back to article Amazon Lumberyard is dead, long live the permissively licensed Open 3D Engine

Amazon is abandoning its Lumberyard 3D engine project before it even leaves beta, but in a way that means it could live on for years to come: it's donating it to the newly formed Open 3D Foundation for release and continued development under a permissive open-source licence. Amazon launched Lumberyard in beta five years ago as …

1. Zenubi

Money Vacuum ?

Money Vacuum ? Not so much. It all goes on dev costs, 6 studios now - almost 500 people. Not really a vacuum at all.

1. G40

Re: Money Vacuum ?

As in vacuum cleaner …

2. Plest Silver badge
    FAIL

When Amazon's bravado and arrogance failed them

There was a great doc or vid about Amazon's attemps to get into the gaming market with their ill-fated MMO. Bezos or one of his underlings said that with all the clout Amazon had in the ( then emerging ) cloud market, the retail market, the marketing reach and cash the yhad there is no way they could fail to make waves in gaming circles. They hired the best devs and project managers they could find and the whole thing just fell apart.

It was classic bravado, thinking you can simply throw a load of cash and talented people together in a building and liquid gold would ooze out the door. Liquid something oozed out the project but it wasn't gold in colour!!

1. Michael Habel

Re: When Amazon's bravado and arrogance failed them

Are you sure? Perehaps it was more like a pale amber?

3. John Brown (no body) Silver badge
    Paris Hilton

Online shopping.

So, with all these 3D engines, some free to use, why can't I do my online supermarket shop in a gaming environment where I can push my trolley up and own the aisles browsing for my goods instead of horrible lists in awkward formats surrounded by "other customers also bought...", "other customers also looked at..." and "look at this totally unrelated special offer, 1p off!!!!"

Paris. because she has a questioning icon.

1. Spoonsinger
      Windows

Re: Online shopping.

Mind if people had to virtually fight to get the latest graphics card that might prevent a bit of the scalping, (or at least be entertaining).

Couldn't find the Dale Winton icon, so this should suffice for Bum Fight instead.

2. ecofeco Silver badge

Re: Online shopping.

Retail stores can barely, just barely, keep their inventory somewhat up to date as it is. 3D? Total quantum rocket surgery.

Just use curbside service. It's as close as we can get right now.

4. 89724102172714182892114I7551670349743096734346773478647892349863592355648544996312855148587659264921

...this will be a boon for game dev in schools...

5. Muppet Boss

Windows only

It only runs on Win10 so far, thank you, maybe next time...

6. anonanonanonanonanon

Will Star Citizen switch engine?

Just sell some whales some new ships to fund another switch again I guess

7. morningtea

License agreement?

Can Amazon actually release Lumberyard code under a free license?

I'm sure there's still some Crytek code left in it, wouldn't they get into trouble for publishing that?

1. WonkoTheSane
      Headmaster

Re: License agreement?

IIRC, when Amazon bought CryEngine 3.8 (the basis for Lumberyard), they bought it outright to do with it as they wished.

Crytek were about to launch CryEngine 5 anyway.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like