back to article Advert for coronavirus 'destroying' air 'purifier' exterminated by UK watchdog

The UK’s advertising watchdog has given a socially distanced, liberally hand-sanitised slap to a firm marketing a gizmo it claimed could clear the air of the coronavirus that causes the COVID-19 respiratory disease. The online ad for the Go-Vi Eradicator 19 claimed to zap both airborne and surface nasties in a split second – …

1. Thought About IT

Facebook

Should I be surprised that Facebook still have a page for this scam, with a link to the new website promoting it?

1. Nick Ryan Silver badge

Re: Facebook

No

2. Kane
      Coat

Re: Facebook

"Should I be surprised that Facebook still have a page for this scam, with a link to the new website promoting it?"

You, uh, you got a link to that website?

You know, for reasons?

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"their website was no longer live as a result of a change in their business model"

^ Brilliant.

3. Pascal Monett Silver badge

Interesting

So, first they said the tests had been done in France, then the tests had been done in Florida.

Obviously a simple keyboard mistake. I myself often type Florida instead of France, and I live in France. A common mistake, really, could happen to anyone </sarc>.

Now what I would like to know is, when the ASA asks for details on an ad, should that not include the results of the tests ? As in, proof that they were made, and here is why we claim what we claim ?

It's all well and good to promise that your kit has been tested, but if you have a shred of honesty, you provide the test results when an official governmental organization comes asking questions. You do so before the ASA needs to request them.

If you're honest, that is.

And if you're not, why is there not a full-blown inquiry including a police raid and prosecution follow-up ?

These shysters stuck their head up too far, it should be cut off sharply.

1. gandalfcn Silver badge

Re: Interesting

Go-Vi Ltd is obviously only adhering to BoJo's policies and actions. Tell lies about everything, shift the goalposts and then deny.

4. P. Lee

Its easy

Just put a mask over the purifier vent.

Because that would be effective, right?

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Re: Its easy

Well all the cloth masks we've been wearing for the last year have all been thoroughly tested.

I know I helped my nan set up an ISO13485 compliant QMS for the ones she made for her church group

5. Chris G

The article is wrong about rectal crystals, a lingam stone is more highly recommended for balancing and realigning chakras.

Lingam stones are elongated pebbles found in the Narmada holy river in India, brown, they look like a polished turd and are about as useful.

For a modest pecuniary donation to my personal chakra realignment fund, I can give you a therapeutic slap that will jolt enlightenment into every chakra at once.

1. Denarius

out of perverse curiosity...

what is the difference between a polished turd and any other ? Who was gross enough to try polishing one in first place ? No, dont publish pictures

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: out of perverse curiosity...

There's actually a Mythbusters episode on it. And, what do you know, it's possible to do it.

2. Zebo-the-Fat

You can't polish a turd, but you can roll it in glitter!

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

I think the first to try was Microsoft when they shit out Windows 10 and their PR department went into spin overdrive. Windows 11 is proof that they figured out the bit about the sprinkles.

2. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

>hey look like a polished turd and are about as useful.

How do you know? Perhaps their chakras would be far worse aligned without them

6. markr555

Coronavirus 'cells'?!

Hmmm, sounds like the manufacturer is really well up on virus physiology </sarcasm>

1. You aint sin me, roit
      Trollface

Re: Coronavirus 'cells'?!

Unless they are defending us from covid viruses that are getting together to set up terrorist cells...

Delta cell is causing havoc in the UK!

7. Will Godfrey Silver badge
    Unhappy

Wack-a--Mole

Never been known to succeed yet.

1. My-Handle

Re: Wack-a--Mole

You can never get them all... but the trick is to whack hard enough and often enough to convince most of them that popping up isn't the best of ideas.

To put it in other words, I never succeed in mowing my lawn - the grass still keeps growing even after I cut it. But I can keep it at a manageable level.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

UVC

I thought that UVC lamps (preferably far-UVC lamps) and Ozone generating air-purifiers could destroy coronavirus particles in the air?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like