back to article Jeff Bezos names the fourth person for the first New Shepard flight: Wally Funk

Jeff Bezos has upped the ante in the battle of the billionaire bros by handing a seat in the first crewed New Shepard flight to Virgin Galactic customer and member of the Mercury 13, Wally Funk. Funk will be joining the brothers Bezos and the individual that spanked $28m on a seat in the New Shepard capsule on the 20 July …

1. WhereAmI?

I really, really, really want to see her fly both New Shepherd and Virgin Galactic. Such a long, long overdue flight.

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge
      Thumb Up

Although the Mercury 13 did get to fly in the fictional alternative history tv series For All Mankind :-)

2. JimboSmith Silver badge

That was jolly nice of him.

She should never have been denied in the first place though.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Pint

Right on both counts

I don't care which of the mega billionaires did it.

I'm just happy for her. It's long overdue.

3. Neil Barnes Silver badge

About bloody time too!

She's done the training, it's time she got the ride.

Though one does suspect that Bezos' publicity team had a big hand in this offer.

1. Chris G

Re: About bloody time too!

I am certain the offer is more about bearding Branson than giving a well deserved seat to a pioneering woman.

In other news, the other day I came across a pic online of Aleister Crowley, I thought it was a pic of Bezos until I read the caption.

D'you think they could be related?

1. Wellyboot Silver badge
        Mushroom

Yes, that's quite a flight delay.

To really rub it in, they could offer priority bookings to anyone waiting more than 5 years for a VG flight!

icon: Bransons possible reaction...

It's still possible that Branson might launch before Bezos anyway :-)

Has Bezos got a line of prepaid deposit customers lined up too? He may not be able to offer early rides to people in the queue for Branson.

1. Flocke Kroes Silver badge

Bezos said he would not sell tickets until he had a working spaceship. Branson sold hundreds of tickets but I only see 86 on the list.

...and Branson just announced he's going up on July 11th, weather permitting.

1. Wellyboot Silver badge

That strikes me very much as get a passenger into 'space' before B-O actually does get passengers above the Karman line and they come back with much better selfies.

2. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

I'm hoping to see Branson announce he's working on a repair mission for Hubble. That would inspire Bezos & Musk to start in competitions and one of them might get there.

4. TheProf
    Angel

Good for Wally

I'm glad to hear this news. Wally Funk certainly deserves her trip into space.

I recently read the book about her written by a BBC journalist. There was also a radio programme (or it could have been a podcast).

She comes across as a rather eccentric woman. In the past the word 'tomboy' would have described her exactly.

1. chivo243 Silver badge
      Devil

Re: Good for Wally

Totally agree, glad she'e up to the task! However, I gotta say "Nice choice (gesture?) Jeff, but you're still a jerk, I hope history judges you better." Just remember you gotta piss in a bottle in space too! I'll stop now, as I fear this may be to far already!

2. RosslynDad

Re: Good for Wally

Sue Nelson, who I believe is the "BBC Journalist" you refer to has been a trenchant advocate for women in space and raves about Wally. She's going to go nuts on hearing this!

Do yourselves a favour and catch Sue's (and Richard's) monthly "Space Boffins" excellent podcast which covers space from a British perspective.

5. Howard Sway Silver badge

Bezos or Branson?

Actually, George Clinton was the first to take Funk into outer space, in the 1970s, on The Mothership.

Learn about it here

1. jake Silver badge

Re: Bezos or Branson?

Or here.

I could never tell if George and Co. (especially Bootsy) were playing it straight (as they saw it!), or if they were knowingly parodying the genre. Some really good tunes in there, though.

6. elsergiovolador Silver badge

Upgrade the tents

Why won't the mighty Jeff think of the employees living in Chinese tents.

How are they going to feel seeing him going to space, through the holes in their cheap and worn tents?

Why won't Jeff take a space cookie and take a flight on a public bus instead?

Poor Amazon would have money for pay raises and tax?

7. Winkypop Silver badge
    Thumb Up

Up

With this kind of thing!

8. Clunking Fist

Speaking of Amazon

So, did Jeff ever pay over to his drivers, the tips from customers that his App stole?

I'm a bit nervous when billionaire business tycoons also own the biggest media empires.

9. Potemkine! Silver badge

<sarcasm>Oh, Mr. Bezos is such a nice man! What a philanthropist! public.com should make a thousand statues of him</sarcasm>

10. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Spherical Cow Silver badge

Kittens in spaaaace!

That does sound fun.

11. adam 40 Silver badge

She who smelt it dealt it

Is it just me, of is the idea of having a Funk lingering in an enclosed space capsule a bit challenging?

At least they won't be up there for long!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like