back to article We hope this hotel has a nice spa because Windows sure looks like it needs some R&R

Microsoft Windows is notable for its ability to fall over pretty much anywhere, but this is, we think, the first time it has disgraced itself over the side of a hotel. "The 4 star hotel is using a 2 star OS for its signage, it seems," said our reader, who spotted the borkage over the weekend, smeared up against the wall of the …

1. Version 1.0 Silver badge
    Joke

There's a fix for this proble ... gt67 gt~5678u ... Your PC ran into a problem and needs to restart. We're just collecting some error info, and then we'll restart for you.

Oh darn it, my PC crashed as I was posting a comment.

2. Diodelogic

Odd coinky-dink

I got stuck in one of these recovery loops a few weeks ago, immediately after installing a new M.2 SSD as the boot drive. Windows kept trying boot from the previous drive and, of course, immediately failing to recovery mode. I finally selected the boot drive myself prior to startup, and the system came up properly. But the next time I restarted without selecting the drive (as an experiment), the same error occurred.

I was starting to get a little perplexed. I went into the BIOS and checked the system boot order--it was incorrect. D'oh. I set it to the correct order,saved, and restarted. The wrong drive got selected before I could get the boot order menu. Back into BIOS. Wrong order still. Corrected. Restarted. Wrong order, failed boot.

WTF? A bad chip?? Why won't it save??

Did the same thing about five more times and suddenly, everything was working correctly. Pushed my luck, went into BIOS--the boot order was correct, and has remained so every since. I have never seen something like this happen before in ~40 years of putzing with personal computers.

1. Potemkine! Silver badge

Re: Odd coinky-dink

Nobody expects the Murphy Inquisition!

3. Dave 15

Years ago

Years ago a friend of mine was suffering the same sorts of problems. It was a pretty simple fix, catch the borking interrupt and reboot the machine.... worked a treat

4. 502 bad gateway
    Happy

Putting Windows in charge of a public display board is asking for trouble, no doubt a technically illiterate polyester suit thought that an advertising/public information board required access to the internet, an email account, and spreadsheets to function as a slide show... epic fail. Keep these coming please, they always brighten my day.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

> no doubt a technically illiterate polyester suit thought

Irony alert!!

2. krf

I have at least two customers who use full sized Windows towers to run single electronic signs. My suggestions to the idea of using a $30 dollar Raspberry Pi without need of purchasing licenses falls on deaf (i.e. technically ignorant) ears.

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

That's because of security. the windows machine can connect to Microsoft everyday to download new antivirus updates -while the Pi would only be accessible over ssh, only from your machine only to supply new content.

2. Old Used Programmer

Been done...

Even that's overkill. Some "smart sign" companies a few years ago discovered that the Pi A+ (list: $20) could handle a sign and cleaned out the supply chain.

Since then, NEC has done a couple of lines of display monitors that can have embedded Pi Compute Modules built in.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Angel

It's a feature not a bug

If Windows is borking sale signage, I consider that a good thing.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like