back to article Microsoft, Google, Citizen Lab blow lid off zero-day bug-exploiting spyware sold to governments

Software patches from Microsoft this week closed two vulnerabilities exploited by spyware said to have been sold to governments by Israeli developer Candiru. On Thursday, Citizen Lab released a report fingering Candiru as the maker of the espionage toolkit, an outfit Microsoft code-named Sourgum. It is understood the spyware, …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Big Brother

Targets

"Israel’s Ministry of Defense ... has so far proven itself unwilling to subject surveillance companies to the type of rigorous scrutiny that would be required to prevent abuses."

"about half [of the targets} are in Palestine, and the rest dotted around Israel, Iran, Lebanon, Yemen ..."

Just coincidentally, countries Israel’s Ministry of Defense is interested in.

Of the other targets, "Spain, the United Kingdom, Turkey, Armenia, and Singapore", Turkey is likely surveilling it's own and Armenian dissidents, Spain is probably surveilling the Catalans, who knows about Singapore.

If I lived across the pond, I'd be asking why the UK is on the list.

1. Dinanziame Silver badge

Re: Targets

It's likely Singapore who is surveiling Singapore. It's a will-functioning country, but from the viewpoint of personal freedom, it's no paradise.

1. Oh Matron!

an ex governor did once say that, "if you want to live in utopia, you have yo give up freedoms"

1. Snowy Silver badge
          Facepalm

Benjamin Franklin > Quotes “Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”

Sure and once everyone is dead the world is peaceful utopia with no crime.

2. anothercynic Silver badge

Bingo! Singapore will be surveilling Singaporeans.

And it would not surprise me if GCHQ paid them to get their hands on the tech to use against Brits (or other dissidents living in the UK).

2. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

"If I lived across the pond, I'd be asking why the UK is on the list."

Probably because, like many "free" countries, it's one of the places dissidents etc flee to. Some of them will have set up organisations opposing the home government etc.

2. Neil Barnes Silver badge

Candiru

A nasty little fish which (allegedly) parasites the human urethra... good name for it!

3. Potemkine! Silver badge

What a bunch of nasty bastards. And it's not even a mafia, but a business, making legit money by helping other bastards to send people in jail or worse.

Ransomware scums are nice guys compared to those ones.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Helping put terrorists in jail vs crippling healthcare companies for financial gain - yeah, far worse.

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge
        Pirate

One mans terrorist is another mans freedom fighter.

Just sayin'

1. Arthur 1

"One mans terrorist is another mans freedom fighter." not only is this statement incredibly stupid and obviously untrue, but it's probably the single most morally reprehensible saying in the entirety of English.

Yes, a UN peacekeeper, a pilot who fought to defend his country in the Battle of Britain and a guy who runs around in back alleys in a foreign city collecting babies to put in an oversized blender because they're the wrong colour are all morally equivalent people motivated by morally equivalent things and using morally equivalent techniques to achieve their aims. Sounds right to me.

So you can't think of a single example of people being labelled terrorists by one group and freedom fighters by another group? Nelson Mandela comes to mind as an example you may have heard of. I'll leave you to go do your own research for others because you clearly have a red rage going on with this topic and any further comments will only be seen through that haze.

1. Arthur 1

So to summarize your post: "nuh uh nuh nuh nuh uh you mad you mad" and then you ran to another country with the goalposts. Well done.

Characterizing me as in a "red rage" is both dishonest and lazy, you can do better. And trying to conflate the wholly different matter at hand with Nelson Mandela is not doing better lol.

1. Anonymous Coward
                Anonymous Coward

As the Germans advanced into France in 1940, Paul Reynaud resigned as prime minister and the vice premier, Philippe Pétain, was appointed in his place and promptly agreed an armistice. His government was the legal government of France. It agreed to the Nazi occupation of half the country as part of the terms of the armistice, in the same manner as, for example, Germany had agreed to the occupation of the Rhineland under the terms of the armistice at the end of the First World War. The legal French government and the Nazi occupiers, who were there by agreement with that government, both considered French Resistance members terrorists and ruthlessly hunted them down. The post war French government equally considered them freedom fighters. Which were they?

Another case is the Malayan People's Anti-Japanese Army. They fought against the Japanese occupation of the country during the Second World War. The British considered them freedom fighters, and supplied them copiously with weapons and training, whilst the Japanese occupiers considered them terrorists. This is an interesting case because after the Japanese surrender, the British re-occupied Malaya as part of recovering its Asian empire, and much of the British-armed and trained Malayan People's Anti-Japanese Army re-badged itself overnight as the Malayan People's Anti-British Army. Many of the same British officers who had supported and trained them as freedom fighters were then tasked with hunting them down as terrorists.

1. Lil Endian Silver badge

And there's more... (Ho Chi Minh)

Well, said PC (and good lead in JB(nb)

Ho Chi Minh: saved (literally) by the OSS in WW2 so the US gubmint could stamp on him later. Sorry, I mean "stamp on the pinkos"

It doesn't even need to be a different state for the tables to turn does it?

"...probably the single most morally reprehensible saying in the entirety of English."

^ read more English - there's plenty more disgusting-er out there. Understand irony.

History is written by the winners. Now we have global comms it's only morons that keep the truth down.

2. Lil Endian Silver badge

Arab Spring...?

So: Arab Spring

No significant governments stepped up.

Who did help? Those that could supply knowledge and gear for maintaining open comms with the outside world. Basic equipment thrown over border fences with instructions how to hook it up to Tor.

And the bad guys are....

2. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Your rather silly strawman argument looks like a dead cat to divert attention away from this software being used to target "politicians, human rights activists, and journalists, to academics, embassy workers and political dissidents".

Are academics, embassy workers and journalists "terrorists"?

3. anothercynic Silver badge

What the South African Apartheid regime called terrorists were considered freedom fighters by the people in the townships and by the people under the cosh in Namibia.

What Venezuela called terrorists are considered freedom fighters opposed to the regime there.

What Myanmar considers terrorists are considered freedom fighters by the Rohingya.

What the US authorities considered terrorists (like the Black Panthers), blacks in the civil rights movement to a degree considered freedom fighters.

The list goes on. And on.

Maybe the saying should be turned on its head by saying "One man's freedom fighter is another man's terrorist" because that at least is more accurate and less likely to be grossly misconstrued.

2. doublelayer Silver badge

Because the people they've seen the malware used against are definitely terrorist material, aren't they? Stuff like this gets sold to governments which don't value their citizens' rights (or anybody else's for that matter). It's not a law enforcement tool. It's a tool of dictatorship, which can be proven by watching who ends up a victim of it.

3. Anonymous Coward
        Stop

>Helping put terrorists in jail vs crippling healthcare companies for financial gain - yeah, far worse.

"The weapons disabled were being used in precision attacks targeting more than 100 victims around the world including politicians, human rights activists, journalists, academics, embassy workers and political dissidents"

4. mark l 2 Silver badge

Good to see that Internet Explorer is still causing exploits years after it was superseded. And although MS have said they will remove it from Windows in 2022 that is only the ability to run the program directly. The IE engine will still be used for Edge IE mode and MS Office help files even in Windows 11 so there are still the risk that it can be getting exploited by malware. I predict it will be decades away before we see a Windows version that doesn't come with some form of IE on it.

1. IGotOut Silver badge

And Chrome?

2. Rol

Hell! There are huge numbers of organisations still running i.e. 6, and unlikely to stop as their legacy software/hardware is deemed too expensive to upgrade. And we're not talking small inconsequential businesses, we're talking international financial institutions, and a smattering of government agencies to boot.

Perhaps, like with Ireland's vehicle scrappage scheme, we could see some form of legislation that forces certain strategic sectors of the economy to upgrade their systems at the barrel of a double chambered punitive fining gun, that gets fired and reloaded with ever bigger charges, until the cost of upgrading becomes less than the fine.

Coffee/keyboard

Thank you, thank you... *cough* *splutter* thank you!

5. Lil Endian Silver badge
    Megaphone

FleeceBook

FleeceBook: "Hey, look! There's a tool out there that is perfect for our business model!"

Part 1: "...and claiming Facebook itself tried to buy the company's Pegasus snoopware but was turned down."

FleeceBook: "Wah! Wah, waaaah! Compromising our users is our job! Waaaah!" (Proceeds to empty pram of all toys...)

Part 2: "Facebook is suing the NSO Group, accusing it of unlawfully compromising users' phones to snoop on them via a security hole in WhatsApp."

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I'm learning

I now understand why so many peoples have a problem with that nation. No wonder the US sends them so much money, "like" they are the godfather.

1. James12345

Re: I'm learning

Yes, it really does seem that many have a problem with Jews who don't agree, and cooperate, with the people who think they have a god given right to kill as many Jews as possible.

Calling out a nation state for it's action (or lack of in this case) is far, far different than calling out an entire religion. But of course, anyone calling out Israel always seem to be accused of being anti-semitic,

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Certain people who call out Israel tend to do so from anti-Semitic angles. Many, many critics of Israel (vast majority in fact) do not receive the anti-Semite tag, so maybe you should work on figuring out why you're an anti-Semite rather than throwing up your hands and claiming it's impossible not to be one.

Given that in an earlier posting you suggested that blowing up children just for being Jewish is defensible as "freedom fighting" I think you might have a lot to work on.

"Certain people who call out Israel tend to do so from anti-Semitic angles.

Of course that happens. I never said it doesn't. Often it's for real too.

"Many, many critics of Israel (vast majority in fact) do not receive the anti-Semite tag,

I'd not go so far as to say "vast majority"

so maybe you should work on figuring out why you're an anti-Semite rather than throwing up your hands and claiming it's impossible not to be one.

How did you arrive at that conclusion from what I said? That sounds rather like you dived into this comment with some defensive pre-conceived notions.

"Given that in an earlier posting you suggested that blowing up children just for being Jewish is defensible as "freedom fighting" I think you might have a lot to work on

I did nothing of the sort.

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

The only preconceived notion I have is that when everyone else is the asshole, sometimes you're the asshole. If every time you talk about Israel you're called an anti-Semite, maybe some self-reflection is in order. Your answers above unfortunately don't lead me to believe that's within your skillset.

The only poster I can see calling someone an anti-Semite is you - an AC.

I see no evidence to support your claim.

You may have started off with good intentions, but mayhap gone a bit wobbly.

Perhaps a stint in a nice cupboard in Hans Crescent would help.

1. Anonymous Coward
                  Anonymous Coward

It was his own statement that he hasn't ever been able to discuss Israel without being called an anti-Semite, not mine. In fact I never called him that at all. Try reading before grandstanding friend.

2. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

"If every time you talk about Israel you're called an anti-Semite,"

I never said said. You are either lacking in comprehension skills or just making stuff up to defend your position.

2. Ace2 Silver badge

I’ve never been totally clear on why Palestinians are so terrible, but Israelis are our BFFs.

/s

1. Snake Silver badge

Re: never totally clear

No /s necessary. I waited to post regarding this topic as I'll likely get attacked, but we all know the history of how Israel was founded. Yet the indigenous peoples of the area [are] supposed to be happy that their historic lands were sliced off, and just sit there and say "Thank you Sir, can I have another?!".

And then we, the rest of us that is, are supposed to accept the belief that a 2-nation system for the area, one that give those previously-mentioned indigenous peoples back some of their autonomy, is a terrible, terrible idea.

While the nation granted the land expands the "grant" at their will. Because they need to "make sure [their lifestyle] is never threatened again".

While they do onto others the equivalent of what they are very actively trying to prevent happen to themselves.

These are my thoughts. You are not obligated to respect or honor them in any way at all.

1. James12345
          Facepalm

This is probably going to be too long for you to read, but here goes.

"Yet the indigenous peoples of the area [are] supposed to be happy that their historic lands were sliced off, and just sit there and say "Thank you Sir, can I have another?!"." - no, they didn't and that is why the indigenous Jews fought against the invading Arab armies, and fortunately won. There is now one tiny state in the mid-east that protects its Jewish, Christian, Moslem, and citizens of any religion. It has to win every war it gets dragged into, because the first time it loses is when you will witness what genocide and ethnic cleaning really look like.

You may just not know about the real, actual ethnic cleansing that happened in the Arab world, or you may just think the people who were ethnically cleansed deserved it, but the one positive thing that came out of it is that those people who made it out alive are now safe. The negative is that those countries that killed or threw out their Jews are basket cases and will remain so for a long, long time.

Many more Palestinians have been killed by the Jordanians, Syrians and Lebanese than have been killed by Israelis. But the world only gets worried about the Palestinians when Jews can be purported to be at blame.

If you really believe "While they do onto others the equivalent of what they are very actively trying to prevent happen to themselves." is actually the case, you have no idea what is actually happening, and should really educate yourself.

Most of the mid-east was "granted" to the various governments in the region from the remains of the Ottoman Empire. Syria expanded its "grant" at will by effectively taking over Lebanon. Iran in turn has moved in by effectively taking over control of Syria. Jordan expanded its "grant" by invading Judea and Samaria between 1948 and 1967. Likewise, Egypt expanded it's "grant" by invading Gaza. Oddly enough, the PLO charter didn't call for a Palestinian homeland in Jordanian controlled Judea and Samaria, or in Gaza, but instead only lays claim to the land controlled by Israel.

I'm sorry to break it to you, but the actual facts don't support your positions, so it's a good job you don't expect anyone to be "obligated to respect or honor them in any way at all".

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"but we all know the history of how Israel was founded"

Actually it's fairly clear you don't.

1. Snake Silver badge

Re: As if I don't know history

Let's quote Wiki here:

"Once the British agreed to supply arms and form a Jewish Brigade in 1944, Yishuv Jews officially entered the conflict on the side of the allies. At the end of the war, amidst growing tensions with the conflict-weary British, the United Nations (UN), eager to appease both Arab and Jewish factions, adopted a Partition Plan for Palestine in 1947 recommending the creation of independent Arab and Jewish states, and an internationalized Jerusalem.[41] The plan was accepted by the Jewish Agency but rejected by Arab leaders.[42][43][44] The following year, the Jewish Agency declared the independence of the State of Israel, and the subsequent 1948 Arab–Israeli War saw Israel establishment over most of the former Mandate territory, while the West Bank and Gaza were held by neighboring Arab states."

After World War II, the UK found itself facing a Jewish guerrilla campaign over Jewish immigration limits, as well as continued conflict with the Arab community over limit levels. The Haganah joined Irgun and Lehi in an armed struggle against British rule.[167] At the same time, hundreds of thousands of Jewish Holocaust survivors and refugees sought a new life far from their destroyed communities in Europe. The Haganah attempted to bring these refugees to Palestine in a program called Aliyah Bet in which tens of thousands of Jewish refugees attempted to enter Palestine by ship. Most of the ships were intercepted by the Royal Navy and the refugees rounded up and placed in detention camps in Atlit and Cyprus by the British.[168][169]

On 22 July 1946, Irgun attacked the British administrative headquarters for Palestine, which was housed in the southern wing[170] of the King David Hotel in Jerusalem.[171][172][173] A total of 91 people of various nationalities were killed and 46 were injured.[174] The hotel was the site of the Secretariat of the Government of Palestine and the Headquarters of the British Armed Forces in Mandatory Palestine and Transjordan.[174][175] The attack initially had the approval of the Haganah. It was conceived as a response to Operation Agatha (a series of widespread raids, including one on the Jewish Agency, conducted by the British authorities) and was the deadliest directed at the British during the Mandate era.[174][175] The Jewish insurgency continued throughout the rest of 1946 and 1947 despite concerted efforts by the British military and Palestine Police Force to suppress it. British efforts to mediate a negotiated solution with Jewish and Arab representatives also failed as the Jews were unwilling to accept any solution that did not involve a Jewish state and suggested a partition of Palestine into Jewish and Arab states, while the Arabs were adamant that a Jewish state in any part of Palestine was unacceptable and that the only solution was a unified Palestine under Arab rule. In February 1947, the British referred the Palestine issue to the newly formed United Nations. On 15 May 1947, the General Assembly of the United Nations resolved that the United Nations Special Committee on Palestine be created "to prepare for consideration at the next regular session of the Assembly a report on the question of Palestine."[176] In the Report of the Committee dated 3 September 1947 to the General Assembly,[177] the majority of the Committee in Chapter VI proposed a plan to replace the British Mandate with "an independent Arab State, an independent Jewish State, and the City of Jerusalem [...] the last to be under an International Trusteeship System."[178] Meanwhile, the Jewish insurgency continued and peaked in July 1947, with a series of widespread guerrilla raids culminating in the sergeants affair. After three Irgun fighters had been sentenced to death for their role in the Acre Prison break, a May 1947 Irgun raid on Acre Prison in which 27 Irgun and Lehi militants were freed, the Irgun captured two British sergeants and held them hostage, threatening to kill them if the three men were executed. When the British carried out the executions, the Irgun responded by killing the two hostages and hanged their bodies from eucalyptus trees, booby-trapping one of them with a mine which injured a British officer as he cut the body down. The hangings caused widespread outrage in Britain and were a major factor in the consensus forming in Britain that it was time to evacuate Palestine.

In September 1947, the British cabinet decided that the Mandate was no longer tenable, and to evacuate Palestine. According to Colonial Secretary Arthur Creech Jones, four major factors led to the decision to evacuate Palestine: the inflexibility of Jewish and Arab negotiators who were unwilling to compromise on their core positions over the question of a Jewish state in Palestine, the economic pressure that stationing a large garrison in Palestine to deal with the Jewish insurgency and the possibility of a wider Jewish rebellion and the possibility of an Arab rebellion put on a British economy already strained by World War II, the "deadly blow to British patience and pride" caused by the hangings of the sergeants, and the mounting criticism the government faced in failing to find a new policy for Palestine in place of the White Paper of 1939.[179]

On 29 November 1947, the General Assembly adopted Resolution 181 (II) recommending the adoption and implementation of the Plan of Partition with Economic Union.[41] The plan attached to the resolution was essentially that proposed by the majority of the Committee in the report of 3 September. The Jewish Agency, which was the recognized representative of the Jewish community, accepted the plan.[43][44] The Arab League and Arab Higher Committee of Palestine rejected it, and indicated that they would reject any other plan of partition.[42][180] On the following day, 1 December 1947, the Arab Higher Committee proclaimed a three-day strike, and riots broke out in Jerusalem.[181] The situation spiralled into a civil war; just two weeks after the UN vote, Colonial Secretary Arthur Creech Jones announced that the British Mandate would end on 15 May 1948, at which point the British would evacuate. As Arab militias and gangs attacked Jewish areas, they were faced mainly by the Haganah, as well as the smaller Irgun and Lehi. In April 1948, the Haganah moved onto the offensive.[182][183] During this period 250,000 Palestinian Arabs fled or were expelled, due to a number of factors"

"On 14 May 1948, the day before the expiration of the British Mandate, David Ben-Gurion, the head of the Jewish Agency, declared "the establishment of a Jewish state in Eretz-Israel, to be known as the State of Israel."[45][185] The only reference in the text of the Declaration to the borders of the new state is the use of the term Eretz-Israel ("Land of Israel").[186] The following day, the armies of four Arab countries—Egypt, Syria, Transjordan and Iraq—entered what had been British Mandatory Palestine, launching the 1948 Arab–Israeli War;[187][188] contingents from Yemen, Morocco, Saudi Arabia and Sudan joined the war.[189][190] The apparent purpose of the invasion was to prevent the establishment of the Jewish state at inception, and some Arab leaders talked about driving the Jews into the sea.[191][44][192] According to Benny Morris, Jews felt that the invading Arab armies aimed to slaughter the Jews.[193] The Arab league stated that the invasion was to restore law and order and to prevent further bloodshed.

After a year of fighting, a ceasefire was declared and temporary borders, known as the Green Line, were established.[195] Jordan annexed what became known as the West Bank, including East Jerusalem, and Egypt occupied the Gaza Strip. The UN estimated that more than 700,000 Palestinians were expelled by or fled from advancing Israeli forces during the conflict—what would become known in Arabic as the Nakba ("catastrophe").[196] Some 156,000 remained and became Arab citizens of Israel."

Etc etc etc

Apparently YOU have no clue. Please be quiet until you get one. The UN tried to establish a "Jewish State", using Arab lands and directly against the wishes of the historic land owners themselves. The Jews didn't care, and created a state using their own methods and with support of Western Allies through grief of the remnants of WWII.

And we've all been living under that guise ever since.

Everyone talks about Jewish rights, whilst Palestinian rights only gets mentioned in Arabic states while simultaneously dismissed in Western cultures, mostly the very same ones that provide economic and military support for Israel.

There is nothing at all balanced about the entire situation.

1. Arthur 1

Re: As if I don't know history

Well done doubling down on the fact that you have no clue what the history is. Not just that but you also went right to red in the face ad hominem and racist dog whistles, truly an exemplar of humanity. First you call the Palestinians "indigenous people" then you claim the conflict starts after WWII.

Let's just totally ignore that the Jews who were the actual indigenous people of the area were run out of the area by an attempted genocide not that long before that. Totally irrelevant details. So to extend you analogy, you're firmly on the side of the colonialists. Seems about right.

My new favourite claim of yours is that Jewish rights are a big concern in Arabic states though. Truly the cherry lol.

So perhaps it's you who should stop confusing the ability to copy and paste an infinite length of text with knowing something.

7. poohbear

Country of origin

This would have been written differently if that outfit was in Russia.

1. elsergiovolador Silver badge

Re: Country of origin

And probably not written at all if that outfit was in the UK.

2. Version 1.0 Silver badge

So if you have a job with your government creating and installing spyware ... I wonder what happens if you have a friend who writes malware and offers you 10 bitcoin for a copy of the undetected intrusion?

1. doublelayer Silver badge

If you get found out, that's a serious crime and you go to the prison the government concerned thinks you'll dislike the most as an example to the others doing it. In reality, you get ten bitcoin. A zero day is a zero day because nobody's got good information about who knows about it, so it's easy to tell someone about it without generating proof that you did so. Not only could they have found out about it themselves, but it will take long enough for someone to find out that they have it that, when that does happen, the exploit isn't useful anymore.

Laundering the crypto without getting found out and landing in the first sentence is an exercise for people who like committing crimes.

2. elsergiovolador Silver badge

I wonder what happens if you have a friend who writes malware and offers you 10 bitcoin for a copy of the undetected intrusion?

You say you'll think about it and then report the offer to your superior...

8. Tron Silver badge

If it doesn't work any more...

...GCHQ will want their money back. Enterprise licences aren't cheap.

9. JimmyPage Silver badge

Devils tongue

Now why can't they write useful programs that well ?

1. Nunyabiznes

Re: Devils tongue

Upvote, but to be fair it IS a pretty useful program to certain entities.

And I'm sure it pays better than being a white hat, reporting vulns and then getting stiffed on the bounty.

1. elsergiovolador Silver badge

Re: Devils tongue

And I'm sure it pays better than being a white hat, reporting vulns and then getting stiffed on the bounty.

I wonder if this is on purpose so that governments don't lose their backdoors...

10. Lorribot

"Facebook is suing the NSO Group, accusing it of unlawfully compromising users' phones to snoop on them via a security hole in WhatsApp."

Sorry facebook, you wrote dodgy code and you can't side step responsibility by suing a bunch of hackers.

Grow up and do a proper job and be nice to everyone not just yourselves and your investors and do things properly..

1. doublelayer Silver badge

That's not how that works. They need to fix the code, but using a security hole is still illegal. Failing to lock your door means you're more likely to have your stuff stolen and you shouldn't do it, but it's still robbery if it happens. Facebook's failure to produce entirely bugproof software doesn't in any way justify the malicious use of those bugs.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Meh. Israel is basically America's skunkworks where all the questionable and/or illegal-by-American-law work gets done. Why do you think they're so buddy-buddy and so many billions have flown Israel's way over the years?

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Americans are really into humous

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Scott McNealy seems to have got it right....and in 1999 too!

'Quote: "....If you want a target's Signal messages...."

Whoa!!! What was that about Signal using "end-to-end encryption"........impervious to snoops......

Quote: "...'I use Signal every day.' Edward Snowden Whistleblower and privacy advocate. 'I trust Signal because it's well built ...' "

Link(1999): https://www.wired.com/1999/01/sun-on-privacy-get-over-it/

1. Arthur 1

Re: Scott McNealy seems to have got it right....and in 1999 too!

Signal can protect you against a lot of stuff, but malware running in your own user context is not one of those things. If you can see it so can the malware. Snowden was talking about things like interception and future forensics, a rooted phone can't be secure no matter what it runs once you unlock it to use it.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Until now I doubted Palantir would ever be beaten for choosing a name that so obviously telegraphs evil - a fictional device used for spying on people from afar and turning people into traitors.

Now I learn that the candiru is a fish reputed to swim up your member, lodge itself there with barbs and eat you out from the inside, requiring amputation of the afflicted part. Sweet.

Maybe I should buy some shares and wait for the inevitable $18bn IPO…

14. Pascal Monett Silver badge
    Thumb Down

I wanted to check out the details of those vulns

Borkzilla's reports are useless.

You get a bunch of metrics, but zero explanation on what the exploit does.

It's been patched, can't we get some functional details ?

1. Arthur 1

Re: I wanted to check out the details of those vulns

I don't know what a borkzilla is but the Citizen Lab report that's the first link in the article was fairly in depth and they generally do excellent work. Certainly no reason to be trashing them and making up stupid names.

2. BobDobalina242
      Facepalm

Re: I wanted to check out the details of those vulns

It's been patched but MS announced Friday that it doesn't address DevilsTongue and that everyone still needs to just disable Print Spooler.

MS also included this awesome line in the CVE: The vulnerable system can be exploited without any interaction from any user.

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

politicians, activists, journalists, academics, embassy, dissidents

The only advice I can offer to members of the groups mentioned? Don't use computers or smartphones.

16. JWLong

Don't Worry

There's hundreds of zero day hacks yet to be used.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like