back to article System76 releases Ubuntu-based Pop!_OS 21.04 with auto-tiling COSMIC desktop

System76 has released Pop!_OS 21.04, based on Ubuntu 21.04 but with a distinctive desktop called COSMIC. Pop!_OS describes itself as "an operating system for STEM and creative professionals." It uses the GNOME desktop but customised as COSMIC – which supposedly stands for Computer Operating System Main Interface Components, …

1. cookieMonster Silver badge
    Linux

Hmmmmmm

Long time Mint user here, and moved to PopOS last week, upgraded today to the new shiney.

It’s different, and a slightly jarring change from Mint, but it’s kinda nice.

I was nudged to try this by a comment from one of our commentards last week on a thread I can’t remember, but was “an OS should be in the background”..... kinda statement.

It struck a chord, I was familiar with the Pop OS minimal approach, so installed it.

Keyboard navigation, f$&@ all eye candy/ distractions and pretty snappy on an old X220.

I might actually like this

1. Youngone Silver badge

Re: Hmmmmmm

I feel like Pop_os! is Ubuntu done properly, without those stupid snaps that work so poorly.

When I need a new laptop I will probably buy one from them too.

1. sad_loser

I bought laptop and desktop together and have not looked back.

It just works and made setting up ML with GPU tensor flow a 3 line job.

Good stable kit with proper support - what’s not to like?

2. ICL1900-G3

Me, too. Replaced Mint on my X1 Carbon, it seems very fast and the battery life is a bit better. Turned tiling off eventually, just couldn't get on with it. I still love Mint and have it on my desktop.

3. atticusedwards

Oh no, I don't like this.

2. batfastad

XFCE

Been using XFCE for years. Will probably continue using XFCE for years. It has a task bar, a "start menu" and a normal usable desktop area. Throw in xbindkeys and my collection of shortcut scripts, there is nothing else I need.

Thankfully there are all those other desktops to keep UI/UX people distracted in 5 year circles of pointless improvement and career-driven-development... stay away from XFCE.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like