back to article Lockdown-induced gadgetry rush sent Dixons Carphone's online sales skywards – and repaid £73m of furlough wages

The boss of Dixons Carphone has delivered a bullish assessment of the UK retailer's performance in a year when online tech sales spiked and revenues from its ebbing mobile business continued to slide. Publishing results [PDF] for the year ended 1 May, Dixons reported that revenues across the group topped out at £10.344bn – up …

1. Korev Silver badge
    Childcatcher

shutter its small standalone Carphone Warehouse UK

What's wrong with the word "shut"?

1. Ken Moorhouse Silver badge

Re: shutter its small standalone Carphone Warehouse UK

That reminds me of a story I was told about the Carphone Warehouse store when it was opposite the North Star pub in Ealing. When they were doing the fitting out of the shop bomb-proof shutters were fitted, which caused eyebrows to be raised about the extravagance at the time. Then, not long afterwards in August 2001 a substantial bomb went off less than 100 metres away.

2. The Mighty Spang

they could put some of that money in customer service

during lockdown i ordered something online. went through paypal, then back through the cretins website, which failed the order.

paypal still had it reserved on my account

no other choice but to phone

hour on hold

didnt get through, paid more to buy it from amazon.

never ever ever ever going to use them again, no matter what the deal. If you cant even get through to spend money with them (or you know have a chatbot or email enquiry), aftersales must be abysmal

3. Allonymous Coward
    Windows

People still buy from Dixons Carphone?

Huh. Who knew.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon