back to article Fujitsu wins £9m contract hike for Oracle HR system running nearly 3 years late at Northern Ireland Education Authority

Fujitsu has been awarded a £9.2m contract extension by the Northern Ireland Education Authority for changes to the implementation of an Oracle HR and payroll system that is already nearly three years late. The project – first known as the EA Integrated Financial Management Information System, now dubbed EA One Project – began …

1. Potemkine! Silver badge

EA Integrated Financial Management Information System, now dubbed EA One Project

For £200K, I can provide you a new project name. Special discount, add £150K and I also provide an awesome logo

2. Dave 15

More money going abroad

And being wasted. I guess some civil servants have a nice full back pocket though

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: More money going abroad

I think you'll find that Fujitsu UK is a separate company, just sharing the name.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

@a/c

Follow the link. I think you will find it is a division of Fujitsu

https://www.fujitsu.com/uk/

1. TimMaher Silver badge
          Happy

It’s ICL.

FTFY.

1. Admiral Grace Hopper

The bits that make a profit are ICL, the loss-making bits are definitely Fujitsu.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

NI doesn't work like that, the civil service are honest. The local politicians will have filled their boots though.

3. Pascal Monett Silver badge

So many project failures are being rewarded

And it feels like it's always the same names that come back to the trough.

How is it possible ?

1. AndyJF

Re: So many project failures are being rewarded

Did they learn nothing from the Horizon disaster?

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: So many project failures are being rewarded

@Pascal Monett

Probably because those names have the largest slush funds

4. Dale 3

Horizon

I would be nervous about getting my software from Fujitsu, despite their track record of producing perfect bug-free software.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

How hard can it be?

It must be very hard to be the first organisation to put a brand new technology stack in and find all the pitfalls and problems. Oh wait.. what’s that.. e-Biz suite has been around for years with many successful implementations in complex businesses? Why do none of these integrators learn from past successes and failures?

6. Uncle Ron

A Big Kick

I always get a big kick out of all the self-righteous criticism of these public-sector procurements. Private-sector operations have all the same problems and snafus and failures as happen in the public-sector, it just doesn't get in the papers. It's private. Plus, the onerous specification and bidding procedures and low-bid requirements aren't nearly as stupid, inflexible, and self-defeating in the private-sector as they are in public entities. Never, ever forget: It's easy to spec a window air conditioner and take the low bid, with complex integrated IT systems, not so much.

1. Korev Silver badge

Re: A Big Kick

Except when it's public sector then it's the taxpayer who's out of pocket. If it's the private sector that screws up then you always have the choice to move your business elsewhere...

2. czechitout

Re: A Big Kick

Two reasons. Firstly, as above, it is my money the public sector is wasting.

Secondly, when a private sector company implements a new finance, HR or payroll solution it is usually the first time they've implemented that solution and/or paradigm (e.g. on-prem to cloud) it so you'd expect the usual bumps in the road.

The public sector on the other hand have done hundreds, if not thousands of implementations. For example, every council in Britain has their own finance, HR and payroll solutions. Therefore, not only should they be absolute experts in those implementations, they should also have their own off the shelf framework for implementing a public sector payroll solution which can be shared and followed.

Of course, they don't have that because every department, council etc. is its own silo, with no information shared, let alone a central team of "payroll implementers" who can go from project to project bringing best practice and "gotchas" from previous implementations with them.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Facepalm

Lock and Load

Major contracts, public and private, tend to run over budget and take longer because the purchaser is locked into the contractor. Unless one is willing to scrap the sunk cost and start over, you grin and bear it.

As has been said for centuries, "in for a penny, in for a pound."

8. JWLong

Ireland

Take a look at what Fugitsu did to the UK Postal and Police systems.

1. Ken G Silver badge
      Meh

Re: Ireland

This is for Northern Ireland.

1. Korev Silver badge

Re: Ireland

NI also "benefited" from Horzion, for example these two "happy customers".

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Time for Version1 to shine

Version1 have a lot of good people working for them, they've really grown a lot over the past decade. It would be good if they can deliver an efficient service to Northern Ireland Land and Property and maybe shake up Fujitsu a bit (they may be feeling too big to fail at the moment).

I'm going anon because, while I was about to say I never worked for Version1, I realised I worked for a company which they bought last year.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like