back to article India’s IT lobby lashes forecast of automation-induced jobs bloodbath

India’s National Association of Software and Service Companies (NASSCOM) has strongly criticised a Bank of America prediction that automation would cause three million job losses in its industry. NASSCOM late last week published [PDF] a document diplomatically says the Bank of America (BoA) report “has some great insights on …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Oh I don't know....

If by automation they mean a program doing some random thing as a response to a problem/event with no understanding or thought behind it, then I can probably understand where they are getting the figures from.

Automation like that may well actually reduce the time I have to spend recovering systems after our remotely located friends have had their way with them (at least if an automated task fails it may well stop there instead of going on and creating an even bigger mess)!

2. elsergiovolador Silver badge

Automation in customer service sector should be banned until it offers a human level of service and is fit for purpose.

We all know these systems are not being used to help customers, but to gatekeep and to make sure as many customers as possible give up on whatever the problem they have.

Snubbing customers requests by a human is more difficult and also risk whistle-blowing, whereas automated scripts don't complain and don't have emotions.

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

>Automation in customer service sector should be banned until it offers a human level of service and is fit for purpose.

You think we could make an AI capable of articulating "read the fsckign manual" and "computer says no" ?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like