back to article You'll never Guess whose data has been nicked as US fashion firm confirms systems breach

Fashion brands Guess and Spread Group have confirmed data breaches in which crooks walked off with US Social Security Numbers (SSNs), contracts, passwords, payment details, and more. The two companies were breached in separate attacks earlier this year, statements released by both confirmed, with a range of personal data …

1. msknight
    Joke

As a fashion company...

...I guess this means that they lost their shirt :-)

On a slightly more serious note, if companies keep giving annual experian membership whenever they get hacked, I'll be paid up for life at this rate.

1. BOFH in Training
      Trollface

Re: As a fashion company...

Maybe it will be an inducement to experian to encourage ransomware to proliferate. Since everytime some company with public data is hacked, they will get lots of business.

1. iron Silver badge

So Experian are behind all the ransomware gangs? Wouldn't surprise me tbh.

2. Ken Moorhouse Silver badge

They need to keep their buttons locked away.

2. Dwarf
    Joke

FCUK

I'd guess that their first response was probably FCUK

Or am I thinking about someone else ?

I'm also wondering how someone can have password hashes from 8 years ago - don't they know about the basics such as rotating credentials and patching systems ?

.. Clearly not.. which is probably a contributing factor for why they are in this mess right now.

3. Missing Semicolon Silver badge
    FAIL

Data breach?

Nothing to see here, carry on.

Seriously. Don't expect either companies' bottom line to be influenced by one iota.

We've not heard the usual BS-bingo yet, but it's coming.

4. Howard Sway Silver badge

The unidentified perpetrators managed to break through the company's high security standards

Our unsinkable ship has currently been repurposed for underwater storage purposes....

5. iron Silver badge

> an organised cyber-attack which was carried out with considerably vicious criminal intent

vicious

adjective

deliberately cruel or violent

So in what way was this "cyber-attack" cruel and violent? Did they somehow rig the servers to explode? Were they particularly nasty to the servers as they transferred data off site? Did they threaten the server's child processes?

1. Alumoi Silver badge

Hey, at least they forgot the state-sposored/backed cyber criminals!

6. edge_e

Well I got something to say

We stole your data today

And it doesn't matter much to me

we got it from spread

Paypal address, bank details? Yes

Left quite a mess, and we robbed guess

7. EricB123 Bronze badge

Is This Even Newsworthy?

"This incident did not have a material impact on our operations or financial results."

Well then, no problem at all. I wonder why The Register even bothered to write about this event.

8. EricB123 Bronze badge

Programming Everywhere Sucks

I had an account at one of the Big Three carriers in the USA for a while. I would pay monthly by phone using my credit card (it was difficult to pay physically at one of the stores because after a big merger they closed the one near me). I would pay $43 each month. I would get a text "Thank you for your payment of $43...". A few minutes later I would get another text "Thank you for your payment of $150 <or some other random amount that would change each month>".

Holy crap! While I was never charged for this second erroneous amount, the very fact that I would get a text like this shows just how poor software that handles our personal information is written. When I cancelled my service the company sent me a <del>worthless</del> survey to ask me why I cancelled their service. I simply wrote "send all your programmers to programming school".

1. logicalextreme

Re: Programming Everywhere Sucks

My usual experience with attempting to send a message like that is that the survey/form is also broken, or emails bounce back. Virgin Media have a spectacularly impossible-to-operate set of bork.

9. YetAnotherJoeBlow

uh ha

"The unidentified perpetrators managed to break through the company's high security standards and access internal data."

Windows 7 firewall & EMET

10. MutantAlgorithm

Why!

Forgive me if I'm missing something but they're a clothing company, what on earth are they doing collecting SSNs and driving licence details!?

11. Santa from Exeter

That's interesting. I got an e-mail from Spreadshirt last night and I was on the brink of treating it as spam.

I haven't heard of them, have no recollection of ever dealing with them, and there is no account for them in my password safe.

Does that mean that they are just plucking e-mails out of the air?

On the vague offchance that I did, unknowingly, buy something from them, I'm not that worried, as any card I had in 2014 is long expired by now and I certainly wouldn't have used a Bank Transfer to a T-Shirt printing firm.

Incidentally, I've just been to their UK website and you can't opt out of data collection, naughty.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like