back to article India tweaks telecoms laws to make itself an even more attractive offshoring destination

India’s department of telecommunications has tweaked some rules in the hope they make the nation a more attractive offshoring destination. The revised rules make it possible for call centres and similar businesses to use resources in the cloud, and more easily operate as part of global customer service organisations. The core …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Offshoring destination…

Of other people’s money via telephone scams.

With so many scammers calling from India, I no longer deal with callers who have a sub continent accent.

Harsh? Probably.

India may one day become a pariah state.

1. Brad Ackerman
      Happy

Re: Offshoring destination…

I suspect the scammers don't exactly care about following either the current or previous rules, since, y'know, they're not following the (unchanged) laws that prohibit wire fraud.

This change is about allowing multinational companies to not run a totally separate PBX with reduced functionality for their users in India; the previous law was an own-goal that the Union government has finally fixed.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I had a call yesterday from my ISP who seems to have moved to India.

"Hello"

"This is internet service provider"

"No it isn't"

"Yes sir, I calling from internet service provider"

"No you really aren't"

"You are matherchod!"

<click>

1. ShadowSystems

You learn new swear words every day around here! WOOT! =-D

2. tip pc Silver badge
    Alert

We just can’t compete

With living costs in India a fraction of what they are in the UK it’s unbelievably hard to compete with their low wages.

The quality of work performed in India is also increasing. Typically the “talent” finds its way to jurisdictions that pay far more than domestic India salaries but it won’t be long before someone realises and pays above average to keep the smarts in India while still delivering complex solutions.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: We just can’t compete

"...to keep the smarts in India while still delivering complex solutions."

"Still"????? Anyone who has outsourced a complex solution to India hasn't stayed in business long enough to regret it.

Reminds me of:

"Just because nobody complains doesn't mean all parachutes are perfect." - Benny Hill

3. sanmigueelbeer
    Coat

“other service providers” (OSPs) — a term that describes any business conducted remotely by voice — to use networked resources

Professional Obfuscate Outbound-calling Pests Services (POOPS)

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

India and the other scam line operating nations are the reason I only answer calls from known numbers. I’m just so sick of these shysters being able to operate with impunity assisted by inaction from our own government and apparent complicity with the international banking industry.

Fraud only seems to be an issue when it is perpetrated against a government especially if it is committed by the “wrong” people without friends in high places.

1. Arthur the cat Silver badge

India and the other scam line operating nations are the reason I only answer calls from known numbers.

Unfortunately the GP I've just transferred to doesn't show their number, otherwise I'd do the same. However, given that callers can display pretty much any number they feel like, seeing a number doesn't really help.

5. s. pam Silver badge
    Coat

Of course they've got to get reliable networks

the internet backbone and local connectivity in India is appalingly unstable.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like