back to article Paid antivirus? On ads? Think of all the beer you could buy without that subscription

Beer and bork: two of our favourite things here at Vulture Central. And also, it seems, at the Co-Op. In this instance, digital signage that would normally be advertising delicious beer brewed in the Cotswolds (a charming part of the UK) is revealing that the retailer – or, more likely, whoever is responsible for the screens …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Pint

New tipple?

Badgers Old Bork?

1. Data Mangler

Re: New tipple?

That would be brewed in Blandford Forum in Dorset, (Hall & Woodhouse, Badger Beer) not the Cotswolds.Thankfully, their product has become a lot more palatable than the stuff they used to churn out in the seventies.

1. 42656e4d203239 Silver badge
        Coat

Re: New tipple?

>>That would be brewed in Blandford Forum in Dorset,

Not unless they have moved the brewery across the river... it was in Blandford St. Mary last time I looked!

2. This post has been deleted by its author

3. TheProf
    Joke

Where once simple posters might have hung

But imagine the misery of the poorly paid shop assistant having to swap the poster every 30 seconds.

1. katrinab Silver badge
      Windows

Re: Where once simple posters might have hung

Before the got computers doing the job, they used to have them on long equlateral triangular prism strips that rotated 120° every 30 seconds or so. That only allowed you to have three different frames though.

4. captain veg Silver badge

"However auto-renewal has not happened here."

Doesn't the globe icon in the notification area indicate that the machine is disconnected from the internet? Which would seem like a good idea, in the circumstances.

-A.

1. Captain Scarlet

Re: "However auto-renewal has not happened here."

With the team viewer icon being on in the background I'm tempted to believe it probably has some form of internet connection. Probably behind a proxy of some sort.

Also its an endpoint solution, I would assume Eset would have something within the company itself like most other AV's (I use Eset myself but only for personal use).

1. heyrick Silver badge

Re: "However auto-renewal has not happened here."

Indeed, it will probably be connected via some sort of VPN to head office so that new content (different adverts) can be pushed out centrally.

1. unccvince

No need for VPN, nor AV

Just have a clean OS image to start from, close all incoming ports, have an agent installed on the machine running the display that regularly fetches signed billboard updates on an internet facing web server, authenticating with the web server using a client certificate.

Bam, best security, no AV, no VPN, the billboard will update as long as it has sometimes some internet connectivity.

5. Chris G

Badger Ales

I would like to know, is this made from fermented badgers or made by badgers?

Either way, it doesn't sound very appealing.

A bit like the old Bishop's Finger, one would like assurances of where his finger has been and what pertenance it has to the ale before imbibing.

1. 42656e4d203239 Silver badge

Re: Badger Ales

Badger brewery, Blandford St. Mary, Dorset.

>>Either way, it doesn't sound very appealing.

Au Cotraire. My all time favourite one of theirs is Tanglefoot - a well kept keg of that (hard to find.. it's a finnicky beer and hard to keep well; probably why you tend to find it in bottles & cans!) is absolutely scrummy.

They used to do (still do? I duunno moved away so not really looking any more) several on trend ales - peachy, gingery, session style etc. which ranged from "why?" through "hmmm not bad" to "almost as nice as Tanglefoot"

They are, incidentally, the manufacturers of Panda Pops as well - the forever reasonably priced sugar/sweetner in a can/bottle beverages.

6. John Brown (no body) Silver badge
    Facepalm

It's rather annoying....

It's rather annoying that every fucking app that needs updating thinks it's OK to put a bloody great window over the top of whatever else is running to remind you that you simply MUST spend some more money with them. I'm sure there must be some less intrusive methods available. In particular, this is an instance of a corporate app so it's probably expired across their estate. There's no need whatsoever for the users to be informed. There's nothing they can do about it. The responsibility (and the blame!) lies with whoever is responsible for maintaining the corporate licencing.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

Pint Punters Punt Payment

Maybe Vulture Central's headline writer was focused too much on his second favorite thing.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like