back to article How hot is it right now? 'Water park catching fire and burning down' hot

A New Jersey water park has had to modify its summer reopening plans after one of its star attractions caught fire and partially burned down. The 'High Anxiety' waterslide lived up to its name when it was engulfed in flames on Tuesday night, as you can see below. Youtube Video The attraction at Mountain Creek Water Park in …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Facepalm

Follow up?

Beyond the oxymoronic 'Water park catching fire and burning down' headline and the article's amusing asides, this reflects a problem across the US. Often the only regulatory barrier that companies have to face is the initial building permit which can be a very cursory process. Beyond that, without a catastrophe to generate local public demand for action, the companies are home free. I suspect this will not affect the crowds that will show up on opening day.

1. jake Silver badge

Re: Follow up?

The regulations and frequency of inspections depends on the jurisdiction. This kind of thing is not a Federal issue, rather it is handled at the State level. If you are worried about it happening while you are there, do your due diligence before spending vacation money in any given State.

Note that this one happened when the park was not open for business. I rather suspect a plastic (fiberglass) waterslide wouldn't be very easy to burn down if it was in operation, with water running through it.

1. Robert Grant

> This kind of thing is not a Federal issue, rather it is handled at the State level.

This explains why it's a problem across the US.

2. a_yank_lurker

At least is not the Cayuhoga River as it meandered through The Mistake on the Lake (Cleveland, OH), which did catch fire on several occasions.

1. chivo243 Silver badge
        Mushroom

The Mistake on the Lake? Being from Smellinois, the Zion Nuke plant had this moniker....

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Unless you count a hay ride somewhere, I seriously doubt there are any amusement parks that don't have some kind of regulation.

4. EricB123 Bronze badge

Remember the Ohio State Fair back in July of 2017? One car of the ride fell off and a soon to be Marines recruit flew to his death. A few other kids and adults became airborne as well, landing on concrete but somehow survived. The cause of the ride's failure was determined to be "excessive corrosion". Like, is there any other kind? Oh, the ride had several recent inspections. Hello, Ohio?

2. Crypto Monad Silver badge

It wasn't a Sea Parks by any chance was it?

1. jake Silver badge
    2. Paratrooping Parrot
      Mushroom

It's the funnest, wettest, most splish splashy place in the world!!!

3. Dan 55 Silver badge

If she had said that her parents had drowned I'd be the happiest man in the world!

4. Annihilator

That seems like a weird place to go on fire...

3. jake Silver badge

"The Garden State was home to (Class) Action Park"

I think a little research will show that Action Water Park is the old name of Mountain Creek Water Park. Twice.

1. David 132 Silver badge
      Thumb Up

Indeed, as 30 seconds searching on Wikipedia would have confirmed.

2. InvariantCaller

… as immortalized in the (ahem) movie Action Point.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Action_Point?wprov=sfti1

4. Disk0
    Thumb Up

Rebrand

to “Maximum Anxiety”. Add crocodiles for effect.

1. jake Silver badge

Re: Rebrand

Why make life miserable for the crocodiles? They didn't do anything to you ... NJ would only be comfy for crocs about 3-4 months out of the year.

"Garden State" my pasty white Californian butt ...

5. Fruit and Nutcase Silver badge
    Thumb Up

High Anxiety

Fans of Mel Brooks' work would of course know...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_Anxiety

1. yetanotheraoc Silver badge

Re: High Anxiety

My sister and I saw that in the theater when it first came out. As Hitchcock fans, we were the two idiots screaming with laughter at every scene. I'm pretty sure we ruined the movie for some of the "mere" Mel Brooks fans.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I remember when I first saw the original Frankenstein films on TV being amazed, having already seen Mel Brook's Young Frankenstein (sorry, Fraunkensteen), to find how much of ther Mel Brook's film had been reworking scenes from the original films with added comedy.

2. Fruit and Nutcase Silver badge

Mel Brooks on Hitchcock and 'High Anxiety'

https://www.npr.org/2013/12/27/256597762/mel-brooks-im-an-egot-i-dont-need-any-more?t=1624284698973

The Wikipedia article also adds;

After viewing the film, Hitchcock sent Brooks a case containing six magnums of 1961 Château Haut-Brion wine with a note that read, "A small token of my pleasure, have no anxiety about this."

6. yetanotheraoc Silver badge

Doubts

How does a fire like this start? At night? In the off-season? If I were the insurer I would be sending my own investigator to look. Due diligence and all that. At a minimum it might be time to adjust the premiums.

1. Kevin McMurtrie Silver badge

Re: Doubts

Maybe a rusty old pump left on and dry? Or it could have been what I thought of when I first read the article header - NJ water pollution went critical.

2. jake Silver badge

Faulty and/or corroded wiring would be my guess.

In some parts of the country it might be a homeless folks campfire that got out of control, but Vernon is in that "one hour drive from Manhatten" zone that only allows rich people to exist within it.

3. Dan 55 Silver badge

How does a fire like this start? At night? In the off-season? If I were the insurer I would be sending my own investigator to look.

They'd need to make a mash potato model.

4. W.S.Gosset

14yo kids running away fast, sprang immediately to mind...

7. Paul Johnston

Danger Mouse

Does anyone else think the logo in the video should have been credited to Cosgrave and Hall?

Just a thought.

8. feedb4cker

A fire? At Sea Parks?

9. The Oncoming Scorn Silver badge
    Pint

Me & Names Again

Kept reading it as Venom.

10. hatti

Perhaps a transfusion for the park with water that has a lower flash point

1. jake Silver badge

The lowest flash point at a waterpark is at the bottom of the slide(s).

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like