be surprised!

3. Krassi

going backwards still

Putting this in context: I've seen reported this morning an estimate of the Q2 growth in US GDP of 8-9% year on year, and the inflation rate estimated around 5-6 %. So IBM are lagging the general economy and going backwards in real (inflation adjusted) terms.

1. Snake Silver badge

Re: infinite growth

It's the Wall Street delusion, the brass ring, that keeps the Street existing. Between it and the fellow delusion of the Prefect Market, business-types keep themselves running on the treadmill to Hell in the attempt to make their pipe dreams a reality.

2. DS999 Silver badge

Re: going backwards still

IBM didn't see as much of a hit as the overall GDP so they wouldn't see as much of gain now. The GDP number is very uneven - sectors hit hard by covid like travel, restaurants and commercial real estate fell much further than others, and stand to gain far more than the rest as things return to normal.

IBM's business wouldn't be affected all that much by covid, so expecting to see 8-9% growth just because the GDP does is not at all reasonable.

4. trevorde Silver badge

What IBM did next

Cue Resource Actions in 3.. 2.. 1...

1. quxinot
      Joke

Re: What IBM did next

See? All those layoffs worked!

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Layoff 10% of your staff for 3% growth - now if they can only keep doing this another 30 times they could double their growth with no staff.

1. DS999 Silver badge

Hey 3% growth compounded 30 times is nothing to sneeze at. Where can I subscribe to your newsletter?

5. Dan 55 Silver badge

You'd be surprised at just how much more productive you are once you uninstall Lotus Notes.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like