back to article Windows Server 2022: Azure Edition slips into Public Preview

Amid all the emissions about Windows 11 this week came the stealthy arrival of the public preview of Windows Server 2022: Azure Edition. While its desktop sibling has had its ups and downs over the years, Windows Server has soldiered on behind the scenes. Windows Server 2019 was, according to Microsoft, "our fastest adopted …

1. -v(o.o)v-

The white fluffy stuff

It is colossally disappointing that MS is leaving on-prem users with less and less useful features.

Not everyone can or want to use the cloud. For several reasons that should be clear to anyone reading these forums.

Most glaring exhibit being the mountains of money the cloud brings to those peddling it. All that money comes from somewhere.

As for SMB - port 445 is blocked for a reason. That reason is that it exposes user passwords in cleartext with a simple "exploit"! I hope the QUIC transport takes this into account. Not that I will be using it anyways. No clouds here, just sunshine.

1. ITMA Silver badge

Re: The white fluffy stuff

Everything Microsoft to do has for some time appeared to be aimed at driving customers to suscription based services.

Hell they even confgiured the pretty dire OneDrive Sync crap to automatically start hoovering up your files from your PCs hard to "helpfully back them".

NO F**K OFF Microsoft!! I have my own backup solution thank you very much.

"Cloud" services have their uses, but I am no fan of using them for data storage unless they are the only viable option. Cloud storage (like OneDrive) breaks one of my fundamental principles:

The best way of ensuring control over your data is to have physical control of the devices it is stored on - in other words on drives/arrays I own, locked away in my machine rooms.

2. Ken Moorhouse Silver badge

"our fastest adopted Windows Server ever"

I thought adoption was a means of divesting responsibility for one's prior, perhaps ill-advised actions.

3. chivo243 Silver badge
    Facepalm

48TB of RAM, 64 sockets, and 2,048 logical processors I can either buy the hardware or the license?

How much for this license? GDP of a small country?

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

sounds like the spec you need to run Vista

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like