back to article UK's data watchdog probes use of private email to discuss government business at the Department of Health

The UK's Information Commissioner's Office (ICO) has opened an official inquiry into the misuse of private email accounts at the Department of Health and Social Care (DHSC). The investigation comes amid mounting allegations that senior officials within the department – including former health secretary Matt Hancock who …

1. Roger Kynaston
    Unhappy

open goal I should imagine

Bet there is an email address dhsccontracts@gmail.com

1. Oh Matron!

Re: open goal I should imagine

I don't think hancock was that clever. I'm guessing it was mathancock1@aol.com

1. Ochib

That email address breaks the Scunthrope rule and can't be used on AOL

2. teebie

His full name is Mathaniel

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"Lock Them Up! Lock Them Up ...!"

That's how it goes right?

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Let me give you a preview of the conclusion:

"The minister has been found to be in technical breach of the ministerial code, but the prime minister has accepted their apology and considers the matter closed."

1. Eclectic Man Silver badge

That would certainly be consistent with the British Airways line in https://www.theregister.com/2021/07/06/british_airways_lawsuit_settled/ where they settled for over £30million without admitting liability.

In fact government ministers and others have often been found to have acted unlawfully and not faced any penalties.

Even incompetence doesn't seem to matter. Dido Harding (far too many articles on 'Test and Trace' to provide references) had the support of the PM and is considering applying for the top job at the NHS. Paula Vennells of the Post Office 'Project Horizon' catastrophe doesn't seem to have been held to account for all those innocent people prosecuted for false accounting, fraud etc. So I doubt that Matt Hancock has much to worry about from the ICO.

I do hope that the ICO does prosecute if there is evidence, but, lets face it, when the man who would have allowed the directors of Matrix Churchill to go to prison for selling arms to Iraq when they had been asked to by the Secret Intelligence Service (MI6 in "James Bond' parlance) can be made a life peer and provost of Eton College, it seems unlikely there will be any serious consequences. (William Waldegrave, if you didn't know. He and his colleagues decided to 're-interpret' the rules banning export of arms to Saddam Hussein's Iraq to allow sale ofarms to Iraq, and not tell parliament as 'the rules had not changed, only the interpretation'.)

1. Cynical Pie

they can only prosecute under FOI if there is evidence of information being destroyed to avoid disclosure which is hard to prove.

Anything else is a decision notice. Even then the Govt will just use the Ministerial Veto within FOI that means they dont have to provide the information regardless.

4. cyberdemon Silver badge
    FAIL

Never mind Email

At least that is potentially auditable. But what about "Crony Government by WhatsApp"

5. Mike 137 Silver badge

Nothing more serious?

'In a series of tweets, she said: "Nothing could be more serious than government ministers facing investigation for potentially breaking the law.'

We have a prime minister who, according to Private Eye (1550, 8/07/21) is apparently on record (c. 1990) agreeing to facilitate an assault on a journalist who had (supposedly) annoyed a businessman friend.

6. Chris G

While she's at it

Elizabeth Denham may want to have a look at all ministries and public bodies who currently seem to have a penchant for flinging contracts at companies without following selection rules.

Though she may need a larger staff.

Unhappy

Re: While she's at it

I suspect that may be outside the remit of the ICO, sadly.

1. Chris G

What's the difference?

It is only a case of ensuring that all official business is conducted on secure government channels and not via private email, whatsapp or other media.

If it applies to the health ministry it applies to all the others.

1. Cynical Pie

Thats not in the ICOs remit either.

There remit is to ensure all official Govt business is managed effectively and accessible but its not up to the ICO how that is done

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I wouldn't expect much from any leader at the ICO. There will be one eye on where next to job hop to.

1. Cynical Pie

As she is Canadian I would suspect she will be back in a DP style gig in one of the Provinces there.

Im not sure she is even in the UK at the moment as she has been back in Canada for great swathes of lockdown

3. Kane
      Joke

"Though she may need a larger staff."

Nah, a cricket bat should do it.

7. Throatwarbler Mangrove Silver badge
    Joke

Buttery males!

When your entire government resigns in disgrace, the US has one slightly-used ex-President** to offer you as a replacement.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Buttery males!

The ex-president would be far better than Slow Joe and Heels Up combined.

2. Eclectic Man Silver badge
      Joke

Re: Buttery males!

"the US has one slightly-used ex-President** to offer you as a replacement."

Huh? I thought Nixon died last century:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Nixon

"Richard Milhous Nixon (January 9, 1913 – April 22, 1994)"

8. shawn.grinter

Best Option

Given HMG's record on IT projects I'd say gmail was the most secure method of communication....

Either that or tying a scrap of paper to a brick and chucking it through the ministries window,,,,

Joke

Re: Best Option - Gmail

Actually IBM has a very secure email system:

https://www.theregister.com/2021/06/30/ibm_email_outage/

No one can get access at all

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Err, what's with the "may".

Any use of private emails (or Whatsapp, or any other non-official communication channel) will reduce transparency and confidence. OK, the user may carefully copy every mail to an official account so that there's a record of it - but because that's a manual process you cannot know for certain that every email was included, and you can't know that the emails weren't edited while forwarded, and the headers will be lost (unless you forward as attachment).

As to the "someone contacted me on my personal account - it wasn't my fault" defence - well that's bogus. You simply forward the message to your official account and reply from there - making it very clear that only your official account is to be used for business. Not hard, unless you are totally IT illiterate ... oh, I see the problem now !

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Well hopefully

This will determine once and for all whether or not the ICO is just a Chocolcate Fireguard.

11. Howard Sway Silver badge

This little digital dark age is all very convenient

For a government that seems to operate on the basis of corrupt deals and casual incompetence, it is easy to see the attraction of off-the-record communications, both for avoiding accountability now, and for the impossibility of having the full extent of the awfulness ever exposed in the future.

I doubt that last part will work though, as we appear to be living through a time whose chapter in the history ebooks of the future will simply contain the words "what the hell were we thinking?" in 40 point bold.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like