back to article Giant predatory ancient insects pioneered mobile comms 310,000,000 years ago

Scientists have discovered fossilised insect wings which suggest the flying creatures they belong to may have been communicating 310 million years ago – 50 million years before the first known insect comms. Discovered in Liévin, France, the fossils offer the earliest known evidence of wing-based communication in insects and …

1. spold Silver badge

Limited vocabulary...

>>>

"Whether these communication systems were used to attract sexual partners and/or escape predators remain to be demonstrated,"

<<<

Given they were fossilised, I'm guessing "watch out for that f***ing mud-bank" didn't make the phrase book...

1. unimaginative

Re: Limited vocabulary...

Rather like people on mobile phones too busy swiping to watch out for cars.

Even natural history repeats itself

2. Ken Moorhouse Silver badge

Wings...

Everyone knows they are more economical than arms and legs.

1. Pascal Monett Silver badge

Re: Wings...

Um, I doubt that.

It takes very little energy to stand still. It takes a lot more to hover.

1. Tom 7

Hence the roomba!

2. MrMerrymaker

In what context?

I wouldn't trade the hands on the ends of my arms for wings. I'd be an even worse plumber

1. Andy Non Silver badge
        Coat

Yes, it would make you a fly by night.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

But arms and legs taste better.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

More detail needed

Maybe our resident poster Jake can elucidate upon this topic as 1) he knows everything, 2) it will stop him banging on about IR35, and 3) HE WAS THERE

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: More detail needed

No, he wasn’t. I was there, he was nowhere in sight.

Now get off my lawn.

1. DarkwavePunk

I was there before you. Used to be all fields around 'ere.

1. Kane
          Joke

"I was there before you. Used to be all fields around 'ere."

I remember when it were all lakes of algae round 'ere

2. cookieMonster Silver badge
      Thumb Down

Seriously, you’re bringing Jake into this for what??

I’ve never met the person, don’t know them, but you seem to have a “thing” for Jake. Why the fu$& did you even post that??

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Well, it's good for a cheap laugh..

:)

4. elsergiovolador Silver badge

A blip

This our world, in the grand scheme of things is just a blip.

What is comforting though, is that besides our sandboxed world, nobody else is gathering our personal data. Or do they?

1. Tom 7

Re: A blip

When I'm out walking the dog a large number of insects and plants seem hell bent on collecting my dna.

2. doublelayer Silver badge

Re: A blip

Only if you accept that there is a "the grand scheme of things", whatever that means. In terms of those things we care about, it's not a blip. The planet doesn't care about what we do, but if we lived for a billion years, it wouldn't care either. If we sliced it in half with a laser just because, it wouldn't care. It's not that we're meaningless to things, they just don't have consciousness and don't have the ability to be interested in us.

Everything which does appear to have the ability to be interested doesn't think we're a blip. We humans of course are quite interested in our own actions, animals complex enough to recognize our presence have changed their behavior in response to those actions, organisms which don't have complex behavior have evolved to respond to our actions. If, eons from now, a different life form views the history of our civilization, it may well be a blip to them. It could also end up being wholly unimportant to them. For us, for everything else we know, it's not one.

5. Mike 137 Silver badge

still in use?

"Analysis of the shape and structure of the long-dead creature's wing compared to modern insects suggests that these panels may have allowed T. azari to communicate by reflecting light or producing crackling noises."

It's well known by bee keepers that the sound of a hive is indicative of the condition of the colony - not just health, but also response to invaders and other threats. Given the limited gamut of bee needs for communication, this seems rather similar.

6. JohnBonachon

Nice hypothesis but it's funny how some guys jump from a hypothesis to an axiom (and they claim themselves champions of science).

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Giant predatory insects communicated

Not only did they attack you, they taunted you as well.

“That’s right, run while you can son”

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

So why did they use a herd of worshippers?

The team called the new find Theiatitan Azari, in tribute to Theia, the Greek Titan goddess of light

They kinda gave their alliance away there. Can't have been Brits.

:)

9. xyz Silver badge

Ah...

The Orangosaurus and Vodafoneraptor. Still lumbering about after all those millenials.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

the largest of which had wingspans of more than 33cm

The dinosuars didn't go extinct, they commited suicide because of the god-awful noise

1. normal1

Re: the largest of which had wingspans of more than 33cm

The dinosaurs were "really" killed off by the bug's 5G?

11. Jason Hindle

They sound a bit like

The aliens in the Three Body Problem trilogy. I love it when life imitates art (and science fiction).

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon