back to article Paper Tiger Lake? El Reg gets its talons on the first Intel Core i7 Honor MagicBook 14

In November, Huawei bid farewell to Honor, its youth-focused brand that spanned mobile, PC, and wearables. The reason was obvious: American sanctions had devastated the company supply chain and it was unable to effectively target customers outside of China, or produce kit to the same volumes it once did. As an independent …

1. Hairy Spod
    Headmaster

Civ XI !!!!

I'm still playing V.

I didn't bother with VI as I didn't like the look of all the changes, what are all the other versions like?

1. MrBanana
      Coat

Re: Civ XI !!!!

"I didn't bother with VI"

Me neither, I'm emacs guy...

[ let the war begin ]

1. W.S.Gosset
        Coat

M-x M-c vi-mode

2. Sandtitz Silver badge
      Happy

"I'm still playing V."

I'm still trying to conquer the original on the harder levels...

I remember having to wait the for the game to process on my 286 (back then), also the Playstation I version was slow as hell but on a modern computer it is rather quick.

1. demonwarcat

Hopefully by XI all the irritating changes in VI will have been undone. I very quickly gave up on VI

1. Youngone Silver badge

Vanilla Civ VI was a bit meh, it's true, but with the various expansion packs it is a great game now.

You might like to have another crack at it, there will be a sale on Steam any minute now.

2. MutantAlgorithm

Too true, I got VI cheap from Steam a year or two back but very quickly got frustrated and have gone back to the comforting arms of IV.

2. Tom Chiverton 1
    Linux

Well, does it ?

3. elsergiovolador Silver badge

A handler

The article fails to mention that Honor is a Chinese brand and as such is under control of CPC.

I think the review could be much more interesting if covered what kind of telemetry is being sent, what chips are being used and so on.

I would think that it is a bit like buying a communication device from the Soviet Union - probably includes your personal handler that you don't know about :-)

1. doublelayer Silver badge

Re: A handler

There are a lot of Chinese companies making computers and a lot of non-Chinese companies making them in China. While it's theoretically possible that all those people are making compromised kit, you'd expect someone to have found something about it by now. I require more proof when dealing with such an accusation. If you can prove they produced something with a deliberate security flaw before, that would change things. I know of no such proof.

4. Cuddles

svelte aircraft-inspired design

Yes, this flat, grey rectangle certainly does look svelte and aircraft-like compared to all those other flat, grey rectangles.

1. tiggity Silver badge

Re: svelte aircraft-inspired design

I'm happy to have something thicker, if it means more ports, occasionally useful stuff like an optical drive, better battery (preferably easy to remove and replace), better ventilation / cooling. Don't get this mania for the ultra slim... Obviously you don't want something massively heavy but the thinness mania irritates me (same on phones - give me a thicker phone with an easy* to replace battery please FFS)

* and by easy I mean a few seconds (unclip the old one, clip in the new one) - not "easy" in terms of a "solution" that involves faffing around with screwdrivers to remove screws (that always seem to be the one head type you don't have a tool for) and / or heat guns to melt glue etc.

1. llaryllama

There are options for us nerds but have to look a bit harder. I recently got myself a Fujitsu E series lifebook - amazingly still made in Japan. It's a reassuringly thick (but not excessively heavy) black brick. Trapdoor on the bottom for RAM, will eat two 2.5" drives and an SSD, has an old school docking port and full size ethernet plus oodles of USB ports. I paid around US$1200 for it in Taiwan which I think is pretty reasonable for a Japan made i7 laptop with 3 year warranty. I originally wanted a Toughbook but they are way overpriced and screen quality is not great.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

There's a bit missing there - it should probably read "aircraft tray-table inspired design"

5. Brex
    FAIL

Winblows

Still a Windows PC, still CRAP. Do not bother comparing it with MacBooks.

6. Crys

Soldered RAM

No thunderbolt. Meh

1. LovesTha

Re: Soldered RAM

The only strong reason to want Intel right now is thunderbolt. Without it why not be a fast CPU.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like