back to article Galaxy quest: Yet another sub-£500 phone comes to trouble mobile big dogs in the form of Realme GT 5G

Over the past five years or so, a trend has emerged in the Android space where devices priced towards the middle of the pack have specs that can compete with the most aspirational blowers. The Realme GT, which launched across Europe earlier this month, is a perfect example of this phenomenon. realme GT in racing yellow The …

1. Piro Silver badge

Too big

Yet another phone the size of a small planet. I'm so tired with the lack of choice on the market.

1. elsergiovolador Silver badge

Re: Too big

It's even worse if you want to avoid phones made in certain countries for security reasons.

1. Z3k3

Totally agree, Google data mining/spying on behalf of USA is most despicable.

2. aje21

Asus Zenphone 8 is not too big (and was what finally switched me away from my Lumia 1020, though I cannot understand why a modern phone does not do what the Lumia did out of the box, even if you search for ages for a suitable app - ho hum).

3. Manolo
      Thumb Up

Agree. I want a phone that fits in my trousers, so well under six inch screen. No bloat, so Android One. No slouch, but less than 500 euros. That leaves very little on the market. Settled on the Pixel 4A, not available in this country, so imported from Germany.

4. Z3k3

Actually it's only too big if you have tiny hands.

By commenting "Too big", I can only assume you've not held the Realme GT in your hands.

It is more longer and less wide than standard sized smartphones, making it easier to grip/hold.

1. Cederic Silver badge

It's not the size in the hands that's the issue, it's the inconvenience of needing a handbag to put the thing in.

I go out wearing jeans, a t-shirt and sometimes footwear. I want a phone that I can carry when dressed like that, without using my hands, without adding bags or holsters, along with my wallet, my key case (which includes 8 multi-tools and around a gig of storage in various interfaces), a good pen and my car key.

In other words, not a phone that is 'more longer'.

2. Tom Chiverton 1

Can you replace the skin / launcher ? If so, doesn't matter...

Also, it's huge...

1. Z3k3

It's not huge, it quite long.

3. elsergiovolador Silver badge

Security

Not sure why any security and privacy conscious person would consider owning a Chinese made phone?

The review focuses on bling, but why nobody reviews any telemetry, what's being sent home?

What if CPC orders the company to download everyone's personal data?

1. RockBurner

Re: Security

Is it not the case though that virtually all modern mobile phones are actually produced in China?

(whether they're sold via a non-chinese brand or not).

I'm not that 'up' on the current situation, but what phones aren't manufactured there? I'd wager 99% of the components are anyway.

1. elsergiovolador Silver badge

It's quite difficult to find out these days, but there are modern phones manufactured in Thailand, Taiwan (Asus), Vietnam, South Korea (Samsung), Japan (Sony) (and more).

There are attempts to bring phone manufacturing to the US, for example Librem 5 USA, but they are currently hit by a chip shortage, so you can't really buy it.

1. very angry man

The Chinese are not likely to profit from the data but the murkins will with out a doubt

2. John 110
      Meh

I don't think I do anything that would worry me if the chinese found out, I doubt if they're even interested in me. (or maybe they will be now - shrug)

3. John Miles

If you are truely security conscious - why are you keeping anything important on a phone? Especially as the two major phone OS are from USA companies who can both be required by USA law to provide any data on you.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It's like the PC industry 15 years ago

MORE RAM, MORE processor... "This means the user gets a fluid experience, with apps opening instantaneously, and zero perceptible lag as they go about their daily life." why cos developers are getting shittier, and shittier?

My Palm/HP Pre and Pre3 were perfectly fluid thanks, as was my Lumia 620, they had animations, just not pointless, needless, wanky ones. Or huge bloated PoS apps. /rant

5. Tony W

For how long will it receive updates?

?

And how difficult is it to replace the battery?

I am not prepared to spend hundreds of pounds per year on replacing phones.

1. katrinab Silver badge
      Gimp

Re: For how long will it receive updates?

My iPhone 6+ still gets security updates after almost 7 years, and after a battery replacement, still works fine, though I did pay Apple to replace the battery.

1. Z3k3

Really ?

The Wiki says that's not quite true.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPhone_6

"Apple announced that it will drop support for the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus with the release of iOS 13."

1. katrinab Silver badge

It is still on iOS 12, but iOS 12 is getting security updates, and also got a feature update to support the coronavirus tracking thingy.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: And how difficult is it to replace the battery?

since you can't replace it, I guess it's not difficult at all, no? Just buy a new one, FASTER! BRIGHTER! 28 tabs open fluidly, etc.

3. Naich

I've got a Realme 6 and it's still getting updates after a year. That's more than my previous chinese phone did.

6. Tim 11

sub-£500

doesn't anyone else find it amazing that in these days of ever-cheaper electronics, "sub-£500" is even a thing.

I've never even spent £200 on a phone; anything over that is in the "more money than sense" category.

1. tiggity Silver badge

Re: sub-£500

Yes, nearly all my phones have been "cheap" too (not cheap in my view, but cheap in the world of phones, i.e. sub 150)

(only exception was years back when I used to do some Android dev work & had a google Nexus phone for some dev use - but still had a basic model phone to make sure apps ran on that too)

2. imanidiot Silver badge

I used to be in that category too, but decided to spend bigger on my last upgrade. Problem is there's basically not much left at all that's both cheap, not filled with spyware, bloatware or both and doesn't have a mega-ginourmous fondleslab sized display to make it nearly unpocketable.

1. Zolko Silver badge

Samsung Galaxy 10e : amoled 5.5'' display, 3.5mm Jack, usb C, 72 x 142mm, 128Gb interna storage + SD card...

You can only find it second hand. It' s à pity that they don' t manufacture such phones anymore

3. Danny 14

and with the money saved some weedkiller and a strimmer. thise are some nasty looking flags :)

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I've got a nasty impression that that 500 quid mid-range tag line was a click-bait, we've been had :(

1. Z3k3

I purchased a Realme GT 5G (Yellow) for £324.97p during the June 15th Sale....and it's not huge or big but long and narrower.

It actually fits the hand better.

5. ecofeco Silver badge

Same here. I let the early adopters eat the prices and then get the same performance for less just a few years later.

There's no damn reason for a smart phone to cost $200+ except to fleece the punters.

7. David Roberts

Cameras?

My Realme 5(?) Pro seems to have a telephoto lens, and that was a lot less than 500 notes.

4 lenses on the back.

I've never really bothered to get the hang of all the features, though.

8. Solviva

Looks like your review model has a problem on the top left of the screen, sort of a bunch of dead pixels. Is that a design fault or just a bad batch you received?

1. The Axe

Front camera

1. Solviva

Well that's extremely daft to to remove part of the screen for a camera.

In the (not-so-good) old days you could buy (crappy) LCD monitors with dead pixel guarantees, as in you could swap for a different monitor should you find a dead pixel. Now they guarantee part of your screen will be permanently obscured?

1. imanidiot Silver badge

so called "hole punch" front cameras are pretty standard (that or a "notch") nowadays. It's not "permanently obscured so much as just "permanently a hole in the display in the upper left corner".

Most of the time it's not too annoying or noticeable as most screens nowadays are in such a format that there's black bars obscuring the camera's presence. But sometimes when you have something screen filling it's VERY annoying.

9. low_resolution_foxxes

Xiaomi Poco X3 pro. £180 on Amazon. Surprisingly high spec

Snapdragon 860 7nm, 6GB ram, 128 storage, 2 day battery and 33W charging, includes a phone protector in the box. No 5G though

1. Danny 14

samsung a51 is cheap too, 128gb, sd card slot, few days charge, dual sim and 3.5mm

bootloader can be unlocked and plenty of firmware to flash.

1. low_resolution_foxxes

I won't touch Samsung anymore. around 5 years they fucked me off with the lack of headphone jack, inability to delete Facebook and American apps (no surprise, Samsung are ~50% owned by the US pension funds). Then I had a Samsung tablet that seemed intentionally hobbled/crap.

At least the Chinese don't lie about spying on you. They just tell you they're doing it.

10. Kevin McMurtrie Silver badge

Radio bands

Radio compatibility is a problem on most midrange Chinese phones. They do work outside of China and India but cellular performance is awful.

11. David_Woodhead
    Unhappy

Size? Battery? SD card? Forget it ...

Everything has gone downhill since my Galaxy S4, which I still struggle to keep going as it's the best phone I've ever found.

I shall now return to shaking my fist at clouds.

12. Z3k3

This device, though relatively new has already been knocked off the top spot for best specs to price ratio.

Vivo X60 Pro Plus is the new contender for top spot.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like