back to article Exoskeleton startup wants to slap robot arms on schoolkids

Exoskeleton startup Auxivo is aiming to encourage the next generation of cyborgs with the launch of an educational kit dubbed the EduExo Pro, a complete exoskeleton for one arm. Founded in 2019 as a spin-out from the Rehabilitation Engineering Lab at ETH Zürich, Auxivo's industrial products – the LiftSuit and CarrySuit, with …

1. Steve K
    Coat

Give them big hand!

Well, give them a big hand for this

1. NoneSuch Silver badge
      Thumb Up

Re: Give them big hand!

"I'd buy that for a dollar..."

2. macjules

Don't let Amazon hear this

Last thing we want is children in exosuits being forced into slave labour at Amazon re-education camps distribution centres.

3. elsergiovolador Silver badge

It's okay when robots do it!

The "feelings" module for your robot costs an additional £199.99 + VAT per month.

Instead you can buy a custom made cushion for the hand for only £99.99 and a replaceable blood repellent cover for only £29.99 for a 10-pack.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

A Programming Competition

Be the first to program a robot arm to strangle the wearer.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: A Programming Competition

Given what students normally get up to I'd be more inclined to have some clinics on standby to re-attach the consequences of the one man handshake with maladjusted robotics..

:)

1. Muscleguy

Re: A Programming Competition

As a fairly new School science tech I can confirm that they will do lots of stuff you do not expect. I took apart a keyboard for music and found a pencil had been inserted underneath the keys.

I was in one classroom today and a number of the tables rocked significantly due to one foot being unscrewed a lot. I checked the other classrooms and nothing. One bored teenage boy probably, with his foot to avoid being detected.

5. Chris G
    Trollface

Give us the boy and we'll give you the borg

Exo-skeletons for schoolkids are an excellent idea. With the right AI and full exo-skeletons children can be subtly steered in the right direction, no looking out of the window or daydreaming instead of writing and with a well designed shock system, teachers can admonish children remotely, transhumanism at work!

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

slap robot arms on schoolkids

fight the bullies, yeah! ;)

who will then fight back! Perhaps we should start with issuing teachers with longer rulers?! :D

7. ShadowSystems

Oh I can see it now...

"Honest Mrs. Branson, it's not me!" as the child lowers their arm from having given their teacher TheFinger.

"No ma'am, my dog didn't eat my homework, my RoboArm let the magic smoke escape & set my stuff on fire."

"Johnny! Put Timmy down Right This Instant! It's WRONG to dangle your classmates by their throat for merely offering a different opinion. Set! Him! DOWN!"

What could possibly go wrong?

*Ducks the robo punch from off stage right*

HA! Miss-

*Gets taken down by the robo punch from off stage left*

Owwwwwww...

8. batfink

"Exciting educational experience"

Kids with robot arms. What could possibly go wrong?

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

Re: "Exciting educational experience"

I can't even begin to imagine what the educational experience, beyond possibly wearing one for a day might be. Designing, building, developing etc yes, but why would they then need to buy ready built, fully operational units?

9. RichardBarrell

What's the purpose of these things?

While I get that this one specifically is more or less a dev kit, what's the wider purpose of the exoskeletons Auxivo makes? Are they mainly a (partial) prosthesis thing?

1. jake Silver badge

Re: What's the purpose of these things?

Power amplification. Will eventually allow a single slaveworker to do the work of four or more unassisted slavesworkers. The Unions are going to love 'em.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Howard Wolowitz hands-free

Because science!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tb627xDlqBs

11. steelpillow Silver badge
    Joke

Put me down!

Sorry Miss, what did you say?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like