back to article UK competition watchdog sniffing around Motorola profits after delay to replace company's Airwave service

The UK's competition regulator is consulting on whether to launch a probe into the supply of emergency services telecoms and data networks that could deliver £1.2bn in excess profit for Motorola from 2020 to 2026. Motorola owns the Airwave mobile radio network, which was first commissioned in 2000 to support the police, …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Well if you'd specified a valid replacement

Then it could have been procured.

Airwave is not a cheap service, but then the radios and radio network are very different from the commercial phone networks, and the importance is also much higher.

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Re: Well if you'd specified a valid replacement

I think the issue they are upset about is more:

You have an expensive system you are paying Company A for and so you get Company B to build a replacement.

Company A immediately buys Company B and somehow the system never materializes, meanwhile Company A ups its fees for supporting the old system.

1. ARGO
        FAIL

If only someone in the CMA had anticipated that might happen before the merger was approved.

Perhaps they would like to employ a few of El Reg's commentards in future?

https://forums.theregister.com/forum/all/2015/12/04/motorola_splashes_817m_on_airwave/

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

It would be like allowing a bus company to get a train franchise and then agree to paying separately for any rail replacement bus service

2. This post has been deleted by its author

3. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Doesn't help that the replacement specified unicorn drawn carriages, and every three months the wheel shape was changed by executive order.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Airwave Car Park

I remember the airwave carpark was full of new premium motors, M3 CSL's, Porsche Carrera's etc etc.

was very envious

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. John Robson Silver badge

Re: Airwave Car Park

And the offices contained some of the best people I’ve ever had the pleasure to work with - technically astute, humble, and friendly.

Of course there were also a couple of people who would cause to me to walk away from basically any future job offer as well.

3. Oh Matron!

To Quote S. R. Haddon

First rule in Government Spending: "Why have one when you can have two at twice the price"

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like