back to article Boffins decide what world really needs is indestructible robot cockroaches

If there is one thing the world doesn't need, more cockroaches would surely be it. Not so, according to a collaborative group of boffins from China and the University of California at Berkeley, who have pooled their efforts to create a near-indestructible, super-fast, cockroach-sized robot. While some of our readers may now …

1. RockBurner

Presumably this is just a stop-gap until they can control the real thing?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DrHMBletjXg&ab_channel=SkylandMedia

2. Pascal Monett Silver badge

Oh great

You worried about ROTM ?

Now we're one step closer to Screamers.

One thing's for sure : the apocalypse is going to hurt.

3. Omnipresent Bronze badge

dastards

Only a combined effort between California and China could/would derive such an insidious and dastardly plan.

And just like magic, my phone starts pushing roach exterminator articles at me.

1. gandalfcn Silver badge

Re: dastards

Shenzhen meets San Francisco. Whoopppeeee.

2. Blackjack Silver badge

Re: dastards

Maybe you could hire Radioactive hybrid terror pigs to hunt the Chinese Californian Robot Roaches.

4. Eclectic Man Silver badge

Counter-measures

I understand that one of the most effective anti-cockroach devices is a gecko, although I doubt metal ones wold be all that nutritious.

It is all very well being able to survive being stepped on by a trainer clad human, but I bet Tiddles, the family cat and Butch the family boxer dog would deal with it in no time.

1. Joe W Silver badge
      Gimp

Re: Counter-measures

Simples. You need a robotic, neigh-indestructble robo-gecko that eats robo-roaches to power itself and replicate. I mean, what could go wrong?

2. Anonymous Coward
      Mushroom

Nuke them from orbit.

3. gandalfcn Silver badge

Much as I love geckos they are no match for bloody roaches!,

Tiddles would be good for the robot roaches though. evil buggers that the Tiddles ilk are when mummy isn't watching.,

5. Inventor of the Marmite Laser Silver badge

I, for one, welcome our robotic cockroach overlords

6. G R Goslin

Oh, come on now

The device is not withstanding the whole weight of a human. particularly one wearing a soft soled shoe. The stress within the device has to be within the elastic limit of the materials, to avoid damage. Even allowing for the weight of the human taken by the floor adjacent to the device, only a few grammes of the humans weight is taken in deforming the structure of the device, before the device is merely sandwiched between shoe and floor. If the device had been crawling over a matchstick, at the time, the results might have been rather more damaging

1. Cuddles

Re: Oh, come on now

That's the entire point. Wasn't it Aesop who had the thing about bending like the willow rather than standing strong like the oak? The best way to handle large forces usually isn't to try to build something incredibly strong and rigid that can just shrug them off, but rather to build something that somehow flexes or deflects the force so that the actual stresses that need to be coped with are much smaller. A large part of the article is spent explaining why small robots with rigid parts are fragile, but this one that flexes is much more survivable.

So yes, the device absolutely is withstanding the whole weight of a human. It does so by deforming to keep stress on all important parts low, instead of trying to directly support the entire weight with rigid structures.

7. fidodogbreath

"Indestructible" robot roach, meet oxy-acetylene torch.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"Indestructible" robot roach, meet oxy-acetylene torch.

oxy-acetylene torch, meet a 100K strong swarm of "Indestructible" robot roach

1. ThatOne Silver badge
        Devil

Re: "Indestructible" robot roach, meet oxy-acetylene torch.

100K strong swarm of "Indestructible" robot roach, meet the electrified board on the floor which will freeze your piezoelectric bodies in a cramp until I have the time to deal with them in a more permanent way...

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Have you checked your power supplies? WE HAVE, watch this...

1. ThatOne Silver badge

> Have you checked your power supplies?

Not sure what you mean, but something so small and light having to carry it's own power supply can't possibly require much voltage/amperage to work. Meaning that a simple car battery would be able to twist them into a donut for hours.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

this reminds me of a story I read once, Sandworms or something...

Nah, Sandkings, R.R. Martin, that's it!

8. aregross

The Fifth Element?

I'm surprised nobody has brought up The Fifth Element yet, though that one was easily defeated by a shoe....heh

Otherwise yea, Kill them with Fire!

9. shane fitzgerald

Is this to be called a CockRobot?

Just wondering…

Re: Is this to be called a CockRobot?

Norty.

10. Schultz
    Stop

Let's face it...

The resemblance between their piezo-foil and a cockroach is is even less canny than that between me and Arnold Schwarzenegger. No quantity of visual cues (squirreling cockroaches or posing bodybuilders) can overcome that obvious gap in appearance, capabilities, and attractiveness. Terminate that project now!

11. Luggagethecat

And this my friends was the birth of the infamous Rad Roach that tormented vault residents to no end!

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

near-indestructible, super-fast, cockroach-sized robot

with reproductive / replicating capabilities?

Re: near-indestructible, super-fast, cockroach-sized robot

Coming to a house near you soon. The rise of the replicators.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

the ground – is the limit

eavesdropping, spreading disease, micro-explosions to rupture power supplies, not to mention surveillance, assassination, or just boring mass-murder of enemy 'combatants' and collateral damage in their sleep.

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

human species deserves to die

so some brave humans have decided to make it their life goal.

you know, this might actually work. Fuck the climate change, overpopulation / famine / economic collaps / 2 degree temp rise and CO2 emissions, by 2050 we will have wiped ourselves out one way or the other, and the project 'human' will have been shut down, permanently.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: human species deserves to die

and all the robo-roaches of the universe will have farted out a local equivalent of 'told ya!' / 'gimme five!'

15. ICL1900-G3

That's it

I'm moving to 1971. I'll swap the Internet for better music and a more relaxed lifestyle. See ya.

16. Greybeard_ITGuy
    Terminator

Somewhere deep inside SAC-NORAD...

...Skynet smiles

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like