back to article Toshiba engulfed by scandal again — and the prime minister is implicated

Japanese industrial giant Toshiba is attempting to recover from its third major corporate governance scandal in six years — and this time the nation's prime minister is alleged to have played a part. Toshiba’s first big mess was the 2015 accountancy scandal in which it admitted to over-stating revenue by $1.2 billion. Next …

1. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Sell the shares.

or, alternatively, hold them to account by Due Process of Law, and punish them accordingly.

2. Pascal Monett Silver badge

But Toshiba is not worthless. Selling shares over a disagreement with the Board is not a financially justified move.

Sure, if you're holding twenty shares in a company, or even two hundred, and said company does something you intrinsically cannot abide, then sell your shares, by all means, but remember that someone else is going to buy them.

Effissimo likely has much more than a paltry two hundred shares if it is in a position to raise its voice in a General Assembly. It is right to push for change and, if recent Toshiba history is anything to go by, it will likely get support from other major shareholders.

Skipping town is for people who don't care. If you care, you stay and try to make things better.

3. Disgusted Of Tunbridge Wells Silver badge
      Paris Hilton

Do you even know what shares are?

> Short sell all your shares, take the financial hit to get rid of them all as fast as possible, and leave the company fountaining red ink

What is it that you think shares do exactly?

1. The Man Who Fell To Earth Silver badge
        FAIL

You'd be surprised at how many people don't have a clue that the share price only indirectly affects the company, if at all, and can even help the company if, for example, it has a buy back program.

1. Disgusted Of Tunbridge Wells Silver badge

But why do those people have to have such strong opinions?

Messrs Donning and Kruger have a lot to answer for.

2. IGotOut Silver badge

Wow...

Company and country leader conspire and threaten in order to keep others in their place.

Must be a Japanese thing, can't think of a single other country's leader doing the same.

1. Potemkine! Silver badge

Re: Wow...

A government being Big Business puppet? That's indeed unbelievable...

1. vtcodger Silver badge

"A government being Big Business puppet?"

Probably more like a partner than a puppet. In many ways Japan operates more like a family with 126,000,00 members than like western countries. And I wouldn't have too much faith in the legal system fixing things. Conflicts in Japan rarely get hashed out in court. There are only 14000 lawyers in the whole country -- about the same as Alabama or Puerto Rico.

1. a pressbutton

I am sure the number of serious disagreements between Cos in Japan is not that much less.

So, there is probably a job not called 'lawyer' / 'judge' and a process like 'arbitration' that achieves the same end.

Does anyone know what is?

1. Dave314159ggggdffsdds Silver badge

The Yakuza. Seriously.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Couldn't ever happen in China, for example.

3. Ashto5

Leave them alone

Clearly Toshiba have totally got this

A couple more fumbles and the board will be replaced by the company that buys Toshiba for peanuts.

Personally I am more upset at the fact my Toshiba TV plays adverts at me and I have no way of stopping it.

Some of the TV ads are for violent programs that my youngest saw.

Let them fail.

1. ppmm

Re: Leave them alone

A home dns filter like pihole might be of use for blocking ads on IOT stuff such as TVs. You can install similar block lists on some home routers (including those that can run openwrt), though the saving (~GBP30) on hardware might be offset by more setup complexity.

2. MiguelC Silver badge

Re: Leave them alone

If I'd bought a new TV and it spewed ads at me with no option to turn them off, I'd return the set and buy another brand

Perhaps that's just me, but if many did the same....

4. Duffaboy

I would never buy Tosh again

The way they treated me as a loyal customer for several years and always singing their praises to my customers, I would never ever touch their products again nor endorse them. Never have I ever wanted a company like Tosh to go under but for then "Toshiba" I look forward to that day happening vey soon

5. elsergiovolador Silver badge

Refreshing

It's refreshing that such things are actually being investigated in Japan.

Here we have dead laws and institutions and corruption is rife. Basically the ministers treat the UK as their own company and donors are their customers.

If only they could get those pesky tax payers to shut up...

1. Dave314159ggggdffsdds Silver badge

Re: Refreshing

Conspiracy theories aren't reality, however much you hate Boris. And Japan is actually a gangster state, so...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like