back to article ZTE Axon 30 Ultra: Strong effort from an entity-lister, but your tiny child hands may struggle

Most phones are compromised in some way, which makes it all too easy to overlook the good bits. An example of this would be the Huawei Mate 40 Pro, which was near perfect, except for the lack of apps. For the ZTE Axon 30 Ultra, the downside is a real ache in the first dorsal interosseous muscle between the thumb and index …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It's a flagship, but it's not priced as such. The base model starts at £649

a different universe, DEFINITELY...

1. Disgusted Of Tunbridge Wells Silver badge

Re: It's a flagship, but it's not priced as such. The base model starts at £649

You're looking at a grand for the latest iPhone. £650 is well below that.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

you're looking at 200K for a lamb, a jag at 80K is positively a BARGAIN!

1. JDPower666

Where are you buying your lambs?!?!

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Based on my experience with ZTE

I would give a wide berth. Android updates rare, if at all.

Then there's the alleged phone home with user's data to worry about.

I am using a Chinese phone - OnePlus - on LineageOS version of Android 11.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

3. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

Hard Nope

ZTE are Chinese and, if that wasn't enough, partially state-owned.

No thanks.

1. Disgusted Of Tunbridge Wells Silver badge

Re: Hard Nope

All Chinese companies are effectively controlled by the state.

1. elsergiovolador Silver badge

Therefore it's okay, comrade.

2. elsergiovolador Silver badge

An inexpensive device filled with sensors created by the communist party, ready to be with you at all times.

What could go wrong.

3. ecofeco Silver badge

The I guess I shouldn't tell you that 85% of every, single, consumer electronics in the world is built by Chinese companies.

4. secondtimeuser

Battery Capacity

Given how big phone batteries commonly are now, when are we going to stop using mAh and just write it as 4.6Ah instead?

1. a pressbutton

Re: Battery Capacity

I call for a new El Reg standard conversion

and propose "No. of Sonic the Hedgehog power ups" per Ah

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Battery Capacity

Marketing?

Because 4,600 sounds so much bigger and better? Like, you know a thousand times better?

5. Anomalous Cowturd
    Holmes

64 MegaPixel lens?

Really?

Didn't this used to be a technical web site? At least Orlowski knew the difference between a lens and a sensor...

While I'm having a moan, in my book, a mid-range phone is priced at £200 - 400. More than that, and it's a premium priced item.

6. Barry Rueger

Chinese Boogyman

What's with all of the "Chinese phone is evil communist and will 'phone home' '" scaremongering? I'm significantly more worried about Facebook and Google than I am about ZTE or Huawei.

For years the Reg comment section has been thankfully free of deranged American right-wing blather, but I fear those days are gone.

What's next? Anti-vax spam shoehorned into every discussion?

1. gv

Re: Chinese Boogyman

The CCP will find it invaluable to know that you are sitting at home reading The Register.

2. elsergiovolador Silver badge

You should find yourself familiar with the history https://encyclopedia.ushmm.org/content/en/article/deceiving-the-public

CPC of course denies running any concentration camps. If you think it is ethical to support this, go ahead and buy Chinese products.

1. doublelayer Silver badge

I don't think the people commenting here are either denying the existence of or condoning China's human rights abuses. What I see them doing is questioning the accuracy of the claims of malware-laden hardware.

In addition, you will find it hard to purchase certain types of devices without paying some company in a country which has a repressive government. That's not an argument for ZTE, and their history of not updating devices and including bloatware on at least some of them means I'm unlikely to buy from them even if they release a phone instead of a window. If you know of a good way to ensure that electronics aren't built in a repressive country, I'm interested. Until then, it's infeasible to blocklist everything from China and still expect to have equipment.

3. Aleph0
      Black Helicopters

Personally I'm not worried about the short-term spying. What I'm thinking about is – given China's aggressive foreign policy of late – if the situation with Taiwan or another of their neighbors degenerates and it comes to an all-out trade war with embargoes (to say nothing of an actual conflict), what's to stop the CCP from ordering all Chinese phone makers to ship a tainted firmware that bricks all phones with the Play Store installed (i.e. all those out of China)? Okay, in such a situation having a new £649 doorstop would be the last of our problems, but it doesn't help either...

That said, I'm not giving Western companies a free pass either, given what's happened post-9/11 where the telcos were basically all eager to help the US govt in the "war on terror".

Some of those companies routinely ship unauditable blobs as firmware updates. In case after some other such event the US govt informally asks companies located there to ship malicious updates, we can perhaps expect Google and Apple to tell them to get stuffed. Qualcomm? Intel? Much less so IMO.

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I believe the anti-Chinese device comments are because there has been several reports of low-end Chinese made cellphones that had pre-installed malware and backdoors and even rootkits over the last few years.

The mobile malware forums at MalwareBytes has many examples:

https://forums.malwarebytes.com/forum/182-mobile-malware-removal-help-support/

I don't believe there has been any verified reports of any ZTE phones being a problem that I'm aware of though.

The whole ZTE and Huawei fears were just political.

7. TheProf
    Unhappy

5Gee

On this test we tried the phone with an assortment of sims from various carriers to see how it performed.

Here is a list of our findings.

EE

O2

Three

Vodafone

Would you settle for a photo of a dog by some bins?

8. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Size matters

At 69.4 mm, my Pixel 4a is about as wide as I want any phone to be. If I need more screen real estate, I can switch to my tablet.

I can appreciate just about everything about the phone but ZTE is just too sketchy on updates.

9. JDPower666
    Facepalm

What the hell is a "64mp lens"???

1. doublelayer Silver badge

It has 64 million points of color on the inside surface to give you a wonderful picture from the equally-sized sensor underneath it. Unfortunately, those points make the lens no longer transparent, but you are guaranteed to get that one nice picture no matter how you point the camera.

I wanted to include a second joke here, so I tried to find a unit whose symbol is P. Do we really not have any scientific units doing so? I thought we had used up most of the Latin letters for that purpose.

10. Joe W Silver badge

Not big...

... if you are trying to land a small plane. Don't get me wrong, I like having a bigger screen, a 7 inch tablet is about perfect for browsing on the couch, but I am really unwilling to buy a phone I cannot put in a normal trouser pocket, or that I have to take out when trying to sit down (otherwise it would bend, or I might lose body parts).

And the price is decidedly not mid range. Yeah, the so called flag ships are even more expensive, I know, but it is still an awful lot of money for a bloody phone that will get dropped within a year and be obsolete after three.Still, it keeps the money in circulation, so I guess that's a good thing?

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The authors mits are rather large

looking at the dimensions of the phone I had expected it to look unwieldy.

Those pics are deceptive.

(Adorable pooch BTW)

12. ecofeco Silver badge

Nope

Edge screens are terrible. It's far too easy to accidentally always click on something you don't want.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like