back to article OpenSearch, the AWS-sponsored Elasticsearch fork, reaches 1.0 milestone

The AWS-sponsored OpenSearch project has released version 1.0 of its Elasticsearch fork, an evolution of its former project Open Distro for Elasticsearch. "OpenSearch is a community-driven, open source search and analytics suite derived from Apache 2.0 licensed Elasticsearch 7.10.2 & Kibana 7.10.2. It consists of a search …

1. ElReg!comments!Pierre

Well, Elasticsearch and Kibana are not exactly stellar when it comes to stability

So an alternative would be at least a testable option in my opinion.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Embrace, Extend,

Extinguish.

3. x 7

But what does it actually do?

But what does it actually do?

And how do I use it?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: But what does it actually do?

It's a full text search engine. The major open source alternative is Solr, which I find easier to setup and use.

1. x 7

Alta Vista's "Search My Computer" could do that twenty years ago...........

2. ElReg!comments!Pierre
      Pint

According to the coloured crayon blurb Elasticsearch and Kibana are "the Google of business monitoring". They work quite well, too. Except when they don't. Cheers !

4. steelpillow Silver badge
    Thumb Up

Can't be bad

A fully open-source search engine sponsored by one of the great dot-com rivals can only be a Good Thing.

At the moment the main coding effort seems to be in cleanup mode, but once that's done we can expect more substantial progress.

Time will tell how many contributors eventually follow the license.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like