back to article Linus Torvalds launches Linux kernel 5.13 after seven release candidates

Linus Torvalds has released version 5.13 of the Linux kernel after a very smooth development process that required seven release candidates. “So we had quite the calm week since rc7, and I see no reason to delay 5.13,” wrote the Linux maintainer-in-chief in his weekly State of the Kernel post. Torvalds rated the new release as …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Does it Miracast/wireless display out of the box ?

We use wireless projectors everywhere, and Windows 10 "just connects". We had a dev team try to pitch to us last week and their LInux lappies needed cables. Much to their red faced shame.

1. gerryg

Re: Does it Miracast/wireless display out of the box ?

I'm impressed that while you are obviously happy with your current choice of operating system you are tracking the development of Linux so closely.

I remember early versions of Linux when you needed to be root to successfully use a CD-ROM drive.

But on the other hand when I eventually get 5.13 I'll still be able to use all my hardware including a ten year old laptop. Good luck with Windows 11

1. Blackjack Silver badge

I remember when to play a MP3 file you needed to play with Terminal wizardy, good times.

2. Graham Dawson Silver badge

If they'd pitched up with macs they would have had the same problem.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Oh really?

1. Graham Dawson Silver badge

With an additional app isn't "out of the box". That's the same experience as Linux, in fact.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: We use wireless projectors everywhere,

That's probably a good idea, but buying projectors with only wireless connectivity, and without alternatives (e.g. also having connections for cables) is less of a good idea.

1. oiseau
        Facepalm

Re: We use wireless projectors everywhere,

That's probably a good idea...

Maybe.

Until some fupgrade wreaks havoc with the registry, your driver stops working and the wireless link to the projector vanishes.

O.

4. CAPS LOCK

I guess if they'd have know they could have installed MiracleCast: https://github.com/albfan/miraclecast

1. jake Silver badge

"I guess if they'd have know they could have installed MiracleCast: https://github.com/albfan/miraclecast"

No, thank you. It requires the systemd-cancer ... for no readily apparent reason, as usual.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I guess if they'd have know they could have installed MiracleCast

What part of "out of the box" did you miss ?

And that project doesn't look finished. Or rather it never worked on my Mint setup.

1. CAPS LOCK

"What part of "out of the box" did you miss ?"

Err, none. It was just a passing comment related to the ability to connect to wireless projectors. But thanks for pointing that out.

5. elsergiovolador Silver badge

It's not hard to imagine that wireless only projector could be built so that it will take screenshots of whatever is presented and used existing network connection to transfer the images to whoever is supervising the spying operation.

Ideally in a company setting projectors should be wired only.

6. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I was the original commentard here. 100% LInux at home. Went for a job interview which required a presentation.

To avoid the fun of a LibreOffice Impress "save as pptx" disaster I took my laptop. Good idea. RIght the way up till the manager turned the projector on, said "Press Windows-K and just connect".

That was the end of that. After 10 minutes they decided to find a cable and run it across the boardroom.

Having since got the job and arrange myriad pitches from vendors and suppliers, one thing I have seen is Windows 10 effortless connect every single time. It just does.

So I still use Linux. But if Windows was free, it might not be that simple.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

We need ReiserFS back...

Anyone with me?

1. bazza Silver badge

Re: We need ReiserFS back...

'fraid not...

3. sabroni Silver badge
    Trollface

Microsoft’s Azure Network Adapter

That'll be the Extend phase, yeah?

4. elsergiovolador Silver badge

Bumbling Apple

Did Apple pay for the M1 support implementation or relied again on free labour?

1. DocNo

Re: Bumbling Apple

lol - to think that Apple cares one way or the other. Sure, it's a nice to have and now that it exists I have no doubt that they could reference in the future. But implying they have some obligation to port Linux - ha!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like