back to article Three-dozen US states plus DC sue Google over Play Store's revenue cut, payment system, and more

As expected, Google is facing a fresh legal assault regarding its Play Store, the 30 per cent cut it took from developers' revenues via the software souk, and other rules and restrictions. In an antitrust lawsuit [PDF] filed in a federal district court in San Francisco on Wednesday, 36 US states and commonwealths, plus …

1. Michael Habel
    WTF?

How is this any different, than say the Apple, Appstore, (Which probably was the pebble, that set off this landslide in the firest place.), or MicroSofts Appstore, which nobody 1) asked for, or 2) bothers to use.

Secondly, Google has a monopoly? COME AGAIN? This crack would be more true of Apple, than the Chocolate Factory. To the best of my knowledg Google provides the SDK / IDE for free, along with a link to Oracles' Java SE, so anyone can just about use these applications in learing to code, after a bad fall from grace in the department of Journalism. these "Apps" can be self hosted, of taken to any nuimber of Third-Party Appstors for people to use, and Google wouldn't see a dime of it.

Why is it that Epic feel entilteld to use the Bus for free, when the rest of use have to stomp up neary 2$ for a short jaunt across Midtown? They clearly want to have the benifit of Google, or Apple's infrastructure, but, they think that this resource should be made free to them?

Why?

1. sabroni Silver badge

re: How is this any different, than say the Apple, Appstore

Android runs on a significant majority of phones. iOS runs only on iphones.

But you can't see why one might attract more monopoly attention than the other?

What is it with useful idiots defending mega corporations against "unfairness".

1. GioCiampa

Re: re: How is this any different, than say the Apple, Appstore

"iOS runs only on iphones"

Making Apple more of a monopoly? At least Android phones have app store options (including, ironically, Amazon).

If this means that all of them have to take a more reasonable cut of revenue - I'm all for it.

2. Michael Habel

But, using your own logic... Would this NOT give Apple 100% of Apple Devices out there? I recall reading somewhwe in that blurb that the likes of Samusung, and Huawei, happen to have their own Stores. Having ownd a few of these Droids myself I can atest to such "Market spaces" appearing like so much bloatwhere on my Mobes. So so much about point Two then.

Do we even want to discuss the multitude of Third-Party sites that host shady *.apks? Or the fact that you can install any ols *.apk you like on 'droid. Yeah call me when I can install the latest Firebadger on my 6th Gen iPod.

Also it might have been pointed out. But, unlike iOS, you can install a number of AOSP builds to your device, on the day after your OEM had decied to forget about its existance. iOS? just turns into some iPad shaped brick.

This is about Epic Games, thinking that the sheat doesnt sthink, and should have a free ride at someone elses expence pure, and simple. As the Twaterati would say you don't like the game? Go build your own platform.

3. iron Silver badge

> What is it with useful idiots defending mega corporations against "unfairness".

That accusation could be levelled at your own arguments for backing Epic games, a company whose bottom line really doesn't need your help.

4. Dinanziame Silver badge
        Alert

Android runs on a significant majority of phones. iOS runs only on iphones.

In the US, the majority of phones are iPhones. If anybody has a monopoly, Apple does.

2. IGotOut Silver badge

Some parts win and lose.

It would be hard to say its a closed system, as its not, but then the parts such as not allowing competing adverts, is clearly an abuse.

Then there is the binary blob. That should be banned out right.

3. Pascal Monett Silver badge

Oh, poor little Google

It just might have to give up on earning 29.94% more than it needs to run its App Store.

How sad.

Now get off your high horse and set your fee at 5% where it belongs, and you'll find that everybody will be happy and you'll still be making much more money than you need.

1. GioCiampa

Re: Oh, poor little Google

Ditto 5% (or maybe 10% if we're being generous) for the others also.

4. tiggity Silver badge

I can understand the Apple case

But not this one, as article says lots of other app stores.

Sideload of an apk directly is easy.

I can see why big companies like Epic want a free ride to maximise profits, but as a lone dev its fine.

Disclosure, many years ago when I did some android work I had apps on play store & the convenience of Google handling payment etc. was great for me as a lone dev as took a lot of hassle away (would not have done a premium monetizable version if had to do payments myself as the (cheap) premium version was just the free version with extra functionality that some people had requested via feedback (feedback via google app store ecosystem) & a nominal price version was more user friendly than adverts)

1. Michael Habel

Re: I can understand the Apple case

Not to mention the ride on their precious backbone. A backbone so precious they had to cull the only single good thing that had ever came to Android. That being Google Play Music. (Virtualy an endless iPod with direct access to their hot-take of a Music ONLY iTunes store. Only for the Factor de la Chocolate to go and, replace it with something thats, not only behind a paywall, but is vastly inferior to boot.

I'm telling you GPM was too good for this World, and it will be missed.

On the bightside my iPod still works...

But, yes do continue to tell me about how the like of Apple, and Google are greedy for wanting a small percentage to cover the whole of the infrastucture thats able to provide as many, or indeed more Apps, for free?

5. Pirate Dave Silver badge
    Pirate

Spoon

I'll see if I can find a spoon tiny enough to hold all the tears I'll shed should Google lose.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like