back to article This page has been deliberately left blank

This article was withdrawn after falling short of our publishing and editorial standards. We regret the error. Arthur the vulture. Pic: Birds of Prey Displays

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Britney Spears is a good local girl

I live in this area, both Mississippi and Louisiana, Britney's problems are seen pretty much everywhere around here, she's been treated very badly but unfortunately that's normal here ... if you've got a talented kid then people just want to get rich off them.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Britney Spears is a good local girl

As someone who used to work for a Trust services company, with clients that would leave large inheritances to their kids, I'd caution people not to assume Britney is being treated badly and her money is being "stolen" by her dad. It's very possible that's the case, but it's also possible the Trust is acting responsibly and protecting her assets as Trusts are required to do. Having her father in the middle of everythign sure complicates matters, but some of things I saw when I was working at the Trust reinforced every stereotype you might have about trust fund babies, hookers and blow - you name it. And it isn't always the kids themselves that are the problem. They get "hangers-on" that know about the trust and do their best to get their hooks into the money too. Trust companies provide an extremely valuable service for clients that cannot properly protect their own assets, and I'm surprised at how quckily everyone is jumping on the "free Britney" movement without having any knowledge of the work the Trust has done or the preventative measures that may have already been taken to protect her from herself and others around her. This is one case where I actually trust the courts to be looking at the facts and making reasonable judgements based on information you and I will never know.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Ms Spears doesn't have a regular "trust" that has somebody managing her money. She apparently has the same kind of guardianship usually reserved for minors or adults who have totally lost their mental abilities and can't manage day-to-day living.

1. gandalfcn Silver badge

Well she is a loony drug addict and alcoholic.

1. Mark Exclamation

Obviously you've spent a lot of time with her to get to know her well enough to make such an assertive comment.

2. a_j_b

Accepting as possible Britney is being treated badly is precisely why the movement for a change in conservatorship is afoot. If Papa hasn’t made his bones by now, he’ll just need to make do. Clinging to control over children makes them chattel, plan and simple: the myriad isms at play make no more difference to jurisprudence. In any event, I hope she has a good lawyer.

1. YetAnotherLocksmith Silver badge

At least, after literally decades, she actually has a lawyer now! One that she has picked and that is working for her, not for <drum roll> the Trust!

The main issue is, there was no-one looking out for her, as even her lawyer was controlled by her trust, controlled by her dad. So the person meant to push back against everything her dad wanted, was working for her dad. How that was allowed, I can only assume it was large sums of money, really...

2. a_yank_lurker

I have wondered about the Spears clan (I live a couple of states due east) for quite some time. It appears they are trying to make sure they get their 'fair share' of Britney's money because they are a relative. A situation that is more common in the entertainment industry were the family wants to leach off their more successful relative.

1. gandalfcn Silver badge

Only in "Murica.

3. Steve Button Silver badge

PRETTY SURE THIS IS A SCAM

Went to buy one (£3.99 why not. It's ironic. Isn't it Alannis?)

They don't seem to have any way to buy them. They don't exist.

4. gandalfcn Silver badge

" if you've got a talented kid " You mean a Disney creation that iked flashing he ladybits to all and sundry as often as possible. An alcoholic drug addict to boot.

Britney's problems are - see above.

2. Potemkine! Silver badge

a strong Breton nationalist movement

Hmmm... At the last election a few weeks ago, the "Breton Party' got less than 1,55% of the votes in Brittany . It doesn't seem to be that strong, does it?

I guess that most people who will buy this t-shirt know next to nothing about History, but Breton nationalists discredited themselves with their collusion with Nazis. Something that should be forgotten in a few years, seen the desperate level of knowledge of young and less-young people regarding History.

1. iron Silver badge

And much of the UK establishment thought Mr Hitler was a jolly nice chap with some good ideas.

In a few years will be over 80 years since the war ended and those colluders are either dead or incapable of influencing Bretonian politics. So what is your point?

1. Potemkine! Silver badge

And much of the UK establishment thought Mr Hitler was a jolly nice chap with some good ideas.

So sad they hadn't to face a court for treason for that.

So what is your point?

Breton Nationalism was, and still is tainted with far-right extremism. They play the 'us vs them' song, 'Brittany for Bretons'/. There are a also the far-left extremists kind, who are keen to terrorists actions.

I'm all in favor of preserving regional cultures, but when it borders to xenophobia or terrorism, this is not acceptable to me.

These guys have no real public support. As I said, their results in elections are pitiful. Would there be a democratic and human-rights abiding majority for independence, I would say farewell to Brittany without any problem.

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Isn't all Nationalism tinted with xenophobia ?

It isn't like Yorkshire would split from the UK due to wanting fraternal bonds of love and understanding between all peoples. It's because we are a natural master race that are superior to southerners and Lancastrians - we are just too reserved to ever mention it.

1. Paul Herber Silver badge

You are just cowed by your true overlords to the north, Judith of Durham and her mate, Geordie Girl. Xenophobes have their own anthem - World of our Own.

I don't think white walkers count

1. Anonymous Coward
                Anonymous Coward

Sure they do:

https://www.france24.com/en/20190316-nigel-farage-400-km-pro-brexit-march-sets-sunderland-london

2. Rol

At least Lancastrian's are more respectful to tea, and would never stoop so low as to "mash it"

And if Yorkshire ever tried kicking off in Lancashire again, well...be warned, the ancient art of ecky thump, is now a compulsory module in schools, and we'll defend ourselves to the last black pudding.

3. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Yeah, whatever..

Lancastrians don't care what you think.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

love all around

> And much of the UK establishment thought Mr Hitler was a jolly nice chap with some good ideas.

And Mr Hitler felt the exact same way about the UK establishment, he loved the German Royalty "House of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha" (who rebranded to "House of Windsor" in 1917 after WWI to sound much less Germanic). And he especially loved the British establishments invention of concentration camps using in the Second Boer War (1899–1902), so much so that he copied that idea.

And you know what they say “Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery that mediocrity can pay to greatness.” ― Oscar Wilde

Oh and do not forget Godwin's law!

2. disgruntled yank

collusion

Collusion with the Nazis was bad behavior indeed. But how did this distinguish the Breton nationalists from the Vichy regime, the police in occupied France, etc.?

1. Potemkine! Silver badge

Re: collusion

how did this distinguish the Breton nationalists from the Vichy regime

That's the point, they didn't.

the police in occupied France

A part of it was really despicable, if not the greater part. Having the Parisian police be decorated from the Legion d'Honneur after WWII is a big shame, just a way to hide its atrocious behaviour during the occupation. But you can also find policemen which were really admirable as Léo Hamard , I guess they are more an exception.

Many policemen, most of the judges and prosecutors should have been revoked in 1944.

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

It's a bit of a tough one in some respects, especially for the normal everyday folk. France had officially surrendered at that point. I'd not be surprised to find that most of the "on the ground" Police were told either stay in your job or the Germans bring in their own people. A choice between the Devil and the deep blue sea.

2. MiguelC Silver badge

Re: Many policemen, most of the judges and prosecutors should have been revoked in 1944

You know a place where it was tried and went really well (/s)? In 2003's Iraq, after Saddam was overthrown and the new US-supported government decided to exclude every ex Ba'ath party member from any public service employment. Not only did those services lose most qualified people (as it was almost de rigueur that you should be a Ba'ath member to work in public service) but many of those excluded turned to crime and insurgency, with a profound impact on the country's security situation and economic outlook.

Research "de-Ba'athification" for some more, if you'd like.

Re: Many policemen, most of the judges and prosecutors should have been revoked in 1944

Even more ironically we had been supporting Ba'ath for years because they were anti-Iranian. We then only hire people who are anti-Ba'ath and it turns out that they are all pro-Iran

2. Rol

The alternative for Britain post WWII, was to retain the services of the invading Japanese soldiers across a swathe of Asia to maintain some semblance of control in the region.

3. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

France has a massive national myth regarding the Nazi occupation. Hitler decreed that the French be well treated after their defeat in 1940. This was to reduce the resources needed to occupy the country, freeing them up for further invasions elsewhere, and to get a stable French economy to supplement the German one. As a result, the French did very well economically in both occupied and Vichy France.

In reality the resistance was very small - De Gaulle wryly noted that if all the people who post war claimed to have been active in it really were, then the Nazis would have found the country ungovernable. So to restore French pride, very little was done to punish the massive collaboration once Petain and a handful of others had been scapegoated for the defeat in 1940. The myth of the resistance and role of Free French forces was built up, and France continues to be a hotbed of fascism (see Le Pen).

3. Mage Silver badge
      Coat

Collusion with Nazis

A large part of France colluded and helped ship Jewish people to camps.

A large part of the UK Elite wanted to collude with the Nazis.

Italian, Spanish and Irish people colluded with the Nazis.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Collusion with Nazis

The Dutch, like the French, have managed to ignore the scale of enthusiastic collaboration and support for the Nazis. One of my grandfathers recalled his shock when he found himself fighting Dutch SS units, and this spurred my interest in finding out more. Similar SS formations were raised in many Nazi occupied or allied countries, many of which had large scale fascist organisations ready to side with the Nazis. A lot of this was driven by a belief that Stalin would soon invade Europe, and that fascism was the only alternative to Bolshevism.

Brits also need to be more aware of how strong outfits like the BUF were, with mainstream press cheering them on (the Daily Mail most notably). Fascism was a crisis throughout Europe, and I see terrifying parallels with the populist politics and misinformation of today.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"Brits also need to be more aware of how strong outfits like the BUF were, [...]"

A moot point. When their leader Oswald Mosely ran for MP in Stoke-on-Trent it was an abject failure. Up until then it had looked a strong BUF supporting area - especially with high unemployment. Our neighbour was the local BUF organiser and was eventually interned on the Isle of Man during the war. He was interviewed in a BBC radio documentary a few years ago - and was apparently unrepentant.

It is interesting that after the war the local Salvation Army always requested for him to drive the hired coach for their annual Sunday School seaside trip.

The book about the 1930's "The Dark Valley" (Piers Brendon 2002) shows a mirror to our current social and political world.

Also here is an extract from an academic paper about BUF:

Mosley’s corporate economic programme was reliant on an authoritarian revolution in British government and political practice.

Following the election by legal and constitutional means of the first fascist Parliament the facist leadership principle would apply to the governance of the country in the same way as it applied in the BUF. A General Powers Bill would be passed empowering a fascist executive, consisting of Prime Minister and small cabinet, to govern British affairs by Order. Parliament would meet periodically and be allowed to conduct votes of censure against the executive but debate and the blocking of legislation would be banned along with all opposition parties.

Ring any current bells?

1. Intractable Potsherd

"He was interviewed in a BBC radio documentary a few years ago - and was apparently unrepentant."

If he thought he was right, and could justify it, why should he be repentant (assuming, of course, that he didn't advocate the wholesale murder of people who didn't fit a certain mould)?

" It is interesting that after the war the local Salvation Army always requested for him to drive the hired coach for their annual Sunday School seaside trip."

Political views don't make people untouchable (or shouldn't, in a free society). He might have been a very nice man who drove carefully.

4. a_j_b

I disagree with the downvotes and appreciate this post — F da Nazis #burnTheshirts

It might have been amusing to see the turnaround story, but this glitch doesn’t deserve it.

3. macjules

"We are still very keen to donate some of the proceeds to the cause"

©2021 Jeff Bezos, Bill Gates, Richard Branson et al.

"Charity's fine, subscribe to mine!"

©1964 Lionel Bart

1. elsergiovolador Silver badge

Re: "We are still very keen to donate some of the proceeds to the cause"

Jeff, Bill, Richard's modus operandi:

- pay workers as little as possible

- pay as little tax as you can get away with

- get as much money as you can for yourself

- mount your moral high horse

- throw some spare change at charities, so the peasants can praise you

1. Snowy Silver badge
        Facepalm

-throw some spare change at charities, so the peasants can praise you and not pay tax on it too.

I just think some of it is just a complex way to avoid tax while looking good.

1. Rol

Most organisations in the UK with charitable status, are nothing more than tax fiddles, offering highly paid jobs for the connected and contributing as little as they can get away with to the causes they are supposedly championing.

This archaic tax loophole is predominantly used by the grossly rich, who also happen to have the greatest influence in political circles, and hence will never be reviewed.

One person one vote, is a complete myth in the UK. The bigger your portfolio the greater your power to move everything to your favour, including elected officials. And that just stinks.

2. Whiskers

... standard operating procedure for oligarchs and plutocrats since time immemorial

3. a_j_b

Hate the game, not the player.

The system is ripe for abuse, but that being rife is peoples’ problem and not that of individual persons.

Pass a tax if you will, but vilify at all peril.

1. YetAnotherLocksmith Silver badge

Except just like a game of D&D, the players are also the games master. And they take it in turns. See Boris giving the job of Corruption Manager to another one of the bods from his Etonian days photo!

4. James Hughes 1

Isn't that any public companies modus operandi?

4. Skiron

OK, sort it. Add an 's at the end and use one of the T's to read TORTURE running vertically down.

5. William Towle
    Coat

Oops

*googles for evidence of earlier cockups*

1. Hubert Cumberdale Silver badge

Re: Oops

(I think your joke may have been too subtle for some people, but I've given you an upvote so you know that at least one person got it)

1. Claptrap314 Silver badge

Re: Oops

I don't think it's all that subtle. I'm trying to figure out which way it goes...

6. Rasczak

Only Fools

Can just see this as part of a Only Fools and Horses episode;

Del - I got 10000 t-shirts for that pop star campaign didn't I?

Rodney - Pity she wasn't campaigning for northern French independence though. (Holds up t-shirt with #FreeBrittany)

1. The Oncoming Scorn Silver badge
      Coat

Re: Only Fools

275 Free Nelson Mandela t-shirts.

https://www.facebook.com/OnlyFoolsLines/videos/your-stock-old-junk-same-difference/713969132555128/?extid=SEO----

Icon - Looking for a pony in me pocket.

2. werdsmith Silver badge

Re: Only Fools

Why didn't they have something like "#Bretagne libre" on them?

Do Breton separatists speak English?

7. J27

Why did he even pay for the misprinted shirts? This story doesn't add up. If you request a shirt design you send it over to the manufacturer, recieved a test printing and then confirm the design. If you don't confirm and they print them anyway, you don't pay.

So either this guy is an idiot or his story is suspect.

1. Skiron

I before E after C... sometimes.

He buys redundant stock, so I expect the print run was on sale after a bankrupt Company bailed out. It was all set up ready to run, he just bought it at a cost price.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. gotes

Yeah, I wondered who was at fault here. Was the design specified over the phone and no proof received before printing? (Stupid) or can the guy just not spell?

1. yetanotheraoc Silver badge
        Facepalm

Was inexperienced, now experienced

Our club ordered t-shirts. What the club president didn't realize is the image you provide is not the image they use -- it's only a model, and their artist redraws (actually depends on the production process used) it at scale, including any words. So they sent back the proof image, and he approved it without looking at it carefully enough. Basically he approved it because they "obviously" had used the correct image, even though they hadn't exactly. Of course there was a typo in their version, of the **sponsor's** name! Could it be worse? Oops, indeed.

From the article: specialising in "bankrupt and surplus stock, as well as end of line clearances to individuals and companies of all sizes" ...

And now he knows in more detail one of the ways this surplus stock comes about.

3. Sorry that handle is already taken. Silver badge

Either way it looks like he's a chancer who attempted to ride someone else's back for personal gain until it backfired, so probably deserving of ridicule rather than sympathy.

4. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

Well, TFA says his error so it sounds like he got what he ordered. Should've gone to SpecSavers*.

* Seen at the recent Yorkshire Festival of Motorsport on the back of a half-size model of a camper van which was actually a trailer.

8. Pen-y-gors

Odd

Does 'ordering 10,000 custom printed T-shirts' really count as ""bankrupt and surplus stock, as well as end of line clearances to individuals and companies of all sizes""?

It would make more sense if a printer had accidentally printed the pro-Bretagne T-shirts before realising the cock-up and then offered them cheap to this guy.

9. katrinab Silver badge
    Paris Hilton

I doubt that many Breton nationalists would want their t-shirts printed in English.

The country / region is known as Breizh in their native language and Bretagne in French.

No problem, population of non-Grande Bretagne is about 4.5M

So if only 0.2% of them are Brexit supporting Anglophile separatists he ahs the market sewn up

1. a_j_b

It does seem possible to make a buck here…

2. Arthur the cat Silver badge

I doubt that many Breton nationalists would want their t-shirts printed in English.

Watching TV news these days about protests anywhere in the world, it seems like 50-75% of all banners waved at the TV cameras are written in English whatever the local language.

I assumed they were supplied by CNN

Like who makes all those flammable USA flags in the middle East?

1. yetanotheraoc Silver badge

Obvious

"Like who makes all those flammable USA flags in the middle East?"

Those are made in China, just like the non-flammable ones we can get here in the USA.

2. David 132 Silver badge

it seems like 50-75% of all banners waved at the TV cameras are written in English whatever the local language.

And if you look closely, every banner has the “Socialist Worker” logo printed on it too…

1. Danny 2

@David 132

Nobody likes the SWP, even socialists and workers.

I was at the demo at the Hutton Inquiry when Tony Blair gave evidence, I actually had one of the golden tickets to get in. There was a forest of SWP placards in a pile because nobody wanted one.

At lunch time though, one of my favourite memories of the peace movement. Our ranks were swelled by about a hundred incredibly posh uniformed school children from some Westminster junior school, who all picked up the SWP placards and jumped around screaming, "Hang Tony Blair!"

It was funny because if I'd shouted that then I'd have been arrested, but what could the police do to them? Then they all put back their placards and returned to school, lunchtime revolutionaries.

3. Ken Hagan Gold badge

Sell them to the Japanese. They like their Latin text over there and also they don't like adjacent consonants (like the tn in Britney) so they might actually prefer this version to what was intended.

10. Paul Herber Silver badge

Support the Hayling Island Popular Front !

And the people's front of Hayling Island

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

Splitters!

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Me? I'll support the Sea Front of Hayling Island. They even have a pier!

11. Lord Kipper III

Back in my university days the Athletics Union (for non-UK readers, the umbrella organisation that managed all the university sports clubs) did a fine trade in clothing with the club name printed on the back Cardiff Rugby Club, Cardiff FC, Cardiff Netball etc. One of the departments in my faculty, Mining Engineering and Mineral Exploitation or Minex for short decided they wanted their own customised training tops.

The lovely lady in the Athletics Union asked what they wanted on the back, Minex FC, Minex RFC or whatever? Response was "Just Minex".

Which was exactly what was printed. The tops were very popular with more apparently sold than there were students registered to the department.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

JUSTMINEX - am I missing something ?

1. David 132 Silver badge

Sounds like a glorious case of communication being taken too literally.

Like ELO’s first album. I’ll allow Wikipedia to explain that one:

“…In the United States, the album was released in March 1972 as No Answer, after a misunderstood telephone message made by a United Artists Records executive asking about the album name; the caller, having failed to reach the ELO contact, wrote down "no answer" in his notes, and this was misconstrued to be the name of the album..”

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

I never did confirm whether it was true or just urban legend, but was there not a road sign somewhere in Wales, that translated as " We are out of the office today, but will respond to you in the morning" or similar?

1. Androgynous Cupboard Silver badge

Not heard that one, but I recall seeing photographic evidence on a reputable news site of the Welsh for “translation service not available” printed on a road in yellow paint.

2. Jamie Jones Silver badge
            Happy

Yep, that was in Swansea: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/7702913.stm

To be fair, who thinks it's a good idea to reply with an out-of-office message in Welsh, when they run the translation service ?

Also, remember the Chinese restaurant called "Translate server error" https://boingboing.net/2008/07/15/chinese-restaurant-c.html

2. the spectacularly refined chap

A former colleague and his brother played on the same cricket team when they had custom kit done complete with player's names on the back. To distinguish between the two Elson brothers they requested theirs with the first initial. Unfortunately the spaces were overlooked, so my colleague's shirt was emblazoned with MELSON on the back. His brother had it worse, the printers determined that PELSON was too improbable and "corrected" it. As a result he spent the season in a shirt that read PERSON.

12. Version 1.0 Silver badge

Was it a search engine error?

Maybe a search for the #freebritney movement, but the search engine returned links to ‘#freebrittany’.

13. Danny 2

I want some free Britney

Now that her various 'conservatorships' are being challenged or revoked, could El Reg apply to be her new owner? I mean, you'd have to replace the Paris Hilton icon with a Britney photo but think of the publicity she could bring with her next song about chip shortages from the far east.

14. Sam Therapy
    Happy

A simple enough mistake. I mean, it's not like her name is everywhere, is it?

1. Paul Herber Silver badge

Britney Houston

Great Britney

Britney To The Church On Time

1. Sam Therapy

Well, it was meant as an ironic/sarcastic comment, seeing as you can't turn on the telly, open a paper, view a news site without seeing Ms Spears plastered across it. She's like the proverbial Madwoman's Shite, all over the place.

15. John Brown (no body) Silver badge
    Windows

Justy sell'em anyway

I doubt most of the buyers for this sort of thing will even notice!

Re: Justy sell'em anyway

I doubt anybody in the UK gives a fsck about her corporate issues

2. TheProf
      Thumb Up

You're probably correct.

I read an article a few years back and it said that there were more variations in the spelling of SPEARS than there were with BRITNEY.

Bares (sic) thinking about eh?

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

David Beckham's having made into a tattoo...

16. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

He's lucky it was just some t-shirts...

I've seen several people with tattoos on exposed parts of their bodies with misspelled words or glaring grammatical errors.

1. Skiron

Re: He's lucky it was just some t-shirts...

1979. A retired Matlow who was now a postman. He got a tattoo done in Malta in the 60's when drunk. "Mother and Farter" in a big heart.

1. David 132 Silver badge

Best I ever saw was a (wannabe) US Marine Corps member who was so committed, he got their motto tattooed across the back of his neck in large letters:

“SMEPER FI”

2. Jonathan Richards 1
        Headmaster

*matelot

French word, meaning matelot.

2. Allonymous Coward
      Facepalm

https://www.boredpanda.com/funny-chinese-japanese-tattoo-meaning/

1. Joe W Silver badge

Saw one a few years back on the neck of a girl.

Read "cheap"

Might not have been a mistake...

17. brett_x

I have a friend

I know a guy that bought a domain right as BernIE Sanders mittens thing was exploding. Word has it that he searched for BernY Sanders and the results were satisfactory. So he bought " putABernyOnIt" dot com. Total cost: $20. While he didn't think he'd cash in big, he was hopeful to get a small return. The next day, he woke up slightly hungover and realized his mistake.

If anyone wants to buy a misspelled politician domain, let me know. I can put you in touch with.. um... "him". Word has it that he'll take anything over $20.

1. Skiron

Re: I have a friend

Reminds me many years ago in the 90's. Experts Exchange was once 'expertsexchange.com'. Well, you can image the visitors. After a few months it all changed to 'experts-exchange.com. Ha.

1. The Oncoming Scorn Silver badge
        Paris Hilton

Pen Island - https://www.penisland.net/

Icon.

1. Uncle Slacky Silver badge
          Thumb Up

#susanalbumparty

(party for Susan Boyle's album, of course).

1. katrinab Silver badge
            Gimp

powergenitalia

18. Tron Silver badge

Well, if none of us are busy...

We could all pile in and support the movement, demanding that Brittany be given independence from the Macronic yoke.

Most of Britain will be self-isolating from Covid next week, so why not? I'm not suggesting going the full Taliban or anything, but having 20 million people join the Free Brittany movement would be cool, and this chap could sell his T-shirts. Maybe Britney could do a gig in aid of Brittany for Britain's Free Brittany campaigners. I'm sure Twitter, Instagram and 4chan would be good for a few million more. Maybe a few words of support from Donald.

Down with the ancien regime. Liberté, égalité, fraternité. Macron, your days of dictatorial oppression of the people of Brittany are numbered. The T-shirt has spoken.

1. Skiron

Re: Well, if none of us are busy...

Bring back Henry V

19. Danny 2

Celtic nationalists

Off topic but Celtic FC have just signed a Jewish Israeli player. That will pose a dilemma for their "green brigade" ultras who regularly stage pitch invasions whenever a Jewish Israeli plays.

This will seem alien to any sensible English football fan who only has to cope with common racism, but Glasgow is a religiously sectarian city. Don't go there without a bodyguard and a translator. Celtic fans wave Irish flags, Rangers fans wave English flags, and nary a Saltire is seen. Which was bad enough, but it's the way it's always been.

A couple of decades ago the Celtic fans started flying Palestine flags, so the Rangers fans started flying Israel flags. I was pals with a Palestinian refugee in Glasgow who was utterly appalled by this. "I fled for my life to avoid this shit, and now you are dragging me back into it? Nobody asked me, don't involve me in this idiocy."

Which leads to the old joke. "What religion are ye?" "I'm a Jew." "But are ye a Catholic Jew or a Protestant Jew?"

On the upside we don't have your type of racism here. I worked with an orange bigot when Rangers signed their first black player and I asked him if he had a problem with that. "Not at all. I don't care what colour you are as long as you aren't green."

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Celtic nationalists

Many years ago a colleague from Scotland said he qualified for a chip on each shoulder. One for being from Glasgow - the other for being Jewish. He also reckoned that his local student diet of pies led to a bout of scurvy.

20. gandalfcn Silver badge
    Paris Hilton

Who would have thought it from a loony Briney loving con man.

21. PTW

@gandalfcn

From your incessant ravings about the poor woman it looks to me that you are the one with current mental health issues.

And on that note, would you consider it acceptable to replace "loony" with "paraplegic" in your rants?

22. Tanjailmaltija

Big (Fianna) Fáil!

This topic is closed for new posts.