back to article Rural Scotland, Wales to get £1bn from Shared Rural Network pot, promised huge gains in next four... years

Far-flung parts of Scotland and Wales have been promised a major boost in mobile connectivity by 2025, according to a roadmap for the Shared Rural Network that UK government published today. Forecasts released this morning by the Shared Rural Network project claimed that come 2025 - the stated end of the programme (we're not …

1. ARGO

700MHz for 5G?

Should mention that 700MHz can also be used for 4G, and there's a very good chance your current phone already supports it.

2. Danny 2

Pi in the Skye

Devil's Advocate:

It may seem counter-intuitive but bad internet is a boon for rural communities. It inhibits townies relocating or buying second homes, which prices out and relocates young locals. When I lived on Skye I had to drive 35 miles to a laundromat to use an old coin-fed PC with a slow connection on top of a tumble drier that was often on. I'd have to save twenty emails on disk to cut and paste and that was fine by me because I lived somewhere beautiful. Who'd live in London if you could buy a Skye estate with fibre? The Highland Clearances was a national crime, but so would be the reverse.

I asked an ecologist why we shouldn't eliminate midges using science since they do no good and just annoy man and beast. "Oh no, midges play a vital role in the Scottish ecosystem. If it wasn't for midges then we'd be overrun with English tourists."

3. saxicola

For a moment I thought that Scotland were giving Wales rural development money.

Maybe the headline should be "Rural Scotland and Wales..."?

Although the way money is disbursed in the UK, maybe.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like